Brick and Mortar Store Etiquette ... feedback desired

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarenB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
LA, CA.
So, I have been writing about a spot in the SFV in California that just opened up. It is agreed that they are super pricey for their liquids @ $ 1.00/ml ... if you are a heavy / chain vapor then that could really add up over time. They also sell hardware but, again, their prices are slightly higher then what you can buy parts online for. Even with shipping we have to take into account the gas used to get to the store (california being one of the highest in the country) ...

So my question is this; Is it rude to go into the store, try flavors (which they let you do for however long you want), not the flavors and the manufacturers then buy online? I do plan on shopping there and will buy something every time I go in there but just kind of wanted to get feedback from all of you folks on how you feel about this.

Thanks!

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
We also have brics and mortar up here and although I buy all my juice and hardware in bulk from outside the country I still manage to pickup some stuff from this vendor...his prices are the same whether you buy online or at the Mkt Stall. I'm just showing support and appreciation for the fact that he's making stuff more easily accessible. Same at the cottage- everyone buys the bulk of their groceries at the larger supermarkets but we all support our corner store and are grateful he's there for emergencies so we make all make a concerted effort to buy items from him. As for guilt they are charging that amount because they know volume won't be high and are are focused on those in need. I once drove 260 miles round trip to buy some juice @ $30 per 30 ml and was soooo grateful. Possibly once they get settled they'll realize the importance of lower prices. It's also a huge bonus to be able to talk and socialize with other vapers. Last weekend went to see my vendor for a quick in and out...3+ hrs later I arrived home :facepalm:

KarenB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
LA, CA.
AttyPops, yes I do plan on making at least one purchase of something when I am in there for sure. I just don't want to feel like I am being rude making note of flavors. They also may have some flavors that I can't find on line that I like and will buy from them directly. For sure tomorrow I am buying another bottle of Dragon's Tear from them because even IF I can find the exact same one online, I am out ;)

Socializing is also a great thing about the BM stores.

ARamos8

Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
In the short time I have been vaping I have found 2 local spots where I can purchase what I need. One is a bit farther than the other so I do understand the travel expense (toll roads $$). Both locations have the "try before you buy" approach and I like that, especially for the e juice. I also pay the $1.00 per ml here. I don't think there is anything wrong with your decision. You state you will purchase items on occasion. I place purchases locally and online based on what I currently need and never under obligation. The risk belongs to the B&M shops that offer similar in store sample practices. What we do with the guilt (if there is any) determines how much we spend. Hope it helps the effort. :2cool:

KarenB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
LA, CA.
So it seems that $ 1/ml is pretty standard for BM stores ...

I also told the BF that "hey they are letting us try whatever we want for "free" basically so yeah, I get why it's so "expensive"" ... Heck, I get 30ml of Vanilla for $ 15.00 online (including shipping) so ... I get that. But yeah, they will still get business from me for sure. I just don't want to look too bad noting things in my iPhone ;)

kuklaki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2012
Georgia
I am very close friends with several small retail shop owners. Though they are not e-cig stores, the concept is the same. If you go there, note what they have, and buy online ONLY (meaning...never actually buying anything) then it is considered rude.
However, if you do make purchases there-even small ones-then you are better than most. Of course as a brick and mortar store they would have a difficult time competing against online only vendors who have significantly lower overhead.
Another way of supporting the store which will not hurt your pocketbook is to quite simply send them business. Perhaps you will meet someone who is wanting to get into vaping. Sending them to your local store would be a great way for them to put their hands on the product, test the juices, and hopefully they will make purchases there. Everyone wins! (and make sure you tell the owners you sent business their way-they would appreciate that)

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
So it seems that $ 1/ml is pretty standard for BM stores ...

I also told the BF that "hey they are letting us try whatever we want for "free" basically so yeah, I get why it's so "expensive"" ... Heck, I get 30ml of Vanilla for $ 15.00 online (including shipping) so ... I get that. But yeah, they will still get business from me for sure. I just don't want to look too bad noting things in my iPhone ;)

You may also want to consider that they are "saving" you money by allowing you to try flavors instead of ordering juice on-line and finding that you don't like it.

I say, show them your appreciation, but don't feel you have to hand them your entire piggy bank! Lol

JMO

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Not all people like the same thing, flavors are all relative. For example, my all day vape is butterscotch, but my coworker's is black licorice. I can't stand his juice, and he can't stand mine. A vendor selling juices already knows that customers won't all like the same thing. So, if you vaped something you think is nasty, you could just shake your head and say, "No, not for me," and move on to the next one. Now, if you hit it, and then made puking sounds, stuck your finger in your mouth, and said, "Gag me with a spoon! This is nasty!" ... Then, well, yeah, that's rude.

gimmieshelter31

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Baltimore,MD
Just buy something if you like it . I see nothing wrong with taking notes on flavors. I agree ,a good turn would be to send newbies their way as a way to offset any guilt you may feel by using the shop as a testing ground. I paid $8 for a LR306 atty at a B&M store because a) I was there and b) I was appreciative of the opportunity to be able to walk in and buy something .However, MOST of my purchases are made with cost in mind and therefore are done on the internet.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
When I found a brick and mortar in my little town I was shocked. Stopped by and wound up walking out with my vmax. Complete ready to go $147. Some of their prices are a bit higher and they don't have a really big selection yet. It's a young couple. Their personality more than makes up for the lack of products. They also charge $1 per ml. It works out good for me and I really don't mind because I wound up finding two flavors that I just love to vape. The savings in finding a certain juice I like without having to go through 20 or 30 samples is more than worth it. Besides I like to support my local economy as much as I can. The little shop owners need it.

KarenB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
LA, CA.
Well I KNOW I will end up walking out with something. Last week I bought 5 bottles of juice plus 1 PG only bottle of 18mg to mix with my thicker Vanilla. He gave me a price break, which was nice. Going in this weekend I know that I will buy at least 1 bottle of 20ml Dragon's Tear since I am out and will probably either leave with a drip tip or a new atty/drip tip combo so I suppose I shouldn't feel too badly about noting manufacturers and flavors I like then buying online. I think we will make at least a trip a week into the store to build a relationship. They have 1 other store in West LA so they aren't doing too badly. Vaping has become HUGE in So Cal.

tater_salad

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2012
New york
I suggest doing a split.. GO in and try a few flavors.. whichever one you want the most.. pick up a 10ml bottle.. this way they make some profit and cover the "seat time" you took up. Then go order some other ones online.
Remember.. it's nice to be able to run to a store and grab a carto or juice if you run out before your next shipment. $1/ml for 10ml bottles is on par.. there shoudl be a little bit of a savings if you go above 10ML

Also remember: A local B&M store costs more to operate than a distrubution operation (Storefront space vs Warehouse space, no to little employees vs a staff of a few) Things like insurance etc for walk in stores also cost a bit more money.

pinkelliott

Moved On
Apr 10, 2012
Dallas, TX
  • Deleted by oldsoldier
  • Reason: unregistered supplier spam

KarenB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
LA, CA.
Exactly what I pointed out to the BF last night when he said that we shouldn't buy fluids from them and just go in and try. I stated all those things PLUS the fact that we can try stuff and are basically using their product gratis.

I suggest doing a split.. GO in and try a few flavors.. whichever one you want the most.. pick up a 10ml bottle.. this way they make some profit and cover the "seat time" you took up. Then go order some other ones online.
Remember.. it's nice to be able to run to a store and grab a carto or juice if you run out before your next shipment. $1/ml for 10ml bottles is on par.. there shoudl be a little bit of a savings if you go above 10ML

Also remember: A local B&M store costs more to operate than a distrubution operation (Storefront space vs Warehouse space, no to little employees vs a staff of a few) Things like insurance etc for walk in stores also cost a bit more money.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
Nothing says you "have" to buy the expensive juice from there...
You can test the juice and find things you like, then buy online in bulk.

The BM shops also usually carry other things like batteries, atomizers, empty bottles, lanyards, and a list of other stuff.
Go in, test a liquid and take notes. Maybe pick up some drip tips, and spare carts or something.

Also ask for business cards so you can pass them out to friends. This is excellent for new vapers testing out the products.

I think that you are doing awesome with what you have posted already.

I did the same thing when I purchased my audio equipment for my car.
Go into the store and see what I wanted, then buy it all online.
I went back to the store to purchase all of my wiring, fuses, grommets, etc etc etc.
I also paid the store for some installations that I did not have the tools for.
I saved hundreds on buying online, and was able to use that to give to the store for alot of other things related.
So it was a win/win.

KarenB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
LA, CA.
Azphat12 that's a really good way of looking at things. The BF doesn't have a lot of money to spend so he worries that I am spending to much BUT if it get's him off the analogs I am willing to spend the money and the current set up we have seems to be doing it. I will talk to him about buying the hardware from the store and maybe 1 or 2 bottles while in store for "emergency purposes" (read ... zomg i am almost out of Dragon's Tear!!!!!!1111)

Thank you everyone for your feedback ... I am the type of person who can't use a bathroom at a restaurant without buying something ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread