Not open for further replies.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I saw a segment on local TV this morning about vaping. Someone troubled by the rise in vaping among kids. She said research is starting to show that the nicotine in vapes is just as bad as the nicotine in cigarettes for causing medical problems, maybe worse. And other ridiculous stuff.

Then she issued some advice to parents on how to spot if your child is getting involved in vaping. It causes severe dehydration, so you need to take note if your child starts drinking large amounts of water. It also dries out your nasal membranes, so watch out for frequent nosebleeds.

It also has the same effect as caffeine so you should worry if they stop drinking energy drinks.

What would we do without experts to warn us about these things?

Reactions: Oregon Linda

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Golly. There goes every teenager's hangover remedy. I used to drink "large amounts of water," before bed and also place a glass of it plus some headache stuff by my bed for when I awoke. I'd have hated to have been accused of vaping.

Also, every doctor show that I have seen on TV shows frequent or sudden nosebleeds as like something to SEEK medical advice about, sometimes in an ER.

Also I have vaped for up to a week stretches nasal ONLY and I never got a nosebleed once.

Caffeine, alcohol and ....... manufacturers are all going to be cheered by this news.

It just goes to show, you should never let an angry parent give advice on a topic connected to their kid. The majority of the time, it's ludicrously inaccurate, and the cure is often worse than the disease. One reason why I always sent my son to the appropriate venue when he was doing something dumb, and I'm supposed to know stuff about doing dumb stuff and teens and whatnot but somehow my limbic system refused to get educated during my Master's so I remained as clueless, angry, and typical as any other parent, I didn't start "forced reeducating" of all parents everywhere.

Helicopters are useful, helicopter parents not so much. Sometimes, I think it would be cool if they had to have a Large H stamped on them so you knew to say away during PTA meetings, although I will admit my hatred of Jenny McCarthy sort of fuels this desire, to be quite honest. I wish she had a large H stamped on her forehead, and maybe somewhere lower down like just over her assets, a "W".

I'm kidding for the most part.

Anna

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I saw a segment on local TV this morning about vaping. Someone troubled by the rise in vaping among kids. She said research is starting to show that the nicotine in vapes is just as bad as the nicotine in cigarettes for causing medical problems, maybe worse. And other ridiculous stuff.

Then she issued some advice to parents on how to spot if your child is getting involved in vaping. It causes severe dehydration, so you need to take note if your child starts drinking large amounts of water. It also dries out your nasal membranes, so watch out for frequent nosebleeds.

It also has the same effect as caffeine so you should worry if they stop drinking energy drinks.

odd... the more I vape the more I want my energy drinks... o_O

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's because you're dehydrated, Bunnykiller. Make sure to drink water too and maybe you won't crave them so much.

Oh also the whole caffeine causes dehydration thing is a bit of a myth. It's a diuretic so it can especially when you first start, but once your body adjusts to the whole coffee situation it can somehow extract enough hydration to get the job done.

I am living proof of this, I drink plain old water for the most part if compelled at gunpoint. Oh I drink some sparkling or flavored water but it pales in comparison to the amount of caffeinated beverages I drink.

My favorite study recently listed like 11K benefits of coffee recently found but the last sentence was something like, "We cannot rule out the fact that coffee drinkers just really like coffee, and that is what is causing the net positive effect."

Because you CAN in fact rule that out, by using a control group, who is given coffee but who doesn't particularly care for it, although I will admit that scaring up such a control group is likely to be difficult. LOL.

Anna

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Golly. There goes every teenager's hangover remedy. I used to drink "large amounts of water," before bed and also place a glass of it plus some headache stuff by my bed for when I awoke. I'd have hated to have been accused of vaping.

MOM!!! I wasn't vaping. I just got drunk last night.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

How to tell if your kid is into vaping.
Screw drivers144257.jpg

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Reactions: Myk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I always feel goofy for keeping them but man a) they come in handy and b) so easily lost. LOL

I just cleaned my living/dining room arena, I was amazed at how much I had to organize/toss etc., but like, it's way better in here now. LOL I feel like the orange leather couch "deserves more" as it were. It wasn't too painful as I was on speakerphone with my kid, which like, is always amusing. He was very political today. Always fun.

We had family arguments and he was like, "Expect to be judged socially for your ideas, and I was like well, you must be nuts if you think I talk like this in public all the time, I'd probably be dead, or very tired. Etc.

All practice for working for PCPrincipal, which I'd better stop calling my soon to be boss, in case it sticks in my brain accidentally. LOL.

Anna

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I always feel goofy for keeping them but man a) they come in handy...

I actually do use them when I'm wicking Doggies or Erls. I find them good to control the cotton, and they help me place it exactly where I want it.

I wouldn't be lost without them, but I figure I may as well use them since they're here.

I think they multiply too, the randy little devlettes. :lol:

capthook

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
North Carolina
Your assertion that pg/vg does not cause dehydration is reasonable.
The comments on water loss due to metabolizing is also reasonable.
I'll comment that nicotine in a cigarette mixed with 1,000 other things will affect the body differently than vaping, and could result in a different level of water-loss due to .... 'xyz' ?
From personal experience, vaping 50% less nicotine than when I smoked can result in a mild headache that I attribute to dehydration if/when I don't have sufficient liquid intake, an intake that is larger than my smoking days.

EricMorr

Jul 2, 2018
Pitman, NJ
Wish I could find the article I read about vaping and dehydration...so here is what my brain remembers summary. One of the ingredients in eliquid is a diuretic (PG or VG), like caffeine in coffee. In of itself, it does not cause dehydration, but it blocks the body from absorbing water properly.
So my take.... if we are "ingesting" PG or VG into our lungs, then we are taking in the diuretic which could cause dehydration???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread