Buzz Pro vs. OG Buzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
This is also posted in mod reviews

So I just want to begin with saying I am in love with both of these PVs. Both have features that I prefer more than the other but both have one very important thing in common. They both put out proper power and function very well.

The OG Buzz was the first mod I ever owned and even though that purple Buzz is long gone it was what kept me off cigarettes for the longest time since before I was 11. I love my Buzzes and will be buying a vv reo(reo with Mike from not cigs electronics)and possibly an infinity. I have tried plenty of other mods and to me Mike makes amazing PVs.

There are a few similarities in these PVs but a ton of differing features as well.

1. Both tubes are roughly the same size. Both are the same width but the Buzz Pro is a few millimeters taller.
2. Both have the same threading so end caps are interchangeable(but they differ)
3. Both PVs offer a raised 510 connection, 808, 901, or 801. All connections are easily interchangeable with a screwdriver.
4. Both have nearly identical buttons. The pros button feels a touch harder but this could just be from softening from use.
5. Both offer a ton of protection. Over current protection, reverse battery protection, short protection, and 3 vent holes on the bottom of each(with an extra on the pros bottom end cap)
6. Both have drip wells

Those are the similarities in the PVs but they both have some major differences in functionality.

I will start with the biggest difference between these two devices. The way you change voltages are two completely different systems on each.

The Buzz Pro uses a very easy to use wheel adjustment that is called the hit control. It is a very simple to use voltage control. The Buzz Pro has a wheel with colored notches to let you know nearly exactly what voltage you are running at without needing an LCD screen and multiple buttons. The hit control allows you to change the voltage of the device between 3.3 volts and 5.6 volts. It goes a bit below the green for 3.3, green for 3.5 volts, yellow for 4.4 volts, red for 5.2 volts, and a little past red for 5.6. This allows adjustment of flavor between juices and different ohm cartos/attys very easy and is one of the best features of this PV.

The OG Buzz uses a more old school screw adjustment. This allows you to change the voltage between 2.75 volts(actually this is just as low as my meter will let me go lol)and 6.3 volts. This is good for those who enjoy really high voltage. The buzz pro will allow 5.6 max so the OG does put out a bit more power. The biggest downfall is that changing voltage on the fly requires a multi meter and tiny screwdriver which could be easily lost when out. If you use the PV enough and know where you are at to begin with you can guess voltages but I thought I was around 4.5 this weekend and when I got home found out it was 5.1.

Both have 2 completely different LED functions.

The buzz pro has an internal LED that stays on. It is located in the hit control. It stays red when active and turns blue when fired. If you have a short or dead batteries it will stay red.

The OG Buzz has an external LED that changes from red to purple to blue as the voltage goes up. It also turns more and more red as your battery dies and stays red when fully dead. It is by far my favorite of the two LEDs.

The bottom cap function on the Buzz Pro is awesome. It works as an on off switch. If you twist it 1/4 of a turn the device shuts itself off making it more pocket friendly. However I have never had this mod fire in my pocket.

Battery life on both PVs is night and day. I feel like I don't have to constantly have batteries on me with the pro.

Buzz Pro - 12-14 hours with aw rca123 750mah batteries
OG Buzz - 6-8 hours with ultra fire 16340 880mah batteries

Another big difference is looks. The OG Buzz is a beautiful PV but at times it looks a little cluttered. The top has the button, ground screw, LED, voltage screw and 3 vent holes on bottom.

The Buzz Pro has the button on top and right next to it the hit control ans ground screw right above it. The bottom also has 3 vent holes and a serial number engraved into the finish. At first I thought I wouldnt like the serial number but it looks very nice.

All in all both are amazing PVs but the wheel hit control on the Buzz Pro and slightly less jumbled look sets it apart. The extra power of the OG Buzz isn't a big deal to me since I rarely go above 5 volts.

I would highly reccomend either of them but the Buzz Pro is a superior device. If you are looking into a VV mod then hands down this is the best out IMO.

Here are pictures. The blue one is the OG Buzz the black is the Buzz Pro

Buttons
IMG_20120212_174154.jpg

IMG_20120212_173924.jpg

LEDs
IMG_20120212_182340.jpg

IMG_20120212_174017.jpg

Voltage Control
IMG_20120212_174203.jpg

IMG_20120212_174056.jpg

Side by Side comparison
IMG_20120212_174353.jpg

IMG_20120212_174408.jpg

sent from my Ice Cream Sandwiched Samsung Fascinate

Last edited:

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
Nice post Bob. My first vv pv was a ob and we atill have it and it still works great. Have the bp's too and they work great also. There is also an OI and Ipro in the family and they work great too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just great pv's.

My next PV will probably be an I pro :)

sent from my Ice Cream Sandwiched Samsung Fascinate

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
I love the ease of use of the BP but I think the OB has a better hit. I know this may be crazy but I also like the knurling on the OB.

I like the knurling better as well. Like i said they are both amazing...but the wheel adjust on the BP wins me over. I wish i could put the wheel adjust on an og...it would be my perfect mod.

sent from my Ice Cream Sandwiched Gtablet

MusicBox

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2010
Australia
Thanks for that.:)
I like that it stays cooler. My OB gets a tad warm at times.
I would miss the knurling as well. It feels like a tool from my workshop. I have a blue one and a clear.
Is the BP finish the same as the OP? Does it feel a bit slippy?
My other main issue is the led. I am not a fan of leds (lighting up my home cinema). Are the leds in the BP bright?
I tend to press the button of my OB with my thumb and cover the led with my forefinger, is this necessary with the BP?
Also, how well does the drip cup work? My OBs are different. One is a flat top with a slight recess (probably an original original) and the other has a rounded top with a better recess. The rounded one obviously works better.

Thanks again

mianker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2010
USA
First let me qualify this by saying brightness may be a tiny bit subjective, but I would say the BP's leds are not bright. They are recessed in the adjustment wheel slit and I have to look right at the slit to even notice them.

The drip cup works great, it's concave and the only time I've had it not catch all my drips is when my tank fell apart on top of it.
sad-007.gif

Sorry but I don't have an OP to compare it to. I do have a matched set however...cause it's my very favorite.:D

exodus454

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2011
Western Connecticut
I really wish you could get the Pro with knurling.. always thought that looked really cool and more utilitarian.

I'm toying around with picking up an OG buzz as a backup to my BP. Only one in the classifieds right now is red. Kinda want another color to go with my rootbeer BP - the clear or blue would be awesome.

mianker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2010
USA
I really wish you could get the Pro with knurling.. always thought that looked really cool and more utilitarian.

I'm toying around with picking up an OG buzz as a backup to my BP. Only one in the classifieds right now is red. Kinda want another color to go with my rootbeer BP - the clear or blue would be awesome.

When I decided I wanted a back up for my BP I definitely knew I wanted another BP because the battery life is so much better, plus I love the dial. Just something to keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread