Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Opinionated that's interesting because I can definitely tell the difference...having said that though it is only slight. I normally sub-ohm vape at 45-60 watts at 18mg but my 36mg salts are only used in pods which are usually around 7-10 watts.

I tested the salts first thing in the morning as a first vape and I can definitely get a satisfied feeling after only 3-4 draws. Conversely with the freebase at 18mg 60 watt I don't really get any feeling at all except that i'm not 'climbing the walls' so I must be satisfied too. I use salts made with benzoic acid that I make myself and i'm sure I can tell that they are absorbed faster.

I suppose I ought to 'very carefully' try the salts in my sub-ohm setup and see how that feels.
:)

Well, as I did a straight switch, i.e. I used the same amount of nicotine in the exact same device, it does make it different from your experience since you changed devices to use the salts, and use it at a different nicotine level.

I used NN's smooth salts, but I dont know what their process is to make it though..

but for me, it was 1:1... It's smoother, not as harsh for your throat, but that was the only difference I found.

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Really good question. In my case I doubt I would see a decrease. I really like the activity and the taste. I think at this juncture my primary addiction is the activity not the nicotine. If I get focused on other tasks I feel no need to vape. During more idle times I love to puff away.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Can one get out of the habit of chain vaping by using nic salts/high mg? I currently use 3mg freebase and find myself puffing away at any available opportunity. I go through about 15-20 ml+ a day, which I guess isn’t too crazy...
I saw it suggested in another thread that nic salts could possibly reduce this tendency. Has that been the case for anyone? I’m concerned that if I were to go this route, I would just start chain vaping 25mg (or higher).
I am in a similar situation as far as the nic level and the consumption and I am OK where I am at. I smoked 2+ packs per day - always had a cig in hand. Stopped smoking 7 years ago when I first started vaping. I have the exact same concern as you.

The general consensus is that upping nicotine will reduce the frequency that you vape because the nicotine satisfies you. That is not true for me. It may be true for many but not all and I am one of them. When I first started it was on different equipment - the VUSE for example at almost 50 nic and I was going through at least 4 of those filter things per day. Was actually a little nauseated at times but it did not stop me!

I moved to egos with small tanks and was using very high levels (48mg) and vaped constantly and was not satisfied (and sometimes a little nauseated)

When I finally got a real mod and started to subohm I was down to 12 nic and it was highly recommended to go down quickly from that and I did. I went down to 9 for a good while, then 6 and am now at 3.

There has been no substantial change in all this time how frequently I pick up the vape. It's like a strong hand to mouth habit for me I guess.

No matter what nic level I am I have a tendency (habit) to pick up the vape frequently.

The good news, for me at least, is that I no longer feel as addicted. I used to be an absolutely witchy crazy person if I ran out of cigs. Open my eyes - smoked. Did anything - smoked. I have finally come to a point in my vape journey that while I still vape frequently - it is more out of habit than dependency. Sure my body is used to the nic, however, I can go without my vape for periods of time without getting crazy -- to the store, out to dinner, even a non-smoking place that I would never have gone to in the past, and even overnight keeping a friend company in a hospital.

My thinking is that I can try to go down very slowly from where I am at but it is not a priority for me.

Based on who I am, I do not think nic salts or upping the nic level will help me to reduce my vape frequency and I am OK with that.

If you do find something that works for you please update.

Last edited:

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Skunk...that's interesting. I can't seem to over do my salts. They're at 36mg/ml and in a Vladdin and a Rota pod the both being very tootle puffish. Sometimes I have a session of constantly pulling on my pod but never with any bad effects.

Now my DL freebase at 18mg is different...if I chain vape that on an RDA it will make me feel pretty sick so that I don't want to go near a vape until it improves. Once it happens usually takes an hour to right itself.
It could just be me. But I am fine if I just take 2-4 hits.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Opinionated that's interesting because I can definitely tell the difference...having said tha t though it is only slight. I normally sub-ohm vape at 45-60 watts at 18mg but my 36mg salts are only used in pods which are usually around 7-10 watts.

I tested the salts first thing in the morning as a first vape and I can definitely get a satisfied feeling after only 3-4 draws. Conversely with the freebase at 18mg 60 watt I don't really get any feeling at all except that i'm not 'climbing the walls' so I must be satisfied too. I use salts made with benzoic acid that I make myself and i'm sure I can tell that they are absorbed faster.

I suppose I ought to 'very carefully' try the salts in my sub-ohm setup and see how that feels.
:)
Ok that may be the difference. I normally use 6mg at 35W. I used to subohm 12 mg. I don't think I could handle that anymore. I have low tolerance now. I do get more satisfied from high noc salts, so I use them when I am stressed or the regular stuff isn't quite cutting it. I ues my salt mod at 16.5W which may be a little high, but I like it.
20190325_060452.jpg

Last edited:

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
It depends on why your chain vaping.

When you first make the switch you chain vape as a reaction to withdrawals... it's a mental comfort while your body is screaming for the millions of chemicals it's suddenly stopped getting.

I chain vaped my rear end off when I first made the switch, but that tapered off in time quite naturally for me..

Some people claim they never stop chain vaping, so for this group increasing the level of nicotine might be a help, but if chain vaping is just a mental comfort then that won't help and you'll just end up nic sick..

If you are chain vaping as a mental comfort and are concerned with consumption, or would like to decrease consumption, then a low wattage low consumption device with higher levels of nicotine is for you.

On some low powered devices you can chain vape all day and not consume 2ml of eliquid..

So in this way you can have the best of both worlds, spend less on ejuice while still chain vaping, and yes for that you need high nicotine salts because your not consuming enough nicotine otherwise.
Those are great comments. I like the term "mental comfort". Although I am not a huge cloud chaser - I do like some and it seems that I cannot get enough vapor on lower powered devices. I think that was one of the reasons I smoked so much ---constantly sucking away and not getting the result I wanted. My vape style now is loose mtl or restricted dl

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I switch between regulated mods, and unregulated with .5+ coils. I've found, over the last few years, that, my mood cycles, as does my focus. I go through periods where I become extremely fatigued, unable to plan ahead beyond a few chores. I'm proud of myself for noticing this cycle, and, I've developed a routine to combat it. Typically, when I enter a particularly unenergetic period, I notice I'm chain vaping like a madman. In order to return myself to a happy, focused animal, one of the things I do, is I switch to only using UNregulated mods. It pisses my brain off, but, it's necessary.. because I know that once I've dropped my nic for a few days, when I pick up the regulated mods again, I'll be smitten... Where-as, the period of fatigue/depression lasts much longer, if I just continue to chainvape. It's a sort of, playing with my tolerance/dependence level. I figure my dopamine receptors get bored :p

A lot of things beyond tapering your nicotine down for a bit, help with fatigue. But I'd be willing to suggest to all of you, that, if you notice you've indeed been depressed/tired for a few days, and you notice you've been chain-vaping... A drop in nicotine for a few days, paired with change in diet, can do wonders.

It's an ebb & flow, life. I play with it.

Last edited:

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
This wasn’t as much of an issue until fairly recently. I had worked down to 1mg (quit cigs on 18mg) over the course of about two years. Over the winter, I ran out of liquid and made an emergency purschase at a gas station of a device that will go unnamed. My liquid was delayed, in the meantime I was trying to puff that device like a Kayfun, and going through 2-3 pods a day. When my 1mg arrived I found it really wasn’t doing it, so I went up to 3mg... and developed a case of shinyitis. I added a mesh rda and a squonker to the rotation and found the flavor enchanting. I’m not sure if I never noticed the chain vaping before, or if it literally was inflamed by the brief use of high nic. I just find that it’s harder to stabilize my irritability, and I spend a lot of time puffing away.
Thanks for all the great replies, I’m still reading through them.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Those are great comments. I like the term "mental comfort". Although I am not a huge cloud chaser - I do like some and it seems that I cannot get enough vapor on lower powered devices. I think that was one of the reasons I smoked so much ---constantly sucking away and not getting the result I wanted. My vape style now is loose mtl or restricted dl

just to point out, I am a RL vaper, and you can build above ohm, vape at lower wattages and still get a satisfying draw - but I build my own coils to tailor the experience to my taste.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
This wasn’t as much of an issue until fairly recently. I had worked down to 1mg (quit cigs on 18mg) over the course of about two years. Over the winter, I ran out of liquid and made an emergency purschase at a gas station of a device that will go unnamed. My liquid was delayed, in the meantime I was trying to puff that device like a Kayfun, and going through 2-3 pods a day. When my 1mg arrived I found it really wasn’t doing it, so I went up to 3mg... and developed a case of shinyitis. I added a mesh rda and a squonker to the rotation and found the flavor enchanting. I’m not sure if I never noticed the chain vaping before, or if it literally was inflamed by the brief use of high nic. I just find that it’s harder to stabilize my irritability, and I spend a lot of time puffing away.
Thanks for all the great replies, I’m still reading through them.

I have quit vaping (literally quit vaping) 3 times now. (a failure for sure.. lol) but I learned a few things each time.

The second time I quit I went around 5 or 6 months without vaping, but then had a craving flung on me so I dug out the gear I stashed for failure emergency, and I found what I forgot to do was to stash 0 nicotine ejuice. All I had was 18mg. (this was before I did DIY)

Well, I made an online purchase of 0 nicotine ejuice, but it was going to be a few days before I received it, so I vaped the 18mg anyway. It was lovely, and well worth it, but I vaped the 18mg until it was gone, and then went to the zero.

Huge mistake!

I had to make an emergency purchase of nicotine ejuice and overnight it. I couldn't just have some nicotine and then stop just like that... it was an error in judgment that nearly led me to smoke again.

So if some change happened and now your nic fitting seriously, then vape the amount of nicotine you need. It will take time to go back down again. And yes, only one time can mess you up..

okay.. finished now. lol.. sorry.

Last edited:

TylerA

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Maybe its my mind playing tricks on me, but if I vape nic salts and don't get a throat hit, I vape it more.

I have some 45mg/ml nic salts and 16mg/ml freebase (both used in a Zenith tank 0.8ohm at 17w), and I feel more satisfied using the freebase that gives me that throat hit. Used to smoke 1-1.5 packs a day of really strong cigs.

I usually go through about 3-6ml of freebase a day. I vape MTL.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I switch between regulated mods, and unregulated with .5+ coils. I've found, over the last few years, that, my mood cycles, as does my focus. I go through periods where I become extremely fatigued, unable to plan ahead beyond a few chores. I'm proud of myself for noticing this cycle, and, I've developed a routine to combat it. Typically, when I enter a particularly unenergetic period, I notice I'm chain vaping like a madman. In order to return myself to a happy, focused animal, one of the things I do, is I switch to only using UNregulated mods. It pisses my brain off, but, it's necessary.. because I know that once I've dropped my nic for a few days, when I pick up the regulated mods again, I'll be smitten... Where-as, the period of fatigue/depression lasts much longer, if I just continue to chainvape. It's a sort of, playing with my tolerance/dependence level. I figure my dopamine receptors get bored :p

A lot of things beyond tapering your nicotine down for a bit, help with fatigue. But I'd be willing to suggest to all of you, that, if you notice you've indeed been depressed/tired for a few days, and you notice you've been chain-vaping... A drop in nicotine for a few days, paired with change in diet, can do wonders.

Can you explain more --I'm the curious type - what is the difference when you switch from regulated to unregulated? And, are you saying you vape less nic on an unregulated.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Maybe its my mind playing tricks on me, but if I vape nic salts and don't get a throat hit, I vape it more.

I have some 45mg/ml nic salts and 16mg/ml freebase (both used in a Zenith tank 0.8ohm at 17w), and I feel more satisfied using the freebase that gives me that throat hit.
Ditto ... I need a certain level of throat hit ... it is part of the entire physiological experience. Without throat hit, vaping is an incomplete experience for me. I can vape nic-salt till I'm feeling nic-sick and still feel unsatisfied.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
me I chain vape because I enjoy it and find vaping relaxing,

from Spinfuel:

There is something, some truth that is spoken about in e-cigarette forums dozens, maybe hundreds, of times a day that for the most part all Vapers know to be true but others, non-Vapers, do not know. It is this; Vapers vape a lot more than smokers smoke.

We all know this to be true. Hell, if I counted the number of puffs/drags I take everyday from my e-cigarette and applied that number to tobacco cigarettes I would be in the category of a “4+ packs a day” smoker.

I’m a chain Vaper, like tens of thousands of others, I vape all the time. Why not? It’s safe. Harmless even. Hell, maybe even beneficial to lung health. And cheap. There isn’t a single reason that I can see for not vaping anytime I have the urge. I call it ‘pacify vaping’

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Personally I try to balance getting as much nic as I need without vaping a ton.

If I were chain vaping non stop, upping the nic would be my first move.

I use nic at a few strengths, and when I am really jonesing, I go to the salts. I have not found I require more and more nic, in fact I use pretty close to the same amount day to day. It’s just sometimes I need more faster.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA

I’m not quite sure what you mean about switching to unregulated either, but I applaud your ability to be attentive to the way your mood and focus cycle. Being aware of what’s going on in the black box is something I’ve been working on and seems to be a bit of a long term project, memory too short I guess .

• Agree
Reactions: Plumes.91

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Ditto ... I need a certain level of throat hit ... it is part of the entire physiological experience. Without throat hit, vaping is an incomplete experience for me. I can vape nic-salt till I'm feeling nic-sick and still feel unsatisfied.
Same here. I only tried salts once 45mg and it was like sucking air. Probably could of vaped a whole bottle that day, but went back to FB

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I’m not quite sure what you mean about switching to unregulated either, but I applaud your ability to be attentive to the way your mood and focus cycle. Being aware of what’s going on in the black box is something I’ve been working on and seems to be a bit of a long term project, memory too short I guess .

Can you explain more --I'm the curious type - what is the difference when you switch from regulated to unregulated? And, are you saying you vape less nic on an unregulated.

All I'm saying, is that I notice that I go through longish periods of fatigue. Periods where I wake up feeling unrested & remain feeling unrested throughout the day. I noticed a while ago that nicotine intake seemed to correlate to these phases of mood. So, I play with them now. If I notice that it's been days, or over a week, since I've felt extremely energetic throughout the days, & my vape-breaks at work aren't giving me the lift they used to, and on the weekends, I've got my mod in my hand all day & night, and I feel nothing but restless and tired... I try to CUT my nicotine, rather than increase it. It seems counterintuitive, but, it's become apparent that if I "taper" my intake for a few days, then, when I go back to vaping heavily, that fatigue/mental-fog is lifted that much quicker.

& yes, it does seem as though switching to using an unregulated mod with a highish ohm coil, is a good solution. (this is very personal, though) when I'm not using regulated mods at 40+ watts, I kind of give up. it's like, why even vape if it's not going to satisfy my throat hit lust? meh. so I force myself through a few days without regulated vaping, then go back to a 40w+ mod, & feel much better. I should note that I usually cut my caffeine intake at the same time, then go back to both quite hard.

Sort of always saw myself as a chemistry experiment. :blink:

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
I notice that I go through longish periods of fatigue. Periods where I wake up feeling unrested & remain feeling unrested throughout the day.

Sounds like it may be time for you to consider trying some WTA...

I keep half my tanks filled with WTA-ejuice (Umbavape)...and half filled with nicotine-ejuice...and just go back and forth depending what I desire at the moment...

My Experience With Wta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread