Bonza 1.5 help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swivelonit

Jul 31, 2018
So I recently bought the Bonza 1.5 black wrinkle copper rda. Ever since having this it’s been over heating and I’m not sure why! Any help on coils would be appreciated....

I’m currently using 2 3mm 30ga Vandy Vape Alien coils, it’s coming through as .18 ohms and 2.94v and I’m using between 40/50 watts, I feel like if I go any lower I’m not getting the hit I like..... I’m using Cotn threads to wick the flavour im getting is great but the burnt lips are not so great!

I used to use the Wotofo Recurve single coil rda and never had any issues..... Please help guys! Any help is appreciated!

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Swivelonit

Jul 31, 2018
The 30G is the wrap, what is the core wire/s?
Sorry Im not quite sure what everything means lol so hopefully these pics will help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 144

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Hi.
From what I can see on the picture the core wires are 26g so they're fairly thick and with 3 they will retain quite a lot of heat...this could be your issue.

Also check your coil placement if they are too high it also might cause issues. Generally install coils as close to the deck posts as possible. Good luck to you :)

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Your coils contain a LOT of metal and will take a lot of power to bring up to heat. Once it gets to heat that heat has to leave the coil, a lot of this will end up in the barrel and the deck of your RDA. The 40 to 50 watts you are using is probably compounding the situation. I would hit a pair of coils with that much mass with more like 80 to 100+ watts. Under powering them will mean they spend much longer coming up to heat, may not actually reach a hot enough level, and therefore will spend much longer being hot in total leading to even more heat being transferred into the RDA.

Have you tried using regular round wire coils, or is there a specific reason why you are using exotics?
If you want to use these coils ~ significantly up the power level, open the airflow right up and take much harder pulls.

Swivelonit

Jul 31, 2018
I got these coils as I was just experimenting to be honest, I have the Vandy Vape pulse 80w squonk mod. I have been using the recurve rda but decided after 7 months it was time for a change up, so I bought the bonza 1.5 because of its good reviews. I lift the coils up high, and do get them as close to the posts as possible.

I’m not looking to chase clouds I’m more for the flavour Ive changed the coils to some coilology braided, currently coming through as .15 ohms, I’ve spaced them out and I’m not getting much heat from them now, the flavour is good but I feel it still has potential to be better. What coils would you guys suggest for flavour on this mod?

Also I don’t know much about coils so when I’m looking I don’t really know what’s what, I’ve tried doing my research but too many people saying different things. What’s all the numbers mean?

Swivelonit

Jul 31, 2018
Have you watched any build videos on the Bonza on YT? Anytime I get a new RBA I make sure to watch as many build/review videos as possible. Most will say the best coil position and offer up which coils work best as well.

Good luck.
Hey yeah I’ve watched quite a few tutorials and reviews, but none of them offer up any decent tips on coils, most of the reviews are made for the mech mod as you can buy the full kit, but not much in the form of squonks unfortunately

• Optimistic

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
I too,have the Bonza 1.5 rda(I use it on a mech)
I never use fancy coils.Build my own.If you deside to build your own coils,buy a spool of ss316L round wire,26 AWG,buy a coil jig and make 2 coils 8.5 wraps each at 3mm inner diameter.
Total ohm =0.3 Heat flux 300 mw/mm² at 79w (warm but not too hot vapor)

Cheers

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Your coils are too large. 3 26ga cores wrapped in 30ga is overkill and the overall performance just sucks.
30ga wraps are way too thick. They add nothing to the vapor production, heat up slow and retain that heat for too long.

Change to something like Dual Core Fused Clapton 26*2/38 or Tri-Core Fused Clapton 28*3/38 and you should be fine. The thinner the wrap, the better the performance.

Twins Win

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2018
I too,have the Bonza 1.5 rda(I use it on a mech)
I never use fancy coils.Build my own.If you deside to build your own coils,buy a spool of ss316L round wire,26 AWG,buy a coil jig and make 2 coils 8.5 wraps each at 3mm inner diameter.
Total ohm =0.3 Heat flux 300 mw/mm² at 79w (warm but not too hot vapor)

Cheers
I was going to suggest 26ga SS316L too for flavor. I don't have that RDA so you will have to play with coil position and airflow. But stainless round wire will give you a flavorful vape. I usually do 6-7 wraps on a 3MM jig. Before mounting, I space them. There's videos on spacing. I just pull the coils apart holding each end wire with my fingernails (While it's on a screwdriver). I dont pull too far just a bit. Then I push it back together and it's perfectly spaced.

With stainless you dont want to glow the coils red hot. Just pulse them a bit at low wattage to get any residues off. Stainless will give you nice clean flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread