Bottom Cap Getting Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterjuice

Sep 14, 2013
California
I have a chi-you clone from fasttech and my bottom cap is starting to get hot now
I think it is messing up my battery or something because my mod seems to be not performing as well as its used too
im thinking the power from my battery is going towards my bottom cap, therefore wasting my battery
I got silver pin contacts, helios clone, twisted 28gauge (I've used it for 3 weeks and didnt start performing less till now)

Anyone have this problem before?

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    The main reason that silver contacts aren't very popular is because it oxidizes faster than any other common metal. You need to clean your contacts, and then coat them with NOALOX. Silver has great conductivity when it's clean, but it gets dirty very fast.
    Noalox_14g.jpg

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ont.

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    The Oort Cloud
    NOALOX is basically for aluminum wire and aluminum electrical connections since it contains zinc particles which 'cut' through the aluminum oxide film. I would not recommend using it in your situation. I have been working with electric and electronic circuits and components for years and this is not what I would use for oxidized silver or brass or copper connections.

I highly recommend that you use one of the best products on the market; it's called DEOXIT Contact Cleaner and is highly reviewed and recommended by many experts in the electronics field. It's not as cheap as NOALOX but a very little goes a long way and it won't leave zinc metallic residue to stain clothes and hands.

You can get it at Guitar World stores, Radio Shack, Ebay, Amazon and directly from the manufacturer.

Here's some info on it:

DeoxIT® D-Series contact cleaner is a fast-acting deoxidizing solution that cleans, protects, lubricates and improves conductivity on all metal connectors and contacts.
    Use as a general treatment for connectors, contacts and other metal surfaces, and on non-critical metal surfaces with severe oxidation and corrosion. If the metal surface is discolored, it is severe. DeoxIT® dissolves the contamination and protects the surface.
    For reference, DeoxIT® has approximately 20% cleaning action.

KEY FEATURES:
    Improves Conductivity
    Deoxidizes, Cleans & Preserves
    Reduces Intermittent Connections
    Reduces Arcing & RFI
    Reduces Wear & Abrasion
    Temperature Range, -34 C (-29 F) to +200 C (400 F)

________________________________________________________________________________

It has a multitude of uses, not just for vaping mods and such. I've used it on computer cards/parts, switches, distributor caps, headlight and taillight connectors, flashlights, etc.

The best pricing I've seen is on Ebay for a 5oz. can for $13.95

Here's a link to the manufacturer's webpage: DeoxIT® D-Series

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    The Oort Cloud
    Thanks for the link, guess this will be what I'll be using.

Excellent choice! You won't regret it. As I stated a little goes a long way. If you get it in a aerosol, if the part(s) to be cleaned are not much surface area, what I do is wet a Q-Tip or two and then use those to apply the cleaner and they help provide a mild scrubbing action too. Just be sure no cotton fibers remain as sometimes a couple may hang around.

Plus it's a great way to convince the 'better half' that it's a justifiable purchase since it has so many different uses and applications.

Ray Lopez

ECF Veteran
    I've been having similar issues with my chi-you clone from FT recently. I also noticed that when I use magnets for the button it arches from the bottom cap to the button causing it to get very very hot!!! Also noticed a drop in production as well. I'm gonna have to give this Deoxit stuff a try.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread