Bitter aftertaste when vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snssewell

Jul 15, 2011
GA - USA
I read a lot about a burnt taste and such, but mine leaves a bitter after taste. Can't really say that it taste burnt. Is that normal? Not sure what kind of model I have but its the one that looks just like a cigarette with the battery and a cartomizer (I guess thats what its called). I been refilling them with different flavors from sample packs I ordered and I can taste the flavor but there is always that bitter taste to it.

I ordered the Joye 510 manual and it should be here in the next couple of days. Just wondering if that bitter taste is normal or if it could be cause I got a cheap starter kit. It has always had that even before I refilled them and smoked the original juice that was in there. It was a menthol starter kit if that could make a difference. :confused:

Kind of hoping someone will say that it will go away when my 510 gets here.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
If you are refilling a cartomizer that had another flavor in it before, you may run into trouble with flavor unless the newer flavor/s are compatible...
That said, IMO, you will find that vaping ecig "juice" is not the same as the food or beverage or whatever in the real form.
The ingredients needed for making it taste like something varies, but all in all, it's not the same.

You will find, by trying flavors that people here recommend, on a clean cartomizer or atty, are more to your liking than others... you owe it to yourself to try them.
Best to get smaller samples so you are not stuck with a bunch of something you don't like.

* If you vape a cartomizer 'til it's dry, you can burn the wick and/or filler, making it taste bad everytime after...

snssewell

Jul 15, 2011
GA - USA
If you are refilling a cartomizer that had another flavor in it before, you may run into trouble with flavor unless the newer flavor/s are compatible...
That said, IMO, you will find that vaping ecig "juice" is not the same as the food or beverage or whatever in the real form.
The ingredients needed for making it taste like something varies, but all in all, it's not the same.

You will find, by trying flavors that people here recommend, on a clean cartomizer or atty, are more to your liking than others... you owe it to yourself to try them.
Best to get smaller samples so you are not stuck with a bunch of something you don't like.

* If you vape a cartomizer 'til it's dry, you can burn the wick and/or filler, making it taste bad everytime after...

Yeah I got 15 different 3ml bottles for testing. Right now I am vaping Peppermint Patty and it totally tastes like Peppermint Patty when I inhale :) just when I exhale I have this bitter taste on my tongue that seems to stay there. I even rinsed one of the cartomizers with hot water but it still had that after taste when I refilled it with new juice.

I was just wondering if that taste was normal, since it is sort of a tobacco kind taste I guess. Hard to describe really. LOL. I think the closest description would be the taste that a analog cig would leave in your mouth just a little more nasty ha ha ha.

No bitter after taste from my cartos--sounds like it might be an ingredient in your juice.

Ok so it's not supposed to do that then I am sort of leaning towards it being due to the fact that I got a cheap starter set to try vaping. It did it with the original cartomizers as well as with the refill juice and the refill juice is from one of the sites I found on here. Thank you so much for you feedback that it's not supposed to be like that. Now I am looking forward to my 510 even more to get the real taste of vaping! :)

snssewell

Jul 15, 2011
GA - USA
I've tried several flavors as well. Have you found any that just tastes like tobacco? My husband has like 500 flavors but, they are all off the wall! If I can find a flavor I like, it'll make it so much easier to quit smoking.

I kind of like the different flavor ones. I smoke menthol analog so I did get a menthol starter kit....which kind of makes me wonder if that is what the bitter taste is since all 3 cartomizers do it and of course all 3 of them were pre-filled with the menthol from the manufacturer.

Anyway, I have not tried all of the flavors yet since I just got them yesterday, but I liked all the ones I tried so far which were fuzzy navel and some tropical fruit mix and peppermint patty. I have cut down from smoking 1 pack of analogs a day to maybe smoking 2-3 cigs a day within 2 days. When my 2 packs of analogs are gone I won't buy anymore and just use the e-cig.

Have you checked here? FreedomSmokeUSA Someone from here recommended that page to me and that is where I got my 3ml sample packs. They have a 5 pack sampler of Tobacco flavors, but I don't know what they would taste like. But I can say that their peppermint patty tastes just like peppermint patty and the fuzzy navel tastes like fuzzy navel and their shipping is super fast. They are in AZ so right next door to you. You would probably have them next day. ;)

Good luck on the quitting process. Even with the E-cig it takes some will power not to light up an analog cig every now and then. But its definitely easier with the e-cig then going cold turkey. At least you can fool yourself that you are still smoking in some way. :p

Good luck with the quitting.....you can do it!!! And I hope you find a flavor that is right for you! :)

snssewell

Jul 15, 2011
GA - USA
bear in mind, that different chemistries occur in our mouths at different times: i.e. if you are recently quitting analogs there is a lot going on ... in other words, at different times, i get bitterness too, and other times not, thinking maybe it's my reaction to the vapor/juice ...

You make a good point. I am in the process of quitting analogs, and yes sometimes the bitter taste is stronger and sometimes not so strong. Hmmmm.... I will see how things will taste when my 510 arrives which I believe is not pre filled. :) Thank you for all your help.

snssewell

Jul 15, 2011
GA - USA
If your using the same cartomizers and just refilling them then yes it could just be the used cartomizers. Try some new blank carto's and put the new flavors in them. Cartomizers only last 3-4 refills before you should throw them away and use new ones.

Yes if it is not normal to be bitter, then I am almost certain its the menthol juice that was pre-filled in the cartomizers of the starter kit. USPS finally updated their tracking info and my 510 will be here tomorrow!!! :headbang: So I will try it with that and update if the bitter taste is gone!

snssewell

Jul 15, 2011
GA - USA
Try using a atty. Dripping may be more to your liking. When you get your 510 try that.

I have read about it, but have not gone into much detail with it. But I have seen some vids on Youtube about it, just have not watched them yet. Also seen some really cool drip tips online, but wasn't sure if it would work with my model that I have now which is one of the reasons why I ordered the 510! Easier to buy accessories if you know what kind you have lol. Well I will know more tomorrow! So excited!!! :)

snssewell

Jul 15, 2011
GA - USA
Just a quick update. Got my 510 today and its much better!!!! There is still a slight aftertaste but not nearly as bad as it was with my old E-cig. I think the bitter taste comes from mint/menthol type juices. I've tried a few different ones today where one of them was Razzlemint and I did get a bit of a bitter after taste from it and my starter set that I was using before was a menthol starter kit. SO I think that is what the problem was. I did read that sometimes it takes a few days to break the cartridges in....which brings up another question.

When I unpacked my 510 today and took out a brand new cartridge it was already moist inside. It was also packed in a plastic wrapper. The liquid that was in there had a bad smell (to me anyway) I could not make out what it was so I just blew some of the fluid out into a paper towel, added some drops of juice and started vaping.

Is that normal that new cartridges are moistened when they are sold? Or were they maybe pre filled? The website where I ordered them didn't say that they would have juice in them but it also didn't say they wouldn't. It just didn't say anything so I assumed they were empty carts. Thought maybe its just so they don't dry out and need lots of juice to get started and to prevent a newbie to burn out anything? Is that it?

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I can't answer those questions but will say that depending on which 510 type (auto or manual - with manual, i believe, the batt is closed and dripping is ok), you may eventually drip on it... not sure but i think not good on an auto batt.
just saying because at some point you will want to try dripping... imo, you can't get a cleaner taste than with dripping.
there is a learning curve, but when you are ready, it shouldn't be a problem for you.
Seems like you are making good progress anyway... keep it up.

snssewell

Jul 15, 2011
GA - USA
I can't answer those questions but will say that depending on which 510 type (auto or manual - with manual, i believe, the batt is closed and dripping is ok), you may eventually drip on it... not sure but i think not good on an auto batt.
just saying because at some point you will want to try dripping... imo, you can't get a cleaner taste than with dripping.
there is a learning curve, but when you are ready, it shouldn't be a problem for you.
Seems like you are making good progress anyway... keep it up.

Thanks, Yes I love it. I was telling my husband that I went from being hooked on cigs to being hooked to vaping! HA HA HA! I may just start a new thread about the 510 cartridge question :) Probably easier to get a answer if I put 510 in the subject line. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread