Buyer Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
I ordered a Segelei ZMAX V3 Telescoping Flattop form exhalevapors.com on Friday. I have to say that their shipping is outstanding as I received it today (Monday).

However, when I opened it, I noticed, the screen was scratched up, there was adhesive that oozed out between the screen an body, the OLED was crooked, and there are dead pixels on the screen. It looked like I got a returned item.

I emailed support and they want me to pay to send it back so they can send me a new one. I told them that I would just toss it in the junk drawer as I can't see spending even more money on this just to HOPE that the next one was good. Am I wrong to think that they should send me a new one with a postage paid return label? It seems only fair as I never should have received a defective item to begin with.

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
I think paying postage for the return of such an item is pretty standard...not limited to vape gear. I suppose it affords the seller some protection.

I would agree with this and have no problem doing that if say I didn't like the item and just wanted to return it. But this item is defective. I feel the same with anything I order. When I order it, I expect it to be free of defects. If it is not, it should be the vendors responsibility to replace it at their expense.

So let's say it costs me $10 to send it back. Now I just paid $10 more for the item. And if the next one is defective, there's another $10. I shouldn't have to foot the bill for their lack of quality control.

I guess if nothing else, I paid $60 for a backup to my backups and found a vendor that I won't be doing further business with.

PeteC2

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Bristol, CT
As a customer, I naturally would rather not pay return postage on a defective product...however, it is only a few bucks, on a $60 mod? I am not going to lose $60 over a $5.00 return postage (should not cost $10 for return postage)

Had you bought it at a B&M vape shop, and it proved defective, they are hardly going to drive to yur home and give you a replacement, so you are still out both time and mileage to get it replaced...little dfference there.

backsplash

Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Austin TX
To be honest exhale vapors doesn't make the mod so it's not their fault. I had a similar problem and mailed mine back for $6.00. They were the cheapest so the money I saved went back to shipping it out. These online stores run at such a low margin they would probably be out of business if they had to pay shipping for everything sent back.

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
As a customer, I naturally would rather not pay return postage on a defective product...however, it is only a few bucks, on a $60 mod? I am not going to lose $60 over a $5.00 return postage (should not cost $10 for return postage)

Had you bought it at a B&M vape shop, and it proved defective, they are hardly going to drive to yur home and give you a replacement, so you are still out both time and mileage to get it replaced...little dfference there.

So you're saying that I wouldn't have to drive to the post office too.

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
To be honest exhale vapors doesn't make the mod so it's not their fault. I had a similar problem and mailed mine back for $6.00. They were the cheapest so the money I saved went back to shipping it out. These online stores run at such a low margin they would probably be out of business if they had to pay shipping for everything sent back.

Very simple to solve, some vendors test the items before they ship them. And the vendor is responsible. Do you ship your car back to a GM or Ford plant when something breaks? Or do you take it back to an authorized dealer?

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
Either way, I probably should have reposted. The scratches on the screen weren't really scratches. There was a screen protector that fit the screen perfectly so I didn't even know it was there. And I live with the crooked screen and dead pixels.

But I still don't think I should be responsible for damaged goods. I've dealt with other vendors that just shipped a new item without wanting the old item back.

backsplash

Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Austin TX
I had to send my v3 back to exhale they were great to deal with. I paid the shipping and got store credit and bought
the
ytasu5um.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374273476.554201.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374273476.554201.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 92

Gary Mcroy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I dunno if I was a vendor id never send someone a new mod without having the first damaged on back first, anyone could rip them off that way. Ive never seen any vendors that do that infact. It might would be nice if they'd give you store credit or something for your return shipping but no i just couldnt imagine them sending another mod out without getting the original back first. Seems pretty standerd, atleast from my experience and ive had a pv break before and I was told the same thing, send it back, get a new one. I just didnt wanna wait and fixed it myself, but I went to college for electronics engineering (but am not an electronics engineer) ha

Unfortunately, it appears that quite a few Sig V3's have the wonky/scratched screen issue.
Sounds like the vendor didn't get a chance to check it before it was sent to you - they probably assumed Segelei had checked them too - Segelei are getting a bit of a rep for sending out blemished product.

I thought mine was scratched at first, did you guys take the layer of film off?

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Either way, I probably should have reposted. The scratches on the screen weren't really scratches. There was a screen protector that fit the screen perfectly so I didn't even know it was there. And I live with the crooked screen and dead pixels.

But I still don't think I should be responsible for damaged goods. I've dealt with other vendors that just shipped a new item without wanting the old item back.

While I understand your disappointment over not getting a free unit shipped and your retention of a functional original unit, most vendors will work with you on a store credit or some such based on what it cost you to send the unit back .. First Class return shipping would be very little ..

backsplash

Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Austin TX
Exactly, Uncle Wille. A car dealership isnt going to pay for the gas it takes to get back to the dealer ship, or send you a new car before the other one is back. It states right in their return policy that they will exchange with a equal or greater valued item or issue store credit, but you are responsible for shipping costs. I understand the frustration, but this is what you get when you buy online.

oldjoe

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2011
Il.
I fully understand a vendor not replacing a product before it can be determined that the product is in fact damaged as well as covered under warranty terms and they have to have the item in their possession to effectively determine that.
BUT, IMHO, I feel vendors should offer a prepaid return label on items that warrant the expense. If the item doesn't get returned there out a few dollars at the very most. At the very least, offer a credit to compensate the customers cost of return shipping.
I've owned two successful businesses over the years and learned very early on that customer satisfaction is a necessity for success.
It may cost a few dollars here and there but that usually comes back many times over in repeat business and word of mouth advertising.
More than one online e-cig vendor have lost my business over poor/unfriendly service. I'll pay more for good service anytime.

glowplug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
Lakewood, CO USA
Most mail order vendors for anything are the same, if you need to return an item, pay the postage, when they receive it (and see the postage) or, if you send a copy of the postage receipt, they will refund it or, give you a shopping credit for that amount.

I think this is more than fair. No one, nothing is perfect. There will always be defective units in everything we buy. I dare say I have not been perfect in my life despite my concerted effort to convince many to the contrary! I expect to pay for my mistakes, and trust me, I have paid! :blush:

I think your solution is perfect and I hope the vendor is willing to refund the postage of the return as soon as it is proven that the unit is defective. I do not think a vendor can take every customer's word as fact. I have a new APV that I really don't know how to use. I could be reporting a defect (like the scratched screen) when, in fact, it is a feature that I do not know how to use correctly. Once it is proven defective, I believe return shipping should be reimbursed and shipping the new item should be covered as well. I am not trying to be mean, but our pocket books are a great motivation when it comes to quality assurance. If I ship defective units that I could have caught in the warehouse, I should assume some cost of replacement. If I lose money, I will probably take appropriate actions to tighten up the QA procedures to avoid further losses.

This assumes profit is the motivation for change. We would all like to believe that vendors just do this out of the goodness of their hearts. While many do love vaping and love to help people with this hobby, if they don't make money, they don't stay in business!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread