Burnt cotton taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJTP

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2012
TN
So I recently bought the new $35 starter kit; the store only had the Menthol pack included (I really wanted the variety pack one - shame Blu doesn't sell a variety pack online!), so I bought a Java pack seperate in case I didn't like the Menthol.

Well, I get home, and try the two flavors, and right away, I notice that the Java tastes like sweet coffee for only a couple hits; the cartomizer then makes a loud "pop" and then it started immediately tasting like a soft, but distinct, burnt cotton.

I've had this happen to different brands and carts before, so I thought "Oh well, move to the next one." I then try the menthol, and while the flavor was only strong and lush on the first couple hits, it didn't loose a menthol taste no matter how much the thing popped and sizzled and tasted "fine" for hours.

After I'm done with that cart, I go back and try another Java. Immediately, the thing pops extremely loud, and opposite to the wonderful smell the Java's have, it again tasted like burnt cotton. Even some metallic hazes in there. I try a third one, which doesn't even produce a vapor at all until I'm sucking so hard I'm red in the face, where it finally "pops" and just tastes burnt too. Sadly, I try a 4th, and while this one stays "tolerable" tasting for a few minutes (maybe traces of coffee?), it again goes burnt after a few hits.

So I then try out only my 2nd Menthol, which does as good as the first Menthol cart, staying enjoyable. This means that it's not my battery, not how hard I'm inhaling (I do a very soft, low, slow inhale to avoid burning noises), and not anything else.

Does anyone know what's going on? Also, I had to charge my pack and batteries using the USB chord plugged into my computer (I don't have a car). Could any sort of voltage difference that is different from the specified on the car charger be causing the carts to heat up too much (which would probably effect darker liquid first?)

Also, just as a review, one of the batteries in the pack barely works, it'll only light up for a second or not at all, unless you take a elephant-strength inhale. I will have to send it in.

MJTP

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2012
TN
As an update, I tried my 5th Java cart when my battery was half-charged, and I also inhaled extremely slowly, all to avoid the initial "pop", and while the thing doesn't taste great, it hasn't tasted burnt after 5 hits so far. But it still seems that even every time these carts "sizzle", that the taste immediately changes a step for the worst. Should these things really be making any noises at all? Shouldn't the intestines of the product be so damp that the liquid doesn't have to sound like it's frying like a sausage?

Also, with all my carts so far from Blu, I've noticed that if I walk out of the room I was vaping in, and come back in, the room smells like a lightly singed sock. This can't be healthy nor right! The vapor should smell good if the juice is the only thing being burned!

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
I havent had any pop but every cart ends with that burning paper/cotton taste.... mayne mine are drying up and I cant taste the flavor diminishing enough before they grt to the burning point after 10 years of a pack of analogs a day yet.... ive taken a few apart and found the air tube was burned through but the padding wasnt dry.... interested to see how things work out over the next few days as my taste starts coming back and I get around to getting juice to refill them....

Hulip

Sep 30, 2013
Jersey
I had bought the BLU starter pack and returned it a day later. It tasted great for the first few puffs, then it tasted like burning wood or something like a campfire. Was nasty. This was for the classic tobacco carts btw. The blu disposable doesn't have this problem. Been using those until my Ovale mini arrives.

Oh and one of the batteries would barely let me have a few puffs before dying. Bad product. Brilliant marketing though.

heatwave

Sep 20, 2013
Twin Ports, MN
I have the Blu starter pack myself. I bought the variety pack. The Menthol and the regular tobacco carts were fine. Both the vanilla and the cherry carts worked but didn't seem to work as well or for as long as the menthol and regular carts. Still have one unopened regular tobacco cart to go through. Went to the local smoke shop and bought some menthol juice. Refilled the menthol carto and have been vaping it this evening. Much better with the refill than it was out of the package. Better vaper and taste. I ordered some empty cartos that fit the blu batts and hopefully the pcc to just fill my own. I have not yet experienced the batt problems many report and have been using it for about 2 weeks now. But I have to caveat that by saying that I was not a heavy smoker to begin with so I am not working this thing anywhere near as hard as a pack a day or more smoker would be. Just my 2 cents.

Skymutt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Steel City, PA, USA
I've been using mine for 2 months so far and have had no batt issues, they still last me 1.5-2 hours of fairly steady use, and take about 1.5 to charge in the pack. The only carto problems I've had were with an extra pack of menthol the store owner gave me free when I bought the starter pack. They were definitely old, still had the gold/copper threads and the older O-ring under the cap (which had yellowed from the nic). They all started out tasting fine, but the flavor died extremely fast even though there was still plenty of vapor being produced. After a top-off with some other juice, though, they keep on working just fine.

I also got a free sampler pack from the website for starting an account, and was sent another OLD stock pack. Gold connectors again, old yellowed O-rings too. They were so old that they all smelled like the cherry flavor, and even tasted like it for the first puff or two. Funny thing is that the cherry cart itself was DOA, not dried out, just non-functional.
The coffee flavor was just foul, didn't last 15 mins before it lost the "coffee" and just started tasting like bitter chemicals. I actually like their tobacco flavor even though it tastes nothing like tobacco. It reminds me of powdered instant cappuccino. Those started out normally and lost flavor as fast as the real coffee carto and then had the same bitter chem taste. Those cartos are all still soaking in alcohol, but I'm guessing that once they're cleaned and refilled they'll work just fine.

Skymutt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Steel City, PA, USA
I'm not even sure they technically still offer the free sampler. I emailed customer support because I noticed my charge pack was put together poorly. The front and rear halves weren't centered together and so the inside holes for the cigs and cartos were off center. It was making it so that whenever I pulled the assembled cig out, the carto would catch and the black wraps were peeling because of it. It's also why 510 cartos won't fit inside. I bought another kit used so I could tear apart the pack and experiment with the charger, and 510's fit in it just fine, albeit a slight bit tight.

When the support rep said I'd have to send everything back, I asked if there was a way to just send the charge pack and get another back, but they said they would have to ship me an entirely new starter pack. I asked them if they could send me the sampler version because I'd have preferred that one originally but the store had none. They said it had to be the same exact version I sent in, but that they'd hook me up with a sampler pack of cartos if I created the account on their site. It might be worth sending them an email to ask about it, but I'd wait a while if I were you, because I get the feeling you'd just get the same old stock that I did.

Skymutt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Steel City, PA, USA
I'm not even sure they technically still offer the free sampler. I emailed customer support because I noticed my charge pack was put together poorly. The front and rear halves weren't centered together and so the inside holes for the cigs and cartos were off center. It was making it so that whenever I pulled the assembled cig out, the carto would catch and the black wraps were peeling because of it. It's also why 510 cartos won't fit inside. I bought another kit used so I could tear apart the pack and experiment with the charger, and 510's fit in it just fine, albeit a slight bit tight.

When the support rep said I'd have to send everything back, I asked if there was a way to just send the charge pack and get another back, but they said they would have to ship me an entirely new starter pack. I asked them if they could send me the sampler version because I'd have preferred that one originally but the store had none. They said it had to be the same exact version I sent in, but that they'd hook me up with a sampler pack of cartos if I created the account on their site. It might be worth sending them an email to ask about it, but I'd wait a while if I were you, because I get the feeling you'd just get the same old stock that I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread