Button covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotherNatural

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You can buy it in a spray can at an auto supply store. I've worked with metals for years. After you polish it handle it with a rag rather than your hands or use gloves. The oils on your hands will leave an invisible mark that will show up later UNDER the clear coat. If that happens you would have to strip the clear coat off and redo. Also, don't apply it too thick or it will discolor. Two or three thin coats works better. The smell is noxious so do this project outside.

The downside of the lacquer is that it will eventually chip and tarnish in the chipped areas only. It's impossible to get a nice polish where it chips and would have to be stripped with acetone and redone.

MotherNatural

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I don't know of any brass cleaner with built in tarnish preventative. There is a silver polish with a tarnish preventative (it doesn't actually prevent it but ......s its formation) but it doesn't polish brass well. I wonder if it would help to use it on already polished brass? Hmmm. I'll try this today and see what the results are in a few days.

MotherNatural

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks for the tip. Have you ever used the Protectaclear? I may just order the $14 bottle instead of using Lacquer. I keep hearing great things about it.

Perfect!!!

(Sorry for getting your thread off track, Roxy.)

Last edited:

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Sorry too Moma. But in a way... it's not off track. IF you get the Brass button cover (or even Brass Reomizer), you'll face this Patina issue 6 hours after using it. :unsure: But however, when Brass is shined to a shiny Gold color, and then sealed.... it will stay looking that beautiful for along time. I just love the Brass look. Makes anything look great. :)

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
We have a makeshift button cover at the moment. The rubber thing from a 1cc syringe was too small for me to stretch over the button, but a 3cc syringe one went on. Thanks for the idea. I'm much more happily squonking now :)

And something interesting has happened with my 2.1 ohm coil. It broke in or something and its tasting really nice right now.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I've seen some Reo button covers at Mountain Oaks Vapors made from fired brass; I remember a couple made from .45 ammo, and one from .50 caliber. Brass with silver primer; I bet it would look good with the right colors.

Those would be the ones from Fred's Creative Customs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread