Blu review after a year of use

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonG

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2010
Jville, AL
Hahah. Cheers on that meems. I'm just too self-conscious, being 18 and soon to move to a rather trendy part of town, to be seen sucking on a mini-maglite or an e-cig with a pimple. (no offense to the rest of you, obviously. :p)

never tried a blu so can't speak one way or the other. But I did start with the similar 510. Like many others here I have given up on the "form over function" idea. I now have what I need to be satisfied and that is all that matters. I will give up a little in what my ecig looks like to have better performance and 3 days battery life instead of 3 hours. The point is there is something for everyone and everyone has their own individual taste and needs; if this wasn't the case, there would only be one model made by a bunch of different suppliers and we would have no choice.

Your review is appreciated

Welcome to ECF.

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm
my only issues with a blu or vk or any mini for that matter is battery life, power and I don't care for cartomizers... guess that makes me a bad candidate for one ;-) probably not great for chain vaping.
Congrats to you though... I really liked reading this thread...

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Sure, they had good atomizers come in the mail now and again, but from what I've seen (and I've used A LOT of cartos from them trust me), their quality really is very consistently high, with a consistent good vapor and a better throat hit. I can't say it comes close to a penstyle, or even an analogue ciggy because truth be told, I've never touched either.
I'm not trying to convert you guys back to Blu or anything, I'm just letting newbies to vaping know not to rely solely on anecdotes of Blu from pre-December.

Well that statement sums it up quite well!! Since you never smoked and have no experience with better models, then, no disrespect intended, but you would be the last person I would want advising me on what is a good personal vaporizer. For a long time smoker, you telling them that blu is a good device based on your extreme lack of experience, will not be helping them. Again, not trying to be harsh, just stating it directly and not wanting a desperate new person to misunderstand.

jwtaylor27

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2011
Alabama
I personaly own a joye 510 that I bought after reading the forums here and a blu cig that I bought on my own accord. I get just as much vapor out of the blu as I do the 510. The juice tastes better out of the blu in my opinion. The batteries on the 510 only last like 10 to 15 minutes longer than the blu. Thats not that big of a difference. The 510 carts hold about two more drops of liqiud than the blu carts hold which is not a big difference. Some of you suggest that a 510 look like a real cigarette but they don't. After shipping and all the needed assecories between the two I actually have more money in the 510. If you like a 510 better than a blu then thats fine but be honest about the comparison.

Cyatis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Stratford, Wisconsin
I appreciate the OP review for what it is, and it is good that Blu is improving their product over time.

However, without any questions being asked, I feel like the product has been put into a bubble. Any pv can be the best in the world if it is compared to nothing else.

The following are all the kind of questions that I would expect someone looking to get into vaping to ask.

Does this pv really have a niche it can fill? Is it better than other 510's and why? How does it compare to an 808? If I go outside of this size and style of pv, can I reasonably get into vaping for less? How does it hold up in performance to other personal vaporizers in other form factors?

The poster above compares a 510 to a Blu. That is good stuff if your comparing models within a form factor, and makes perfect sense.

I compared a Joye 510 kit to a Blu starter kit price wise, and the difference with the exact same set up was 3 bucks. To me thats not enough for most people to care about when making a 65 dollar purchase. They should reasonably pick the one that has the best quality in that case, or preferably compare it to all other reasonable choices they have. However, you can get a pv in another form factor that will do the job for much less, an example of that is the Riva 510. Though I agree that some people will base the pv they buy based on looks, as it is a priority for them, there are others that just want a good pv in general at a good price.

I wish the OP and others in this post a good vape.

Last edited:

Fumador

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2008
I have never bought one, but maybe a year or two ago I was curious and I posted a thread asking about the Blu. Just for asking I was literally banned from this forum. I haven't post much but I was here when Tropical Bob was one of the main guys( anybody remember?), anyway I'm not an expert but I've been vaping from early 2008, and I still like small ecigs. One of these days I'll order a Blu and give it a try.

Im blu

May 27, 2011
Tucson, AZ
^Fuma, you probably wont regret it. I can't guarantee it, but that's from my own "green-footed" perspective. Even if you don't, you got a month to mail it back for a refund. A full YEAR if something goes wrong with it to get a replacement if you do. :D

Cyatis, WV, I'll admit this is a really big problem with my review. Having neither the money nor the want to try other brands, let alone analogues, this really is about as useful as a snooze button on a smoke alarm. However, I'm holding out hoping that someone with more experience than I who have tried Blu with their quality improvements can chime in. I mean, I've tried Green Nicotine at a mall, but I know it's not saying much, trying out that junk (lol)... Every time I'm at the mall now I slip a Blu business card somewhere on the kiosk when he isn't looking. :p

Of course, I forgot to mention I -do- let my analogue smoking friends take puffs time to time, and they love it also. Course, the "weird" flavors (namely cherry) does throw them off a bit. I've actually converted one over to Blu, and they haven't complained about it since. I see them using it regularly whenever we hang out.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I agree, the cartos were a huge improvement for them..on the flip side..again, once you try a manual, it's over..then add battery time of eGo, it's WAY over..
I'd absolutely love to to have a good automatic device.

... and a blu cig that I bought on my own accord. I get just as much vapor out of the blu as I do the 510. The juice tastes better out of the blu in my opinion. The batteries on the 510 only last like 10 to 15 minutes longer than the blu. Thats not that big of a difference. ...After shipping and all the needed assecories between the two I actually have more money in the 510. If you like a 510 better than a blu then thats fine but be honest about the comparison.
The big question, will they replace worn out batteries under their one year warranty?

Im blu

May 27, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Just a quick question on the side, because such a small question doesn't need a new thread (IMO). What do you all do when you're vaping in public, say a book store, and an employee asks you to put your PV away?

In Tucson, PV's are not legally restricted yet, so I just hand them a blu business card, explain what these are and that I'm legally allowed to smoke these indoors. If they ask again, I start to get annoyed and ask to see a manager. USUALLY the manager knows enough to leave me well enough alone, but if not, and especially if they're being a@#holes about it, I just blow some vapor in their faces, walk out the door, and never go back to that establishment again.

I'm a courteous vaper, and even though I know there's nothing (as far as we know) that's harmful found in secondhand (or firsthand, for that matter) vapor, not everyone does so I still don't use them around children or people who might be annoyed by normal cigarette smoke (e.g. oxygen tank users). If the staff at wherever I am cannot respect that I have enough common sense to vape responsibly, I can't respect they'll use my business dollars responsibly. What about you all?

Im blu

May 27, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I started with the Blu and moved to manual 510s and an eGo type PV. The main problem I had with the Blu is it going off in my pocket killing the batteries. I work in a noisy environment and Blus do not like constant noise.
I wish I could find a decent auto that did not do this.

A good-working auto would be nice, or a less conspicuous button for a manual. Is a pimple really necessary for a good battery? I know I'm being very picky here, but I really am a form-over-function kind of guy, lol.

meems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2010
Ohio
I started with the Blu and moved to manual 510s and an eGo type PV. The main problem I had with the Blu is it going off in my pocket killing the batteries. I work in a noisy environment and Blus do not like constant noise.
I wish I could find a decent auto that did not do this.

I had several batteries get so hot in my pocket they burned me..and forget taking them in a bar with a band playing, it was constantly going off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread