Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Hello vapers.

I am a bit concerned about my vaping habits.

I just got back from the doctor, and, after vaping ecigs for about 2 months, my blood oxygen level was down to %90.

I began vaping with the idea it was better for my lungs.

Now I'm not so sure.

While using combustion my oxygen level was always above %95....

Any ideas out there ? Similar stories ? Observations ? I'd like to hear it.

I got some input from another forum. This user said :

Smoking involves the intake of carbon monoxide and cyanide. When your oxygen levels are measured using pulse oximetry, the device doesn't actually measure the level of oxygen in your blood, instead it measures the percentage of bound haemoglobin. Normally haemoglobin is bound to oxygen, so this is usually a good proxy. However, haemoglobin actually tends to bind more easily to carbon monoxide. So people with high levels of carbon monoxide in their blood stream, such as smokers, can have really healthy looking sats readings - but this may not be a true reflection of their oxygen levels. The presence of cyanide can also increase oxygen level readings on a pulse probe (although the reasoning behind this is different).

Do you think it's possible that now that you're vaping you're getting true readings, whereas before your smoking was masking the real oxygen levels? If you were a heavy smoker I'm guessing this may possibly be the case.

So !
    Any thought on the matter would be great appreciated.

:vapor:-DJ Colonel Corn-:vapor:

Last edited:

Katmar

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa

Hello vapers.

I am a bit concerned about my vaping habits.

I just got back from the doctor, and, after vaping ecigs for about 2 months, my blood oxygen level was down to %90.

I began vaping with the idea it was better for my lungs.

Now I'm not so sure.

While using combustion my oxygen level was always above %95....

Any ideas out there ? Similar stories ? Observations ? I'd like to hear it.

I got some input from another forum. This user said :

Smoking involves the intake of carbon monoxide and cyanide. When your oxygen levels are measured using pulse oximetry, the device doesn't actually measure the level of oxygen in your blood, instead it measures the percentage of bound haemoglobin. Normally haemoglobin is bound to oxygen, so this is usually a good proxy. However, haemoglobin actually tends to bind more easily to carbon monoxide. So people with high levels of carbon monoxide in their blood stream, such as smokers, can have really healthy looking sats readings - but this may not be a true reflection of their oxygen levels. The presence of cyanide can also increase oxygen level readings on a pulse probe (although the reasoning behind this is different).

Do you think it's possible that now that you're vaping you're getting true readings, whereas before your smoking was masking the real oxygen levels? If you were a heavy smoker I'm guessing this may possibly be the case.

So !
    Any thought on the matter would be great appreciated.

I think it's possible smoking was masking the true Oxygen Sats. Having said that, it's a good idea to follow up. Also, practice deep breathing exercises. This will help your lungs clear out the gunk from smoking and probably increase sats. Keep us posted.

jpwr25

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    You are correct in that pulse oximetry cannot differentiate between oxyhemoglobin (carrying oxygen) and carboxyhemoglobin (carrying carbon monoxide). Your reading could be artificially high while smoking tobacco. That said, if I may ask, do you have existing pulmonary pathology (e.g. COPD)? 89% SPo2 is quite low otherwise. Take care and please keep us posted on your follow ups!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 27, 2013
    United States
    You are correct in that pulse oximetry cannot differentiate between oxyhemoglobin (carrying oxygen) and carboxyhemoglobin (carrying carbon monoxide). Your reading could be artificially high while smoking tobacco. That said, if I may ask, do you have existing pulmonary pathology (e.g. COPD)? 89% SPo2 is quite low otherwise. Take care and please keep us posted on your follow ups!

I was going to ask if you were dead yet with this low a spo2.

I do hope you get better, that's not particularly a good reading. When I smoked I think I would regularly see 98%, still felt as if I were going to die every morning but my spo2 was good.

Maurice

Katmar

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I was going to ask if you were dead yet with this low a spo2.

I do hope you get better, that's not particularly a good reading. When I smoked I think I would regularly see 98%, still felt as if I were going to die every morning but my spo2 was good.

Maurice

Although that is a low reading, it's not a death sentence. People with readings in the high 80s can live quite well, although it is preferred to be above 92%. Mine went from around 92-93 up to 98-99 when I quit smoking. His reading could be for so many reasons. That's why it's good to have it rechecked a few times.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 27, 2013
    United States
    Although that is a low reading, it's not a death sentence. People with readings in the high 80s can live quite well, although it is preferred to be above 92%. Mine went from around 92-93 up to 98-99 when I quit smoking. His reading could be for so many reasons. That's why it's good to have it rechecked a few times.

Does not below 92 dictate supplementary O2? Also does not prolonged low O2 levels effect mental status?

Maurice

Katmar

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Does not below 92 dictate supplementary O2? Also does not prolonged low O2 levels effect mental status?

Maurice

Values under 90 are considered low. The OP title said 89, but his post said 90. Also, we don't know if this is prolonged. I am sure his dr. will keep an eye on it. He may just not be taking enough deep breaths. He is on the fence, if indeed, it is prolonged. And no, does not dictate supplementary 02. He would need more blood work, etc. The pulse ox only measures the oxygen saturation in the blood. Sounds like he should be rechecked often and, if still, low, more tests to check for COPD, etc.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member

First of all, thanks to everyone for their interest and contributions to the thread !
    I was diagnosed with the early stage of COPD about 4 years ago.
    I have blood oxygen testing every month.
    The reason I titled the thread '%89' and later wrote '%90' is because, the reading was %89 until the last second when it jumped to %90. So my memory remembered the other reading at the time of the post.
    Today I was re-tested and it showed %95, more my normal range, but still low.
    I feel more energy without analog cigarettes, and am still glad I chose e-cigs.

Again thank you all for our concern and interest.
    I'd like to keep the thread open for continued discussion.
    Peace.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 27, 2013
    United States
    95% is a great deal better than 89-90% for sure. With any luck you can keep it going up rather than down, if vaping helps great.

Consider investing in a good air filtration system in your home to help reduce any additional stuff in your air at home. It may not do a great deal to help your spo2 numbers but it my at the very least help you breathe a bit easier.

Maurice

First of all, thanks to everyone for their interest and contributions to the thread !
    I was diagnosed with the early stage of COPD about 4 years ago.
    I have blood oxygen testing every month.
    The reason I titled the thread '%89' and later wrote '%90' is because, the reading was %89 until the last second when it jumped to %90. So my memory remembered the other reading at the time of the post.
    Today I was re-tested and it showed %95, more my normal range, but still low.
    I feel more energy without analog cigarettes, and am still glad I chose e-cigs.

Again thank you all for our concern and interest.
    I'd like to keep the thread open for continued discussion.
    Peace.

Do you have a pulse oximeter at home?

You can get a lot of info with a good one, and if all your doctor is using to check O2 sat is a pulse oximeter you might be able to save some visits.

Mrs, qg has severe COPD (she's on oxy 24/7), and I got one of these for her.

It's a Comtec CMS50EW. Cost at this supplier is ~$100.00. (About $50 less than most other places and the customer support is good.) It has a color display with graphic pulse, low/high level alarms, Bluetooth and USB connections to your PC, and can store up to 24 hrs. of data at a sample rate of 10 secs.

Best deal I could find. You can get a finger sleeve attachment and wear it all night long to see how you are doing while you sleep. (Good for apnea and CPAP, too).

If you decide to get one be sure the model # is CMS50EW. The "W" is the important part. It signifies the BT capability. The ones without are exactly the same product, just no BT, and they are sometimes sold at the same price. The BT equipped is just a slightly updated version. Not only can you download the stored data wirelessly, you can also use it to keep up a real-time display on your computer.

Last edited:

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2012
    Waikiki Hawaii
    Wow! Thanks for that. Fortunately I don't have COPD - but I have wondered about my sleep quality. Also my hubs is on a CPAP - but I'm thinking it may need readjustment so that oximeter might be a good way to check both issues.

And hang in there DJ CC. As you continue vaping you may find some more oxygen benefits yet (but stay hydrated - specially with the heatwaves that a lot of the mainland goes through at this time of year)

Do you have a pulse oximeter at home?

You can get a lot of info with a good one, and if all your doctor is using to check O2 sat is a pulse oximeter you might be able to save some visits.

Mrs, qg has severe COPD (she's on oxy 24/7), and I got one of these for her.

It's a Comtec CMS50EW. Cost at this supplier is ~$100.00. (About $50 less than most other places and the customer support is good.) It has a color display with graphic pulse, low/high level alarms, Bluetooth and USB connections to your PC, and can store up to 24 hrs. of data at a sample rate of 10 secs.

Best deal I could find. You can get a finger sleeve attachment an wear it all night long to see how you are doing while you sleep. (Good for apnea and CPAP, too).

If you decide to get one be sure the model # is CMS50EW. The "W" is the important part. It signifies the BT capability. The ones without are exactly the same product, just no BT, and they are sometimes sold at the same price. The BT equipped is just a slightly updated version. Not only can you download the stored data wirelessly, you can also use it to keep up a real-time display on your computer.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Hi folks ---

Just a note here to say, my blood oxygen level on their meter is back down to %90.

Was going to bring up the whole 'CO2 binds better than O2' theory to my doc, but, my doc is a quack, so I didn't bother.

Hoping to bring it up with a (hopeful) new doc.

Katmar

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Hi folks ---

Just a note here to say, my blood oxygen level on their meter is back down to %90.

Was going to bring up the whole 'CO2 binds better than O2' theory to my doc, but, my doc is a quack, so I didn't bother.

Hoping to bring it up with a (hopeful) new doc.

As quad said, you should invest in a pulse oximeter so you can see when your 02 is low. It may be because you are dehydrated, not taking enough deep breaths and you can fix it as you see it. Most people get an increase in 02 readings after vaping. I hope you are not an exception...keep us posted.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread