Building coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

keenanmcfar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2012
ottawa
Personally i like the thicker guages of nichrome as it seems less prone to hot spots. Ive had no experience with kanthal. Apparently there is a difference in taste and supposedly durability. Kanthal is supposed to be stronger. Honestly though... I havent had one coil break yet. Another advantage of thick wire.

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
What range of resistance are you looking for? How much space do you have to build the coil? These will effect which wire would work best for you. If you've only got enough space to wrap up 1" of wire for a coil the 30g will probably be too LR. I use 1-1/2" of 32g Kanthal A1 and get a 2.0 ohm coil when I wrap it. I start with a 2" piece and use a 1/4" on each end to twist with NR wire for legs. If I did the same with 30g wire the resistance would be lower, 34g would be higher. If I still wanted 2.0 ohm but didn't have enough space to wrap 1-1/2" for coil I'd use a shorter and thinner wire to get same results. Seems complicated at first, but once you mess with the wires and your attys you'll quickly figure it out. I'd start with some 32 & 34g or some 32 & 36g I think 30g would probably be too big unless you are making a very large coil.

Nurzrachit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray,GA.
I have bought a few repairables and need some advice on building the coils. What is the diffrence between nichrome and kanthal? which is better? What gage of wire is best? I,ve herd 30,32,36. Any advice anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. thanks.
It really does depend on how much space you have. When I rebuild my Vivi Nova I use 4 coil wrap with 36G Kanthal, comes out to 3 ohms. When I rebuilt my Ratank I used a 13 coil 30g nichrome. All depends on the space, and your desired preference. I would recommend getting several sizes to play with. It is cheap, and you can practice with differnt ones. Good luck. 260.jpg

dirfm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
North America - Florida
I agree - it does come down to a personal preference. I find nichrome a little easier and forgiving with tighter builds. Kathal is nice on the larger rebuilds, but not a necessity. I do also agree with unloaded 30 kanthal is WAY big, 30 nichrome (what I use) is not bad though as Nurzrachit suggests - it can wrap very tightly. Get a few of them and play with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread