Status
Not open for further replies.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
I know everyone says drink water because vaping causes more dehydration. I'm just curious if dehydration is wrongly used, when the real symptom is simply dry/cotton mouth? I am pretty regimented in monitoring water intake, since I have faced too many kidney stones in the past.

Thanks

That's conceivable. I haven't seen any numbers on actual dehydration and it makes sense that one would confuse the two. I know certain juices make me very, very thirsty (as does anything with high nic content).

DirewolfUSMC

Victory to the Bold
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Shorewood, IL, USA
I know everyone says drink water because vaping causes more dehydration. I'm just curious if dehydration is wrongly used, when the real symptom is simply dry/cotton mouth? I am pretty regimented in monitoring water intake, since I have faced too many kidney stones in the past.

Thanks

It's no more inaccurately used any more than steeping is for aging juice...it's just the term that stuck when initially describing it.

Dehydration is probably the wrong term, whereas cotton mouth would be more accurate. I seriously doubt you would experience any symptoms of dehydration such as heat cramps, heat exhaustion, or eventual heat stroke from vaping.

DirewolfUSMC

Victory to the Bold
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Shorewood, IL, USA
Semper Fi DirewolfUSMC.. my husband is a Marine..but got out in 2005

1995 for me when I EAS'ed. Semper Fi back to the both of you!

usmc the title.jpg

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I on the other hand do have a fight with actually dehydration. It is HOT down here and I have a tendency towards it to begin with. Classic signs of it for me serious nail ridges and burning acidy sweat.

I have gotten to the point I drink water pretty much all day long and now it isn't so bad. My nails are growing back in better shape and I don't feel like I have a sunburn all the time.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
I almost made myself very ill from drinking so much water I was so thirsty. Turns out I was diluting my serum sodium level to a dangerous low. Symptoms of low sodium are also similar to symptoms for dehydration (extreme thirst, light-headed, disorientation, etc) Could have gone into a coma or worse. Dr said to add salt to my diet (what??? well, I don't get much salt normally), 1 tsp a day. Now that I add little pinch of sea salt to my water I am not as thirsty. Not saying salt is anyone's problem but mine!!!! I lowered the pg levels in the juice I use, the more vg the better and I am feeling much better. I also brush my mouth with baking soda and use biotene moutwash and mouth spray. Not nearly so thirsty and a baking soda or biotene rinse really helps the dry mouth. Lower your pg, I know some flavors need pg, but the lower the better. All the vendors I have bought from that offer low pg juices have all be very cooperative and add a little extra flavor. Not a whole "flavor shot", just enough to offset the low pg.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
My understanding that dry mouth and dry throat are first symptoms of dehydration (or maybe it's more accurate to say symptoms of pending dehydration). Another early symptom is slight headache.

Since I started vaping I'm making an effort to drink more water. Also, sour lemon drops help with the dry mouth (and also create some interesting flavors when vaping w/ lemon drop in mouth...)

Detail Man

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
Indiana USA
I have some Biotene on the counter and it does seem to soothe the oral tissues. I should use it more. I use Smartmouth when my mouth, tongue and gums get kinda filmy. I suspect some of the sweeter juices vaped for long periods contribute to this. It really seems to help that but you gotta plan when your gonna use it 'cause it dulls the taste buds quite a bit. That effect wears off after 10 to 12 hours.

u812many

Verified Member
May 19, 2013
St. Cloud, Florida
Sadly it's the opposite for me....VG dries my mouth out. In fact 100% VG will completely dry out my tongue in 2 puffs. i even went as far as trying VG with no nic or flavor added because I couldn't believe it!. 50/50 is the most I go. But back to the topic, yes I believe it's a dry/cotton mouth issue vs actual dehydration.

RawnGermy

Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
I'm in your head
I almost made myself very ill from drinking so much water I was so thirsty. Turns out I was diluting my serum sodium level to a dangerous low. Symptoms of low sodium are also similar to symptoms for dehydration (extreme thirst, light-headed, disorientation, etc) Could have gone into a coma or worse. Dr said to add salt to my diet (what??? well, I don't get much salt normally), 1 tsp a day. Now that I add little pinch of sea salt to my water I am not as thirsty. Not saying salt is anyone's problem but mine!!!! I lowered the pg levels in the juice I use, the more vg the better and I am feeling much better. I also brush my mouth with baking soda and use biotene moutwash and mouth spray. Not nearly so thirsty and a baking soda or biotene rinse really helps the dry mouth. Lower your pg, I know some flavors need pg, but the lower the better. All the vendors I have bought from that offer low pg juices have all be very cooperative and add a little extra flavor. Not a whole "flavor shot", just enough to offset the low pg.
Been looking into pickng up some biotene now ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread