First coil advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollyone

Sep 25, 2019
Hi. I'm interested in building my first coil. I think I'd like to try a single coil build first, for simplicity. I'm ordering a geekvape zeus x 25mm rta, a pack of cotton lump, a toolkit, and - I'm not sure which wire I should get. I've read a little, and I think a regular kanthal KA1 wire would be best for me? I'm not sure what gauge I should get. I guess bigger would be easier for me to manipulate. I usually vape using a .2 ohm coil in a cerberus tank on my Aegis Solo. That is the kind of experience I am aiming for. I have no idea what I'm doing though when it comes to what wire I need to achieve that, or anything having to do with building a coil for that matter. Can different wires create the same effect depending on how the coil is built, number of wraps and so on? I guess more surface area would create a thicker vapor. I have bookmarked the coil wrapping calculator on steam-engine.org and plan to use that. Does anyone have any advice on what wire I should get for my first time. Or any advice at all?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi. I'm interested in building my first coil. I think I'd like to try a single coil build first, for simplicity. I'm ordering a geekvape zeus x 25mm RTA, a pack of cotton lump, a toolkit, and - I'm not sure which wire I should get. I've read a little, and I think a regular kanthal KA1 wire would be best for me? I'm not sure what gauge I should get. I guess bigger would be easier for me to manipulate. I usually vape using a .2 ohm coil in a cerberus tank on my Aegis Solo. That is the kind of experience I am aiming for. I have no idea what I'm doing though when it comes to what wire I need to achieve that, or anything having to do with building a coil for that matter. Can different wires create the same effect depending on how the coil is built, number of wraps and so on? I guess more surface area would create a thicker vapor. I have bookmarked the coil wrapping calculator on steam-engine.org and plan to use that. Does anyone have any advice on what wire I should get for my first time. Or any advice at all?

I would do some "What If" scenarios on Steam Engine to get a Feel for what Wire Alloy/Gauge/Number of Wraps you think you might want to try.

When I was New to Coil Building, I built everything using a 3mm ID Coil. It made Wicking a little more forgiving than a Smaller or Larger Coil ID.

As for What Wire?...

My theory is Wire is Cheap. So I would consider getting a small spool of Both Kanthal A1 and SS (and possibly even NiChrome 80) in maybe 26ga and 28ga.

It's just Hard to say what you might Like the Best? So I would get a Lot of Choices in One Order to save on Shipping.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
If you want to stay in the .2ohm range and single coil I would suggest 24g SS 316L wire. 4/5 wraps 3mm id is .23ish ohm. You can get a coil jig kit for less than $10. They are easy to use and perfect coils every time. I agree with @zoiDman. Grab a selection of wire. 24g, 26g and even 28g in kanthal a1, nichrome 80 and SS316L.

Heatingman

Sep 18, 2016
Ive found the easiest decks are postless. I use one by Vandyvape. I dont know what its called, but its the style that builds like a dripper, but has a tank below - RDTA?

I used to do dual coils and have tried all sorts of arrangements.

Ive settled on a single coil clapton wire set up.

But for starting out, get 26 gauge Kanthol.

I just do 6 tight wraps around the largest phillups head screwdriver shaft that comes in a precision screwdriver kit.

Its pretty simple, no need for ohm meters or whatever, the mod has that built in. Does not matter what is positive or negative. Just place the coil from one post to the other.

There are a whole slew of how to videos on Youtube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mollyone

Sep 25, 2019
Thanks guys. The tool kit I ordered came with a little coiling tool that helps you wrap a certain gauge of wire, so I've been using that. Everything has worked out pretty good. I'm happy with the tank. I am still learning how to make what I like, but I am a hands-on trial and error learner and I really enjoy tinkering with things. Thanks for your advice :)

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks guys. The tool kit I ordered came with a little coiling tool that helps you wrap a certain gauge of wire, so I've been using that. Everything has worked out pretty good. I'm happy with the tank. I am still learning how to make what I like, but I am a hands-on trial and error learner and I really enjoy tinkering with things. Thanks for your advice :)

Right On mollyone.

There is something Inherently Satisfying about taking a Good Hit off a coil that You Made Yourself.

:thumb:

• Agree
Reactions: Izan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread