Boxer Mod Dual 18650 Yihi 350J

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrentMydland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
SE US
Thanks guys...all seems a little strange to me. Is it usual for the entire thread to disappear instead of individual posts which need moderation?

I wonder who complained and why?

Yeah, seemed odd to me too. I'm a mod and admin for two other nonvaping related forums, its easy to just prune posts but I don't even pertend to understand how ECF and its mods work. I gave up on that a long time ago.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    The cheap (not inexpensive) MXJO's that a local B&M sold me lasted a whole whooping 33960J before the low battery.

Just replace with a pair of LG HG2's. I'll see how long these last.

It took a while since I juggle using multiple mods but using the same settings and tank the LG HG2's got to the Boxers "low battery" at just slightly below 40000J which represents a whole whooping 15% improvement over the MXJO's. However considering the 20% difference in mAH rating (2400 vs 3000mAH) a 15% unscientific real world difference instead of 20% difference in rating is not all that much.

While I had hoped that the LG HG2's might of offered an even better performance improvement I'll take what I got.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 2, 2015
    London, UK
    Well I was wrong that my mod won't turn on. It will so it made me look like a fool.

I had a big thread written here but I removed it as I need help with something - below.

Bits and bolts are the mod is powering on which I didn't realize. So I feel Like a dimwit. I guess I reversed batteries maybe when I tested after the issue I had.

I've been trying to get it in to ginger who have been absolutely amazing to deal with from before I bought it through helping me with this issue. I'm sure they'll heck it out. It's just tough to get it to them. I miss his damn mod so much.

Take your boxer away from ourself for 6-8 weeks. You'll be going mental like me !

The problem is I can't drive and therefore can't get it sent in.

I was so excited thinking it was working but alas it is not

See below.

Last edited:

h00ligan

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 2, 2015
    London, UK
    Ugh had to send my boxer in, verified the chip failed and they are awaiting response from Yihi to confirm replacement. I really hope it does get covered under warranty as I am flat broke right now.
    What were the symptoms of the chip failure. Never though mine looks fine and k thought I was an idiot - it won't fire.

Everything looks and fixations exactly as it should but nothing happens. The joule counter is working. The resistance reads properly. It's looks as if it is firing - but it's not.

I'm guessing my initial issue and this are related. Looks like j have to send t in anyway. But I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this.

I upgraded the firmware and reset the device. That didn't remedy it.I'm fairly certain there's a power converter of some kind on the board and thats what popped and sparked. And is now causing the mod not to fire. I don't know the actual name for it but effectively what takes the chip signal and outputs power. And my guess is it resides on the front of the chip by the up and down button area.

Doh! This is such a bummer.

I think I'm going to order a prepaid priority box so I can just ship this out from my house. I don't think you can just get one. With all the damn surgeries I won't be truly ambulatory for another two
    Months plus. And I can't drive a sick when my right arm isn't working. Damnit this is so frustrating no just need to send it in!

Is there a way to weigh it at my house and print postage out if in not a business. Has anyone done that?

Sorry to vent. I'm frustrated cuz I love this mod and want to get it fixed.

Last edited:

h00ligan

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 2, 2015
    London, UK
    Hey all.

Two things

First Ginger vaper was absolutely awesome about repairing my boxer. Talk about a great vendor. They really went above and beyond and it if their way to Work it Out for Me. I'm so appreciative of their top level support on not just fixing the issue but also working with me through the incredibly crappy surgeries I've had to Go through. Anyway I really can't recommend them enough for anyone looking for a boxer mod you won't be sorry. .

Second I thought there was a 350j chip update that includes a stainless profile in addition to manual Tcr. I thought the m class got it and therefore we would too but the latest 2.32 doesn't have it. I'm guessing its bets and not on I get vaper site yet?

Manual tcr is working super well
    With 430 stainless available from unkamen for $10 / 200ft

Last edited:
    Reactions: Yozhik

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 4, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Hey all.

Two things

First Ginger vaper was absolutely awesome about roaring my boxer. Talk about a great vendor. They really went above and beyond and it if their way to Work it Out for Me. I'm so appreciative of their top level support on not just fixing the issue but also working with me through the incredibly crappy surgeries I've had to Go through. Anyway I really can't recommend them enough for anyone looking for a boxer mod you won't be sorry. .

Second I thought there was a 350j chip update that includes a stainless profile in addition to manual Tcr. I thought the m class got it and therefore we would too but the latest 2.32 doesn't have it. I'm guessing its bets and not on I get vaper site yet?

Manual tcr is working super well
    With 430 stainless available from unkamen for $10 / 200ft

Sx Mini and original sx350j chip (not v2) only has choices of Ni, Ti, and TCR.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 2, 2015
    London, UK
    Sx Mini and original sx350j chip (not v2) only has choices of Ni, Ti, and TCR.
    Ah ok. I was misinformed! Thanks for clarifying. I actually have a new to me m class arriving this week and ill probably round it
    Out with the v2 chip in the new boxer at some point.

For what it's worth the stainless steel 430 for sale by unkamen at $10 for 200ft works better than any 304/326/317 I've tried. It has the added benefit of working in a non temp control situation and it works as a contact coil. The coefficient value is spot on and there are no strange effects like I got with the other types. The bonus insists super inexpensive. At least for now before everyone realizes how well it works.

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 4, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Ah ok. I was misinformed! Thanks for clarifying. I actually have a new to me m class arriving this week and ill probably round it
    Out with the v2 chip in the new boxer at some point.

For what it's worth the stainless steel 430 for sale by unkamen at $10 for 200ft works better than any 304/326/317 I've tried. It has the added benefit of working in a non temp control situation and it works as a contact coil. The coefficient value is spot on and there are no strange effects like I got with the other types. The bonus insists super inexpensive. At least for now before everyone realizes how well it works.

The only problem I've had with Stainless is that it's power hungry compared to Ni200. One really needs something like a Boxer mod to not have to change batteries several times a day.

Btw, here are the TCR values for Stainless:
    304: 0.001050
    316: 0.000915
    317: 0.000875
    410: 0.001550
    430: 0.001380

h00ligan

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 2, 2015
    London, UK
    I haven't noticed stainless being harder on the battery at all and I've used a lot of It in various devices and nickel Is my go To Outside of It . I'm not sure why it would be using
    More at least not enough to incite significant battery shortage. I've been using it a lot in the evic mini lately too wih no battery deficiency . Ive been using stainless a fair bit in the taifun and gem tanks. Nickel More in the magma dripper. And other clones.

Here are values for other wire types too. I have a bunch of nife48 en route. Fifty feet I think. Stainless is a lot cheaper. Nife is going to have to be a lot better to pay 8 times as much for it

Here's what I have
    Wire tcr values

Stainless steel types:
    317: 0.000875
    316: 0.000915
    304: 0.00105
    430: 0.00138
    410: 0.00155 - this value hasn't been verified yet

NiFe alloys:
    Pernifer36(Invar): 0.00117
    Resistherm(Dicodes): 0.0032
    Nifethal52(NiFe48 at Zivipf): 0.00405
    Nifethal70(NiFe30 at Zivipf): 0.00506

Ni200: 0.0052 (20°C-200°C)

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 4, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't noticed stainless being harder on the battery at all and I've used a lot of It in various devices and nickel Is my go To Outside of It . I'm not sure why it would be using
    More at least not enough to incite significant battery shortage. I've been using it a lot in the evic mini lately too wih no battery deficiency . Ive been using stainless a fair bit in the taifun and gem tanks. Nickel More in the magma dripper. And other clones.

It could just be the tank I'm using, which is the Herakles+ and its 316 pre-built coils. They advertise the coils as tri-parallel, which I'd assume means three wires in parallel to form a 0.2 ohm coil. That's a significant mass of metal to heat up, as compared to my 0.2 ohm dual-wire parallel nickel coils in the Smok TCT. The difference between 2 and 3 wires in parallel might explain the difference in steady state power consumption, but in terms of preheat I found that the stainless coils required a much higher preheat setting than nickel that the difference in the number of wires alone probably doesn't explain.

I haven't done any coil builds with stainless yet. I figured I'd give the Herakles+ a try and see if stainless was better from that angle. My feeling is that the 316L coils were sometimes better, sometimes worse, overall kinda of inconsistent. In the end, I think I'm preferring the Smok TCT over the Herakles+, so far as pre-built coil tanks go.

Red73

Feb 8, 2016
    I have to say of all the mods I've owned in my time of vaping, the 150w boxer has to be by far my favourite. Owned the V1 and just bought the V2.

Attachments

• _20160211_202944.JPG
      _20160211_202944.JPG
      463.7 KB · Views: 39
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread