Buying first APV.....Smoktech SID or Vamo V5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZHunt1130

Sep 25, 2013
Lexington, KY
I'm 7 months into vaping, my ego twists have served me well to this point but they just aren't cutting it anymore. I'm craving the clouds, and these little guys just aren't going to give me my mini HAARP machine that I'm looking for haha. That being said I'm looking to snag my first mod. I've done tons of research and I've narrowed it down to the Smoktech SID and the Vamo V5. Close behind those would be the SVD or a Zmax of some sort but seeing as it's my first mod, I just can't justify spending twice as much for something that will likely give me the same performance.

I've seen tons and pros and cons on the Vamo and I'd say it's probably the front runner, I do like the form factor of the SID though. My main issue is I've yet to come across something that plainly convinces me to get one over the other. I'm not concerned about the one button on the SID b/c I'll probably just be leaving it set to watts anyways. Anyone have experience with both? Is one really better than the other, or am I just at a stalemate with aesthetics at this point?

ZHunt1130

Sep 25, 2013
Lexington, KY
Well we all know the clouds can be subjective to what you're using. My buddy has a V3 w/ an iclear 30 on top and it puts out plumes. I figure once I get my Cobra all suited up or an RSST on top of it it would blow thunderstorms. That's been my main deterrent to RBA up to this point is my ego's just won't fire those things the way they're designed to.

EDIT: If you don't mind me asking where did you get your V5 from? I've looked on vapor alley, they seem to have it for a reasonable price. I know fast tech has good package deals and all but I don't feel like waiting for 2 weeks to receive the order, nor do I need 3 CE4 style clearos that I'll never use.

Last edited:

Liquid king

Sep 19, 2013
Uk
I'm 7 months into vaping, my ego twists have served me well to this point but they just aren't cutting it anymore. I'm craving the clouds, and these little guys just aren't going to give me my mini HAARP machine that I'm looking for haha. That being said I'm looking to snag my first mod. I've done tons of research and I've narrowed it down to the Smoktech SID and the Vamo V5. Close behind those would be the SVD or a Zmax of some sort but seeing as it's my first mod, I just can't justify spending twice as much for something that will likely give me the same performance.

I've seen tons and pros and cons on the Vamo and I'd say it's probably the front runner, I do like the form factor of the SID though. My main issue is I've yet to come across something that plainly convinces me to get one over the other. I'm not concerned about the one button on the SID b/c I'll probably just be leaving it set to watts anyways. Anyone have experience with both? Is one really better than the other, or am I just at a stalemate with aesthetics at this point?

I am like you in that I have an Ego Twist and wanted something with abit more balls, I was torn between the vamo V5 and the a SVD, but here in the UK the vamo v5 is £20 cheaper than the svd, so I got the vamo, the svd has a better battery cap, but that's not a deal breaker, I like the vamo ease of use, I like the vamo full stop and pleased I got it, great mod, and very steady performance, no dips at all, I will be getting a prevarication before Christmas, but wanted to try something else first, even when I get the prevari I will still use the vamo, and I will probably buy a couple of other cheaper mods along the way, having one high priced one is more than enough, I would rather have one prevari and 3 mid priced ones than 2 high priced ones, not really into the mechanical ones, but do love the look of the silver bulit, so may add one of those along the way, as they have stood the test of time in vaping, hate the look of the empire personally, but in can recommend the vamo v5, but don't think u would be disappointed with either of the ones u mentioned

I have a Vamo V3, Sigelei zmax v5 and a provari.

Out of all 3, value for money hands down goes to the Vamo v3, it will do everything the others do and more (with exception to the sigelei). The extra two buttons and their shortcuts make it very versatile. My personal favorite is the sigelei, Provari is just to expensive for what it does (build quality is second to none though!)

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
As you said, function will be the same for pretty much all devices you listed.

If you can visit a local B&M where you can actually go and see, hold and even use the devices, it might be easier to make a choice.

If you can't, just have a quick read of the APV forums here to get an idea as to what issues people are having with each - it might help you make up your mind.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I like the 3 button operation of the Vamo over a single button model. I don't like the threading issues that the V2 had. I'm hoping the V5 doesn't have those issues. Here's one option for the V5:

http://www.fairy-gift.com/vamo-v5-p-62.html

And there is a 10% off code at the top of page which will lower the price to $36.

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
I would just buy the one that you think would feel the best in your hand, look good, as has the best return and warrantee!
They will not last forever, not for that money.. Don't expect it to.
I have the SID almost 2 mos. It's working great !
Kinda a little slippery at times. Has all the modern functions on a single button, def. not a hassle..
Good Luck

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
I have a Vamo V3, Sigelei zmax v5 and a provari.

Out of all 3, value for money hands down goes to the Vamo v3, it will do everything the others do and more (with exception to the sigelei). The extra two buttons and their shortcuts make it very versatile. My personal favorite is the sigelei, Provari is just to expensive for what it does (build quality is second to none though!)

Do you even use your ProVari?

I have a Segelei Zmax/RSST RBA, eGo/IGO-S RDA, Diablo (clone)/Trident RDA and haven't used any of them since I got my ProVari mini.
They have all served their purpose but right now I'm enjoying the vape from the ProVari/Trident combo.

Actually

Oct 1, 2013
Kentucky
I recently decided to jump into the APV world, myself. I haven't received it yet, though; still waiting for it to get here.

I decided to go with the Vamo V3. In terms of value, I couldn't find anything better in my search. Considering the low, low price, and the features (and the quality of the features, in that they seem to work well), all of the competitors seemed over-priced in comparison.

Though, as you may be able to tell, I value function more than form, and the looks of the Vamo devices are definitely not to everyone's liking (and that goes for both body styles).

jcmios

May 7, 2013
NE Iowa
I have the SID and have been using it for a little over 2 months. One of the best purchases I have made and at the price I don't worry about protecting it all the time. All I can say which ever you purchase get a good charger and at least 4 batteries especially if you travel. Your charger should charge output at 1000mAh unlike the Trustfire model that sells for $10.00 or $11.00, expect to spend $35.00 +/- $5.

Jim

D. Waterhouse

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
central WI USA
Well, from what I've heard, the SiD is kind of a tank. Hell, Pbusardo dropped his off of a ladder the night before he reviewed it. If durability is part of your equation, it seems the SiD has plenty.

Click this link. :)

I got my SID here, $44.95, don't know what it runs else where, but it does pretty well, no issues. I also have an eVic which I like just a tad better, I don't know why? :blink:
SmokTech S.I.D. Variable Voltage eCig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread