Boil your coil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newmikey

Feb 26, 2018
Better to just get a rebuildable tank and build your own. Lot easier than all that and burning off the gunk and rewicking gets you fresh new taste. For cents worth of cotton and wire a month.
I don't see how that would be "better" or "easier". It might very well be "cheaper" indeed but I'm a vaping consumer as opposed to a vaping hobbyist. I'm enthusiastic about vaping as a way out of smoking but don't necessarily see it as a learning goal in life or a new way to focus my gadget spending on, sorry!

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
That is a self-serving non-argument if I ever saw one. I can educate myself and form an opinion on the basis of respectable people in the vaping community such as Phil Busardo, Victor Mullen and many others. I have not heard any of them say drop-in coils are bad or undesirable or complicated even though they have used every device known to mankind. Some of them even lend their name to tanks with drop-in coils (Zenith ring a bell?).

Your post and my reply was not about the use of drop in coils, they are about the CLEANING of drop in coils.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I'd gotten both my NautilusX as well as the Zenith tank about 10-11 days ago and taste, throathit and vapor production had suffered somewhat. The Zenith had caused my Exclucig Three Musketeers (70% VG, 3 types of apples) to almost lose its sweet taste and the 50/50 T-Juice Custard in the NautilusX had a nasty burnt taste to it.

Little pan of boiling water and both coils in, sitting on a fork so they wouldn't touch the bottom of the pan. Gave them about 10 minutes, let them drip and cool, than blew them dry. Cotton in the wick holes looks fairly white again on both, can't see any junk in the Zenith coil opening.

I wouldn't say they are back "as new" but I suppose they now have a good 5 days extra left in them. I know to you oldtimers this may be "old news" but I'm kind of chuffed to be honest...
    I'll have to try cleaning again someday. I used to use a syringe that adapted to the atty and sucked microwaved water in and out. Never considered it to be too cost effective boiling on the electric stove. The syringe was good for blowing excess water out too.
    Welcome to the board. I too am not a hobbyist.

score69

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 28, 2015
    Athens, GA, USA
    Ya know, I only use unflavored and I toss coils because of burnt taste. Wondering if cleaning would even help me.
    I also use unflavored, and when a coil is gone, it's gone as far as I'm concerned.

I typically get a solid 3-5 weeks out of a sub-ohm Kanger or SMOK coil (about 100-120ml/week). At that point, they are trash as far as I'm concerned. Cotton isn't even that dirty when I've disassembled them. However, cotton will lose some of it's wicking properties over time. After prolonged use with unflavored juice, the coil heads start to leak in my experience becuase the cotton is just BAD at that point. Time to toss 'em and move on.

At the risk of being 'off topic', I use both premade coils and rebuildables. I do find rebuildables much easier/quicker than trying to clean premade coil heads. You're becoming somewhat of a hobbyist in my opinion when you try to start cleaning coils and the like. And is IS quicker to just pulse the coil in a rebuildable and rewick than attempt to clean a head. Also for flavor chasers and vape quality, I've yet to find a premade coil that will stand up to almost any rebuildable. So it's not just about being a hobbyist. That's all the other folks were saying.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    I don't see how that would be "better" or "easier". It might very well be "cheaper" indeed but I'm a vaping consumer as opposed to a vaping hobbyist. I'm enthusiastic about vaping as a way out of smoking but don't necessarily see it as a learning goal in life or a new way to focus my gadget spending on, sorry!

I think his point was by the time you fill a pan with water, get it to boil, wait 10 minutes, wait another 5 or 10 to cool, and finally wait for the cotton to dry out...one could build a coil and have been vaping.

As for a life goal, you've put more effort into trying to clean a coil (figuring out a method) than many do building or just buying a $2 coil. You were just being offered a piece of advice about simplicity of rewicking, if you were to build.

Now for better or easier, that's personal preference we each have to judge. I can say it is easier and better for me to use a dripper with coils I built because they last longer and I feel I get better flavor. My coils can last up to 3 months and wicks can last up to 2 to 3 weeks before changing.

That's my choice though and not for everyone. You're not into building, nothing wrong with that at all. However, just because someone says something contrary to your view doesn't make them wrong or off topic, as it still pertains to coil changing. A simple response of you don't want to build would have sufficed, there was no call to attack someone.

I personally would say boiling could be a bad idea. Boiling could cause bacteria to grow in a coil, if it isn't properly boiled and dried or stored improperly. I also have had times when I tried it, that it brought off flavors afterwards and was just much more simple to buy a new coil and be done with it.

That's my personal view though, doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong. Just means we see things differently.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    Well depending on what you are using to blow them dry can push bacteria into the damp cotton. True doing it correctly can minimize risks, but you did not say how to correctly do it in the first post. Someone could follow your advice boil quickly and throw them in a box to dry. Then boiling under a certain length of time won't kill all bacteria, well boiling won't anyways. Kinda seems risky to me personally on a cheap coil.

For topic that is when you start a new thread, not completely when responding. Now you described in your post what you are doing and were offered a rebuttal to what in their opinion is easier. The topic is still about replacing or reusing coils, so very similar.

Now as for your coil comment, you did not understand what I wrote. I said buy a new coil instead of reusing (boiling). Your tank takes coils you buy or I guess I should say coil head if you want to be particular. Those are what you are boiling, but can just as easily buy. So can you see how silly your comment and condescending attitude are? Buying and screwing in a new coil in a NautilusX is much simpler than boiling and drying a used one, plus safer.

I never said stock coils are silly, so you are wrong. Know many who love them, some of my family included. I just simply stated that I prefer rebuilding if going to the point of boiling used coils. I did say it's silly to boil a $2 coil head, when it's much safer to buy new ones. My life and lungs are worth more than a $2 part, that may or may not pick up something nasty during a boiling and dry process.

EDIT: If this seems out of place it is due to Newmikey changing what he said about my post to a period (.) and was a response to him.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco

Well you stated that the the boiled coils wasn't as good as a new one, so a newly made coil or a rewicked one would be better than a not as good as new one.

It is easier because it takes less time to make a coil than the time it would take to get water heated to the boiling point.

I can recoil and wick a RTA or burn off and rewick one in less than 5 minutes.

If you prefer boiling your coils, fine but no need to get hostile. You posted a comment, so expect others to post what may be differing opinions to yours.

I am not a hobbyist either and as for comparing to ease of smoking, I don't remember having to boil filters, etc to smoke. Just took one out of pack and lit it.

Mrdaputer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 28, 2014
    MN
    I know the OP left but there is some truth to what he says. I have taken several coils thrown them in boiling water for about 15 min while I did other stuff. Is it better than making your own nope. For some of us it is a lot easier. Not every one has the knack to make their own coils.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    I know the OP left but there is some truth to what he says. I have taken several coils thrown them in boiling water for about 15 min while I did other stuff. Is it better than making your own nope. For some of us it is a lot easier. Not every one has the knack to make their own coils.

Perfectly logical and sensible statement and agree with you 100%. It wasn't that he made a bad post or statement, it's the anger he seems to have had at others offering another option. I just take issue to people wanting to be disrespectful to others for no reason. No one was disrespectful to him but he was with everyone that stated something that didn't fit with his mindset.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread