Status
Not open for further replies.

arkador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2011
Texas
Been using my Buzz Pro for about a month now. Recently had a set of batteries die, and replaced them with a set off the charger.

My red light will now turn on :blink:

I tried using a different combination of batteries, hoping that is was possibly just 1 bad battery, but with 5 batteries, I could find no combination of batteries that would get the red LED to turn on.

I took off the top cap, and everything looks fine. I looked in the bottom tube, and everything looks fine there too.....

What troubleshooting steps do I need to follow next?

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Check to see that the bottom edge of the tube, and the rim of the bottom cap are clean, so you have good contact of cap to tube when screwed together.

Meter the batteries, they should show > 3.6V (actually, around 4.2V fresh off the charger).

Check the actual battery contacts for cleanliness, a pencil eraser is good to clean them with.

Gentle pencil eraser on the brass tube standoff in the center of the tube, where the positive terminal of the top battery makes contact.

arkador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2011
Texas
Checked everything Mark listed except a voltage check, as I don't have a meter, I seriously doubt that 4 of my 5 batteries went bad in 24 hours. I tried every possible combination of my batteries. and even if it were the batteries, then I should still get at least a dim red light, there is nothing.

submitted a ticket with notcigs, afraid that it will likely take a trip to the ecig doctor...

Last edited:

arkador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2011
Texas
both batteries in hand are reading 4.18v

from the bottom cap screw to the top of the 510 connector is showing 0ohm (certainty that the bottom cap is making full contact.

not that it matters, my 3ohm Boge carto is reading 3.02 Ohm.

I think at this point, I can be almost 100% sure that the problem is in the Buzz, I will have to wait to hear back from Notcigs tomorrow, and probably be stuck using my Roughstack for at least a week.

Last edited:

arkador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2011
Texas
Do you have a battery tester on your meter? I've seen entire batches of batteries go bad and won't output anything under load even though they show they have voltage.

No, I just have a DMM. And in the scenario you reference, I should get a red light, and when i fire, I would get a red/blue light. Went through that with a bad battery about a month ago.

arkador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2011
Texas
OK tap it in your hand with the batts in it and see if you get an led while doing it , if so there is gunk on the internal contact, also look in there and make sure you see a brass contact on the bottom of the PCB .

The Brass Contact on the PCB is shiny and clean, as is every other connection. Tapped it against the side of my hand a couple times, and it did nothing. I even took previous recommendation, and shined up the contact with an eraser (tho it was already very clean)

So, Mike, I send a message using the "Contact us" on the notcigs site. Should I wait to hear back from that? it was sent with the same email address I registered here with

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
I'm pretty sure Mike doesn't want anyone to have one of his PVs that isn't working properly :) You did a very good job of trying to troubleshoot the problem, and got a lot of great advice on what to try. That helps Mike in the long run.

I expect he'll get back with you either here or from your "contact us" email tomorrow to let you know about the batteries.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
He might honor the warranty if it's not to long and even if he didn't he wouldn't charge that much.

Dang this PC is going slow tonight. I don't know if it's my PC, ECF or what. I've done two scans on it , one with Malwarebytes Pro and one with Kaspersky. Neither one showed any problems. I also did the Belarc Adviser and everything looks okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread