Boil your coil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollersk4te

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2016
Orlando, FL
socialonlinebydesign.com
Honestly, I thought this was a joke post at first, so I'm glad to see it's serious discussion. And some heads are expensive enough to justify boiling them to get extra use out of them (looks towards my giant BBB heads that cost $5 a pop but end up being worth it).

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Honestly, I thought this was a joke post at first, so I'm glad to see it's serious discussion. And some heads are expensive enough to justify boiling them to get extra use out of them (looks towards my giant BBB heads that cost $5 a pop but end up being worth it).
    Many folks here still do some cleaning, just don't hear about it that much anymore. I did when I first started because we had mostly only disposable atties upwards of $10. Lucky if they lasted 5 days. Then they started jacking the prices up when cartos got popular.
    Many of us back then were hurting with the market collapse also.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I cleaned for a while, but now that I have RTAs in rotation I don't. Still use drop in coils, but I love my RTAs.

To the OP: If you post a question, you will get answers, but not always the answers you expect. No need to go deaf-mute on the subject, you were getting well meaning advice, which can always be ignored. Etc.

Anna

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2017
    Nevada
    Honestly? I'm done with the subject altogether. My sincere apologies for posting anything to begin with, won't make that mistake again.

I read through this twice and the only person who was being a bit obnoxious was the OP. You can't please some people.

Onward! Tally-ho! Arrrrrrr! (Is it talk like a pirate day yet?)

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 4, 2015
    Ocala, Fl
    Boiling drop in coils is a worthless idea.

I have attempted to clean both the original Kangertech and Eleaf GS coils using multiple soaks in very hot tap water. Not boiling but close and 2-3 LONG soaks. The shroud wrapping on the GS coils will actually clean up to where it LOOKS almost like a fresh made. But that's just on the outside.

Now, point taken that I DO vape mostly fruit and desert type vapes that do have sweeteners in them I'm sure. I've NEVER had a before boiling, toasted coil come back to life. The inside wicking/coil is Always Roasted into a black lump of basically ash. It is not possible to transform that mess into any usable coil, at least for ME it wasn't. The operation of the coil has the inside getting nearly 2X (or more) hotter than boiling water. You will NEVER get what is left of any roasted microcoil Clean by boiling it. Again, this is also just with the mostly wimpy wire that is found in MOST drop in already made coils.

I could make a fresh Eleaf GS shrouded coil in probably 3-4 minutes if you timed me. I may buy 5-10 coils A YEAR but that is mainly to cycle out worn out grommets. I am still on a PIF supply of Rayon a member gifted me with almost 2 years ago and an original $1 box of Curad gauze squares from Dollar General for my shroud wraps. I probably use 1, $4 roll of Kanthal from Lightning Vapes A YEAR. So, my actual coil cost Per Year are around $10-12.

I had a Kayfun clone, I was Ok. I don't think making the coils and installing them in the KF was That much easier than making the GS coils and IMO, the flavor of Both is comparable.
    I traded my KF clone for some used GS Air tanks. Both traders left happy.

Screw trying to rehab MOST store bought coils, for all but a very few of them (ie Ego One CLR coils), it just isn't worth the effort.
    Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Blargh23

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Arizona, US
    Can't see it working any better for most disposable heads than it did for cartomizers -- they're basically the same thing.

1. The wire coil has a lifespan.
    2. No amount of cleaning will revive burnt filler.

Burnt and gooey is burnt and gooey.

Side note: Going aggro and LAHLAH NOT LISTENING isn't a good way to approach a forum.

Reactions: stols001

Mrdaputer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 28, 2014
    MN
    Perfectly logical and sensible statement and agree with you 100%. It wasn't that he made a bad post or statement, it's the anger he seems to have had at others offering another option. I just take issue to people wanting to be disrespectful to others for no reason. No one was disrespectful to him but he was with everyone that stated something that didn't fit with his mindset.

I agree when you come to a open forum you get open ideas that might not be to your liking but you can learn from those too. Just like some people roach their coils and say you can't bring them back really who knew lol. I have a ultrasonic cleaner that I bought for another hobby. I use hot distilled water and it will bring back a coil that lost some of its flavor and clouds. I use them more of a back up then my go too coils. Like If I try a really off flavor that you just can't get the taste out. Then again it might work for me because I am not a high wattage vapor.

rollersk4te

ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    socialonlinebydesign.com
    Many folks here still do some cleaning, just don't hear about it that much anymore. I did when I first started because we had mostly only disposable atties upwards of $10. Lucky if they lasted 5 days. Then they started jacking the prices up when cartos got popular.
    Many of us back then were hurting with the market collapse also.
    I remember those days oh so well... could spend anywhere from $7-$10 on a really good one. Ugh. Don't miss it!

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread