Status
Not open for further replies.

bizzyb0t

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Denver CO, USA
twitter.com
Okay, so I got my e-cig from VaporGuys.com :D

I'm very happy with it and I love the look (except for one thing), weight, and feel of my new JOYE306A (Super-Mini)!!

Anyway, I always read about "new atomizer primer", or "the primer they put on new atomizers... but what is this stuff?

So, I took out my camera and took a few pictures of my brand new unused atomizer. I got two atomizers with my starter kit (!!) and both of them have the exact same stuff. Kurt from VG also confirmed that it was on a new Super-Mini he had at their location. He wasn't sure what it was either.

I describe it as feeling like silica gel. It soft and pliable. I had to move some aside with a toothpick(on my other one), to get it to vape.

Here's some macro shots... I tried to crop these as much as I could... bet viewed in fullsize, since they're cropped.

3366687938_cd82cacca2_o.jpg

3365864737_b90b20a72c_o.jpg

3366687598_67e7ef8883_o.jpg

3365864473_bdb501e0ed_o.jpg

3365864203_67a0126797_o.jpg

3366687694_a67ce0c511_o.jpg

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
Looks like cosmoline to me. Yuck! I don't like the idea of inhaling that. Cosmoline is the crap the the army used as a rust preventative when shipping/storing firearms, jeeps, anything really. What sucks is that while you can clean that out from a Super Mini atomizer any other model with a closed atomizer you are forced to just burn off.

bizzyb0t

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Denver CO, USA
twitter.com
It's got the consistency of vermicelli... or rice noodles, the kind they serve at Vietnamese restaurants.

It's not like vasoline or cosmoline at all...

It doesn't "thin" out when it get's hot either. Also, upon further inspection... there are tiny fibers embedded into it.

Also, appears this substance holds liquid as I was able to touch it to the side of a tweezers and it left e-juice on it.

Very curious indeed. No one has noticed this before or is this something new?

Thanks for the compliment on the shot, btw :D

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
It is part of the wicking construction of these specific atomizers..

It is how all 306, 306a, minifogger, 510, Dura, Titan, Yeti, etc. atomizers are all built. It is a strand like material. Fairly accurately described by Bizzy.

I am unsure as to what the material is, but it has been on every JOYE manufactured atomizer I have examined to date.

bizzyb0t

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Denver CO, USA
twitter.com
It is part of the wicking construction of these specific atomizers..

It is how all 306, 306a, minifogger, 510, Dura, Titan, Yeti, etc. atomizers are all built. It is a strand like material. Fairly accurately described by Bizzy.

I am unsure as to what the material is, but it has been on every JOYE manufactured atomizer I have examined to date.

Aaah, okay! :)

I was wondering what it was! Man, you should hear this atomizer... it cooks!

Well, at least there's pictures and this thread now, for anyone else that ever wonders what that stuff is.

:thumbs:

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
Aaah, okay! :)

I was wondering what it was! Man, you should hear this atomizer... it cooks!

Well, at least there's pictures and this thread now, for anyone else that ever wonders what that stuff is.

:thumbs:

Haha. I can hear mine cook quite distinctly.. They operate well, but the material still concerns me somewhat..

Hey Cekte, after the atomizer dies, is this stuff still intact? Does it stay "flexible" and still clear looking?

Hey skull, yep, it seems to hang around. I have several of these specific atomizers for a few different units, and only one has gone bad. It was fairly early in its life, but the material was still intact, and clear/white. I have not had a chance to thoroughly vape one into submission, to see the outcome yet. Believe me, I have been trying however ;)

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
Well, I typed this out previously and it glitched posting. Here goes attempt #2...

I have been experimenting for a few days now, on these atomizers wicking properties, and have taken a few pictures.

In my experience with this unit, the atomizer seems to perform just as well with the material removed from under the atomizer bridge. I have not had any negative experience with the inner wick material to date, but am still wary of its placement and true purpose.

The material is much more fibrous upon a closer second look. It seems to possibly be some of the same material the coil is wrapped around. It is definite, that this material is designed to aide in the wicking process. However in my testing removing it did not hinder the performance at all, and seemed if anything to perhaps produce the same results, or better.

The wicking action from the cart material to the bridge, and from the bridge to the coil, seems very minimally effected by these strands.

My apologies of the quality of photographs. It is poor lighting and execution, but still conveys the point..

below, a shot of the 306 wicking bridge construction, before
PICT0012-1-1.jpg

again, a before picture, from opposite angle
PICT0011-1.jpg

a shot of the atomizer next to the removed inner wicking material
PICT0006.jpg

close up of the removed fiber from under the bridge. Note: this material does not melt, or 'burn' under direct flame.
PICT0006-1.jpg

here you can see the fiber removed, the bridge and exposed coil in the foreground. This is very similar construction to a m40x series atomizer with the excess wicking removed.
PICT0010-1.jpg

Will keep this test updated..

Last edited:

bizzyb0t

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Denver CO, USA
twitter.com
I was a little confused as the first photos seemed to show a goo-type substance and the later pics showed fibers. Going with the fibers, I think you are having in part this conversation:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...anufacturers-suppliers-whats-my-atomizer.html

I understand that the manufacturers put that stuff in for a reason... so I'm not sure I want to mess with it... However, my "wicking" is jelly-like with fibers within it. It was soft and pliable, even when it was dry.

From what I understand these atomizers from JOYE are pretty durable. Kurt from VaporGuys.com said that he's not getting many reports of premature death or failure. So this gel wicking form JOYE might be some new technology of theirs. I'd think that these manufacturers (the better ones anyway) would be trying to improve their technology and methods. Alot of people think that the Chinese are copycats but they are probably one of the most innovative cultures of modern times.

However, I'm very interested in how usage will affect this stuff over time and I'll be sure to take pictures of the atomizer, to showcase any changes. Overall, I'm not concerned about safety and think perhaps the purpose of the gel-like substance is to act as a cohesive substance for the fibers of the wick. Well, I'm not quite sure that makes sense, but it did before I typed it out. :rolleyes:

prateus

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
Muskoka, Ontario
Hey guys, 3 years to late but, I wanted to write this and point this out for new users.

The substance is indeed the same material that the coil is wrapped around, it is usually a type of silica or fibre glass wick. The gel substance is a primer material that is usually vg, pg, some beleive there may be other compunds but it is most likely just pure vg/pg. The reason you felt it was fibrous gel is because the fibres are covered in the vg which when undiluted is very think and gel like. I hope that I cleared this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread