Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
FT and 3Fvape are legitimate vendors based in China. There is nothing "black market" about them. Buying something from your corner dealer, whether a "real" juul pod or a "genuine" Dank Vapes THC cartridge is black market. That, or if you're an online only person, some source you buy from paid in Bitcoin (which isn't as anonymous as people like to think it is) and shipped to an anonymous mailbox.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
What is the black market? When you hear black market, I think of Fasttech or even 3f vapes, what do you consider the black market.
I don't see fasttech or similar sites as black market. They offer items listed properly and represented truthfully. Black market is for illegal transactions and often will often represent fake items as real.

Since fasttech and similar sites openly tell you if the item is a clone of not, what they are doing is not technically illegal and their transactions can be conducted on the open market.

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
Like everything else- there are 'degrees' of validity.
I do not consider FT or 3F 'black market'- but definitely 'gray market'- in the sense the items could be / are probably legit as they are stated to be; BUT if it was found out the sources they use are not a typical / IP owner sanctioned supply chain, it would not be a complete surprise. There's also the fact they sell clones- marked as such, which probably infringe on some company or individual's IP. This is vs the "authentic" designer items you can buy on any corner in NYC at a fraction of the price of the original (for CASH only), which to me is black market.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Since fasttech and similar sites openly tell you if the item is a clone of not, what they are doing is not technically illegal and their transactions can be conducted on the open market.
Some of the stuff they sell is illegal for a variety of reasons; trademark infringement, misrepresented country-of-origin information on the packaging, and so on. However it seems they've cleaned up their act considerably compared to what it used to be, say five years ago.

Just because something is technically illegal doesn't mean it won't be sold openly. There is always the question of enforcement.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Fasttech and other major Chinese sellers usually sell the genuine product in my experience, unlike Ebay.

My one iStick Pico mod purchase from Ebay turned out to be a fake. It vaped, but was poorly made. The display was a cheap coarse dot matrix display mounted at a slant. The menu had no 4 click feature to set up the power in TC mode and the general workmanship was under par. Ebay issued a quick refund. I didn't return it because the seller was in China and shipping it back would have cost me 4 times the purchase price.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Some of the stuff they sell is illegal for a variety of reasons; trademark infringement, misrepresented country-of-origin information on the packaging, and so on. However it seems they've cleaned up their act considerably compared to what it used to be, say five years ago.

Just because something is technically illegal doesn't mean it won't be sold openly. There is always the question of enforcement.
From how I understood it, since they are located in China and they are not breaking their local laws, it is technically not illegal. This is why they can't really be stopped from doing it. Now whether that is a morally acceptable business plan is another subject.

Reactions: stols001

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
file.jpg

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
That's what I was confused about. I been vaping for 5 plus years. And never met anyone who knew a black market vape dealer.
So far, there isn't much demand for nicotine based vape items to be sold on the black market so most vapers do not see it happening. At least not yet...

Mostly only underage vapers illegally seeking nicotine vape items currently sees that side black market, or in countries that have banned vaping.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
From how I understood it, since they are located in China and they are not breaking their local laws, it is technically not illegal. This is why they can't really be stopped from doing it. Now whether that is a morally acceptable business plan is another subject.
So you're telling me that after the PMTA deadline next May (or whenever it actually ends up occurring), anything China Inc wants to sell you in terms of vape-stuff will still be "technically not illegal"?

Good to know! :w00t:

It may be "technically not illegal" in China, but is is technically illegal to import such things into the USA, and as a retail buyer, you are the "importer or record".

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Technically, if the FDA or state governments ban flavored e-liquid, and you "know a guy" selling DIY e-liquids made in his kitchen and he is selling it to you, that is "black market".

Chinese online vendor Ali Baba or Ali Express sells counterfeit AW batteries as authentic AW. AW hasn't made or sold a battery in 3 years. That's black market, too.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Black Market refers to an illegal market or trade. Black Market can be run from within a legit market, does not have to be a sketchy dealer in a dark alley. About a month or 2 ago in NY state (I believe but could be wrong), a large e-cig counterfeit market was busted. Or, essentially a black market. These were sold out of legit retailers, c-stores and gas stations.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
So you're telling me that after the PMTA deadline next May (or whenever it actually ends up occurring), anything China Inc wants to sell you in terms of vape-stuff will still be "technically not illegal"?

Good to know! :w00t:

It may be "technically not illegal" in China, but is is technically illegal to import such things into the USA, and as a retail buyer, you are the "importer or record".

I guess the loophole would be if the package/contents are labeled "for cannabis use only" .
The subterfuge would fail if the package contained nicotine, of course, but many of the products "we" use could conceivably be used exclusively for cannabis and it's derivatives.

Cheers
I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread