Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgetmonster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2009
Kent, UK
Hi All

I have been using my GGTS for over 3 weeks now and am loving it. It's cleaned once a week but I am having problems with the button now and again.

It seems to get stuck on the way down resulting in it not making contact. Has anyone put any lubricant on to make the button press easier? If so does any particular brand work best?

boomboom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I would highly recommend against using any lubricant.....it'll just gum things up in there. The only advice I have is to take your button apart, clean and/or sand the inside of the button housing and the nail and all should be okay. To sand it, use some 1000 grit emory cloth (aka sandpaper for metal). Once very lightly sanded, wipe all the dust off. I also give my spring inside the button housing a good wipe down with my cape cod cloths for good measure.

Be sure not to over do it on the sanding. It takes hardly any effort at all to remove contaminants.

Good luck

gadgetmonster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2009
Kent, UK
Hi Imeo

No it definitely is not the contacts it feels as if the buttons centre post is getting stuck against the side when I press it down. Im sure its the way I pressed the button down.

However

I have now replaced the spring with magnets and all's well. The button action seems so much smoother now - reminds me of the button on the very first GG I bought - nice :)

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Hi Imeo

No it definitely is not the contacts it feels as if the buttons centre post is getting stuck against the side when I press it down. Im sure its the way I pressed the button down.

However

I have now replaced the spring with magnets and all's well. The button action seems so much smoother now - reminds me of the button on the very first GG I bought - nice :)

very nice mate. Also dont forget to clean the magnets too because they collect dust inside button so if you see misfires then take button apart and give it a nice clean to magnets by a towel:)

CatVTTV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2009
Tyne & Wear, UK
www.cpnewcastle.co.uk
Like the original poster here, I have had my GGTS for three weeks and have exactly the same problem, the button feels as though its catching on something every time I depress it.

I have taken it all apart several times, so its clean as a whistle, but still it catches. Not at all like the one on my GGT which still to this day has smooth action.

So, I intend to buy the magnets, but, and excuse my ignorance here, I have no idea what I do with them, where do I put them? I note on the UK site, Cameron shows a photo of three of them, does that mean, the cost is for three, or is that for display purposes? Do I put them on the shaft?

I love my GGTS, and have now mastered the AVS, although Im currently using 808 cartomisers, which I feel reduce flavour substantially, but the 901 just didnt seem to feed all that well, maybe I should make the hole a little bigger?

I vape at 3.7v on an 18650.

However, I'm not at all keen on this button, it frequently unscrews itself, and combined with the problem of the sticking, stops me enjoying this beauty to its full perfection.

So come on guys, explain to this daft female, how the magnetic button works, and apart from buying a 510 adapter, which I will as soon as Krom gets more in, how do I improve the flavour from cartos, or get the 901 to wick faster.

CatVTTV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2009
Tyne & Wear, UK
www.cpnewcastle.co.uk
Is this a video by Imeo? if so, I cant find one relating to magnets in the list, perhaps it has another title?

I am a great believer in searching for answers, hence I found Gadgets original thread, but, I need a little bit more of a clue on this one..

Its OK... I found it.. thanks.

CatVTTV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2009
Tyne & Wear, UK
www.cpnewcastle.co.uk
Thanks ZuTma, will try that..

Yes Imeo, Cameron has already offered to do that, he is a sweetie. But, Im debating getting the switch that is part aluminium, and asking Cameron if he will put the magnets in for me, as I do have dexterity problems, and no pliers......lol

and yes I know I dont need a new switch, I just love the 2 colour look, and I want my GG to look even nicer...lol

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
Thanks guys. I have some magnets but can't get the button apart lol.

Neither could I; even with nylon jaw pliers. I used an old jewelers trick and it works like a charm.

Here's some pics and commentary to walk you through.

slim2.jpg

JB Kwik a wood screw with a head LARGER in diameter than the contact. Leave for 30 minutes until it sets. JB Kwik a 901 atty to the button end and let it set for 30 minutes. After the wait, take pliers, secure the wood screw, and turn the atty with your fingers....the button will easily unscrew because you have leverage.

Now, to remove the screw and atty WITHOUT damaging the button sections.

Take the wood screw section and place on a hard surface. Carefully tap the screw head. Turn and tap...turn and tap....turn and tap. After a few taps and turns it will easily separate. Take the atty and a pair of pliers and squeeze it in the middle...turn and squeeze....turn and squeeze....turn and squeeze. When you squeeze the atty in the middle it pulls away from the button and easily separates.

slim3.jpg

slim4.jpg

What JB Kwik is left on the button section will come right off with pressure from your fingernails. Do your magnet upgrade and reassemble to finger tight. You don't have to worry about the epoxy not coming off because it takes 24 hours to fully cure and it doesn't stick well at all to polished surfaces.

Here's the button after a quick wipe down and reassembly. I made a nylon bushing for my Slim to stop the side "wobble"....now it's straight in and straight out.

slim1.jpg

slim5.jpg

If you have any questions or need some help, just let me know. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread