Blood pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HemiHonda

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Arizona
I've been to the doctor several times since I quit smoking and started vaping, my blood pressure is perfect. It used to be high, but nothing too concerning. I was at the orthopedic surgeon yesterday and the nurse asked if I smoked and I replied: "I haven't had 1 cigarette in almost 2 years. She replied: "That would explain your perfect blood pressure. Nicotine raises your blood pressure" I didn't say anything else, but " thank you!" If she only knew I vaped 30 minutes straight on 6mg of nicotine right before my appointment. The point of this lengthy post...Obviously nicotine isn't that bad. Maybe it's the other 90 trillion chemicals in a cigarette?! I'm just saying.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nicotine can raise your' BP just like caffeine can. It depends on your' tolerance. Cigarettes raises your' BP because (and this is just a theory) your' heart needs to pump more oxygen to compensate for the smoke your' inhaling.
This raises the question and deserves a distinction. Is it the nicotine or is it the smoke. We have anecdotal evidence right here on this thread that it isn't the nicotine. Through the years we smokers and non smokers alike thought we were only addicted to the nicotine in our smokes and thought we smoked so much because we needed our nic fix. The proof is out there for anyone interested enough to look for it that it wasn't the nicotine....it was the 1000's of other things combined in that little tube of paper and then lit on fire that was detrimental to our health. The "lit on fire" is the smoking gun here. As always, JMHO

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
My norm is like 105/65. I always think that's low, but my doc says it's great. And that's my BP after driving to the clinic while chain vaping and slamming my morning cappuccino.

When I smoked and was 30lbs heavier, I used to weigh/pressure myself every Sunday at the supermarket. I still have all the little slips... 117-125 over 69-80 was my range then. My BP has dropped pretty dramatically. Also interesting is my heart rate. Now I always nail 60BPM, back then it was upwards of 70. Might have to do with checking after walking around in the supermarket vs. sitting idle in a waiting room, but it's still a dramatic reduction.

I think nicotine delivery is a lot more efficient via combustion than vaporization. I'm vaping a measly 3mg vs. whatever was in my Camels, so I would say based on my BP that nicotine has a lot but not everything to do with it. I know my body had to work a lot harder to get air when I smoked, and I don't need test results to point it out. I can feel it.

Last edited:

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
Not quite 'scientific' but perhaps better than anecdotal. Looks like my
systolic went down about one point and my diastolic went up three when I added nicotine back in my life after six years.
Average of 9 readings before vaping 131.56/83.33
Average of 35 readings after 130.83/86.83

All but one were at home and the one done during my annual physical was the third lowest reading. Wife suffers from "white coat syndrome" and hers was the very highest. Readings taken at random times of the day and range from December 2015 to earlier this month.

Amazing what you can do with a spreadsheet once you learn where the "Paste Special" button is.

Ariben

Aug 1, 2016
New Hampshire
My primary care doctor and my cardiologist both say they are pleased when a patient goes from smoke to vape. They admit they do not know all of the science behind ecigs, but that it has to be better than inhaling smoke into the lungs. In fact it was my primary doctor who several years ago refused to prescribe Chantix. She sees it as being potentially a dangerous drug with the ability to cause behavioural havoc.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I've been to the doctor several times since I quit smoking and started vaping, my blood pressure is perfect. It used to be high, but nothing too concerning. I was at the orthopedic surgeon yesterday and the nurse asked if I smoked and I replied: "I haven't had 1 cigarette in almost 2 years. She replied: "That would explain your perfect blood pressure. Nicotine raises your blood pressure" I didn't say anything else, but " thank you!" If she only knew I vaped 30 minutes straight on 6mg of nicotine right before my appointment. The point of this lengthy post...Obviously nicotine isn't that bad. Maybe it's the other 90 trillion chemicals in a cigarette?! I'm just saying.
A lot of the early research done on nicotine was in conjunction with the combustion of tobacco and doesn't apply to us at all although the abstinence only crowd sure likes to use it against us...

I would have told her just to see the look on her face after saying that :D

I had really high PB before the switch and now I'm average, not perfect but way way better...

Reactions: HemiHonda
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread