Status
Not open for further replies.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Now that I'm all fired up, I thought of some advantages of a bottom feeder with a good rba over genny:

1. Leakproof. People claim that properly setup genesis doesn't leak, but mine has never been able to not leak in a jeans pocket while running and playing with kids.

2. A lot more compact for the comparable battery size

3. Easier to clean. Cotton wicks take less than a minute to replace without tools, and silica/nextel/SS can be dry burned *without emptying your tank*. When time comes to rinsing it in water/PGA, you don't have to remove the coil to clean.

4. Easier to refill. While some gennies can be refilled straight from the bottle, most require a syringe. And most also end up spewing juice from the wick during refilling

5. Cheapest setup is comparable in price (about $50 for VMod with cartos). Top-end setup is much cheaper (about $200 for Reo with RM2).

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Hey would anybody here be interested in putting a fc-2000 ceramic wick in their rm2, and telling me how it vapes? Heck if you don't want to buy any I'd send you a wick to experiment on.

Awesome offer bro, I have received so many generous gifts to try from other REOnauts that I haven't had a chance to try yet. If only I received them before the original NEX skinny TEL gift :)

Thanks for the generosity :). You already seem like a REOnaut and you don't even have your REO yet :)

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Ill give you my 2Cents ..........

Background: Using REOs for 2.5 years now. Used to be 100%
Now days I'm using a genny 70% of the time or more.

I don't find genesis more finicky to set up than any other device.
I can recoil a genny in less than 2 minutes start to finish and they vape great every time.

Here is the thing for me ...... Genesis vaping is the best there is for my style and preference .... By far the best ... Nothing comes close to the flavor and ripping throat hit I desire. I set them up pretty cool by genny standards (1.4 ohms) so I can take humungus lung inhales that would choke an ape. Love them .... can't get enough of them.

But ......... They leak like a sive and are totally impractical to take out with you ....... Heck they even tip over in my cup holder and flood my car.

Until some genius (Rob ??? C'mon buddy) figures out a way to seal the units up and still have them vape there will always be REOs in my life.

You cannot beat a REO for a bomb proof - fool proof - leak proof vaporizer ..... Period.

So if you really only vape gennys get yourself a REO and a RBA and start living life where you can throw your PV around or drop it in your pocket .... Or come back to find it tipped over and not a drop has spilled.

I'm lucky that I'm retired so I can vape gennys at home all day and select a REO for road trips and errands.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
I take my gennys eveywhere they don't leak a drop.I'm not careful about how it lays down although I like to lay it down so the wick stays wet, but not about leaking.I'm not sure where this leaking genny thing is coming from, nobody I know from other threads have mentioned this as an issue, though no I wouldn't put my mod in my pocket as a rule and go play with the kids ......though I've done it before.The size makes it akward also I'd be afraid of torcking the atty off the device.Though in truth that's most likely an unfounded fear.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
O.K.so now we have an old hand with a genisis.So Tim do you think the flavor from a genny is better than a BF.The Vapor production? For me it is all about flavor and vapor, I don't change flavour alot so set up is not an issue.I personally believe if you work with a set up long enough you can do it in your sleep quickly.I set up a ceramic wick and coil in maybe 5 minutes and only because I like to hot wrap my coils, that set up can easily last me a week.
Ill give you my 2Cents ..........

Background: Using REOs for 2.5 years now. Used to be 100%
Now days I'm using a genny 70% of the time or more.

I don't find genesis more finicky to set up than any other device.
I can recoil a genny in less than 2 minutes start to finish and they vape great every time.

Here is the thing for me ...... Genesis vaping is the best there is for my style and preference .... By far the best ... Nothing comes close to the flavor and ripping throat hit I desire. I set them up pretty cool by genny standards (1.4 ohms) so I can take humungus lung inhales that would choke an ape. Love them .... can't get enough of them.

But ......... They leak like a sive and are totally impractical to take out with you ....... Heck they even tip over in my cup holder and flood my car.

Until some genius (Rob ??? C'mon buddy) figures out a way to seal the units up and still have them vape there will always be REOs in my life.

You cannot beat a REO for a bomb proof - fool proof - leak proof vaporizer ..... Period.

So if you really only vape gennys get yourself a REO and a RBA and start living life where you can throw your PV around or drop it in your pocket .... Or come back to find it tipped over and not a drop has spilled.

I'm lucky that I'm retired so I can vape gennys at home all day and select a REO for road trips and errands.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I'm not sure where this leaking genny thing is coming from, nobody I know from other threads have mentioned this as an issue

Nobody mentions it because everyone knows and accepts it. Its a tank with two holes Wick and Fill ..... no way it isn't leaking if its not standing up. I've had a half a tank drain out while I was in the mall for an hour.

Granted I drill out all my fill holes to .105 so a 14g blunt will fit so I do have a better chance of leaks than some stock devices. But the AC9 has a .125 fill hole stock and thats the one that drained all over my car door once.

Simple science with one hole maybe you can avoid leaks but with a hole to leak out and a hole for air to come in that juice is coming out of the tank.

Maybe I should have been more clear when I said impractical for out and about I meant the things i like to do. Mountain Biking, Skiing, Motorcycle riding etc. I could take mine to the grocery store and make it back with no leaks. Although i would keep it in my hand or check my pocket every 30 seconds to make sure its upright.

I've thrown a REO in a backpack and set off running without a care.

Last edited:

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan

Have you tried setting up reomizer with a SS wick? Same exact vape as genesis, minus the leaking...

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
I always leave the screw in the fill hole. if I owned an atty that didn't have a threaded fill hole I'd tap the hole and put a screw in it. I know some people like to take the screw out of their fill hole and vape that way, but to me that's just asking for trouble.As a matter of fact if I do put any thought on how I lay my atty, I lay it down hill so the juice pushing toward the wick. I use a ceramic wick now and not a straw ss wick.

Last edited:

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
Hey nice pics. clean builds, so how long do you figure your wick winds up being
I would imagine it works very well. Provided, I've never tried fc-2000, and would like to try at some point in the distant future (enjoying my Nextel and cotton too much at the moment). I've tried SS mesh though, and it tasted pretty good. Same or better than in my genny (due to smaller, less gunked up wick, and ease of dryburning). I would think FC would be a similar setup with a better result.

Nextel provides similar benefits of FC, with easier setup though.

Here's some pictures of SS setups. FC should be similar. Also, this was with 30ga wire, 28 would have done better, but I didn't have any at the time.

View attachment 217503 View attachment 217504 View attachment 217505 View attachment 217506

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Hey nice pics. clean builds, so how long do you figure your wick winds up being

I have no idea, I measured them against the atomizer before cutting. The edges are folded, to create more space in the center of the wick for juice capacity. Not sure it achieved its goal, but they work pretty well

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
The original Genisis were top fed and they worked well because gravity helped wicking. I never liked the taste of my own setups so I hunted down the people who raved over the "clear taste" and "perfect setups" of their gennies. I asked on every local vape meet over here if I could have a toot on their best genisis setup.

Well, to me they were all worse than what I could get out of a simple 306 dripper or a simple wick and coil setup in a RDA - with one exception: Citrus and menthol flavors work well in gennies, because they mask (or fit) the metallic taste.

I really wanted to like the genisis principle because it sounded logical, and I continued to find new things to wick with - 500 mesh, 7x19 steel wire, even had specially made ceramic wicks - nothing works like a simple fiber wick, at least not for me. I have an Orion, NGP, AGA-T, RSST, Cobra, Genisis-LV, Talos, because I thought the device might play the biggest role - it doesn't.

The current common tank style of bottom fed genisis atties has several drawbacks and is actually a step backwards from the original design in my view:
- leaking through the wick or fill hole
- wick works both ways and the discoloring of the liquid in the tank shows degrading quality
- wicking must work against gravity
- thick wick is a heat sink
- I have to fiddle with the positioning of the air hole against the mod

What I use now is either an Orion for the menthol, REO VVGs with Chalice, an Odysseus on a GGTS with a Kick and an electronic switch or a Kayfun on a Semovar or, it must be said, a Kanger Pro Tank on an MVP. They all have their strong points, but the VVGs are the go to mods for my VG heavy, gloopy liquids.

They are dripping without actually having to drip and I like that.

Everyone has their own values and I can understand how trying to find the best genisis setup can be a nice hobby, but while I fiddle with the hotspots, the ribbon Kanthal and the ceramic, I always have a REO within reach to have something reliable and tasteful to vape on =)

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Have you tried setting up reomizer with a SS wick? Same exact vape as genesis, minus the leaking...
Too much squonking IMHO .... I take huge drags ... sometimes 7-8 seconds .... Ya I know I have big lungs and I tried mesh but it needed a squonk every drag or I would go dry.

Thats why its so great on gennys because it in the tank and by adjusting your tilt while you vape your actually feeding the wick while firing ..... I have my tilts finely tuned :D

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Everyone has their own values and I can understand how trying to find the best genisis setup can be a nice hobby, but while I fiddle with the hotspots, the ribbon Kanthal and the ceramic, I always have a REO within reach to have something reliable and tasteful to vape on =)

I agree but I'm not really into fiddling or finding a hobby. I just don't try all the new stuff.
Working from the same 3 sheets of 500 mesh I bought back in September and will be for about 10 more years :)
Working from the same 200 ft of 30g kanthal from September and will be for another couple years ... maybe.

Honestly with 3 gennys going full time I have not made a new wick yet this year ......
All I do is pull the coil burn the juice off the wick and re-wrap ..... I go through the step of looking for hotspots but I just don't get them anymore ... but I do adjust to make look pretty just for something to kill an extra 30 seconds.

I'm not sure if I like the "metallic" taste or maybe I don't get the "metallic" taste or just what the deal is.
I remember the hot spot metal taste from when i started but without that anymore I just taste my juice.

But I totally agree about having a REO (or 6) nearby to depend on. Just my gennys are nearly as dependable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread