California -- SB 648 would ban the use of e-cigarettes wherever smoking is banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
the average person is "burnt out" on media stories. ...

Good post... but it pretty much doesn't apply in California.

The populated areas of CA, that have voting power and pull with Legislators, have more shops per sq/mi than probably anywhere else in the world.

From where I sit, I can drive to no less than 10 shops in less than 15 minutes. My county has over 50 shops at last count.

Everyone here seems to know someone who vapes... in fact, on any given day, I routinely see more people vaping than smoking.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Good post... but it pretty much doesn't apply in California.

The populated areas of CA, that have voting power and pull with Legislators, have more shops per sq/mi than probably anywhere else in the world.

From where I sit, I can drive to no less than 10 shops in less than 15 minutes. My county has over 50 shops at last count.

Everyone here seems to know someone who vapes... in fact, on any given day, I routinely see more people vaping than smoking.

Methinks we live in the same county. ;)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Wouldn't it be delightful if Ca, becomes the vaping mecca of the US lmao

glmao.gif

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Why is the name of the country the Philippines, but people from that country are called Filipinos?
PH vs F is I guess what I'm getting at here.

Inquiring minds want to know.
:)

From etymology - "Philippines" vs. "Filipino" - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

The Philippines were named for King Philip II of Spain. They were «Las Islas Filipinas», which was anglicized to the Philippine Islands.

The noun form retains the F (Filipino), while the adjective form uses Ph (Philippine Embassy).

(I've seen older texts in British English that referred to the natives as "Philippinos.")

As to why, there's this answer:

English never had a suitable equivalent for Filipino – a “Philippine,” “Philippian” or “Philippinian” probably just didn’t sound right, so English adopted the Spanish word Filipino, retaining the letter F and the suffix, “ino."

It's interesting to note that the country's official appellation in Pilipino is Repúblika ng Pilipinas. The Pilipino Express article explains that as well.

Not sure this really answers the question, but it's the best I could find...

fetalbounce

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
San Jose, CA
You can contact Senator Corbett here - Contact Me | Senate Majority Leader Ellen M. Corbett

This was just introduced and has not been assigned to a committee. Once it is assigned, CASAA will put up a Call to Action.

In addition to banning e-cigarette use is bars, restaurants, public buildings, etc., SB 648 would also permit landlords to ban e-cigarette use (as if something like that is enforceable).

The good news is that there is only one sponsor and no House companion bill. The bad news is that the one sponsor of SB 648 is Senator Ellen Corbett, the Majority Leader of the California Senate.

Bill List

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC

weisner

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Why?
Corbett got schooled on this... when she realized her Congressional dreams may be in jeopardy because of this bill, she shelved it.
Why throw salt in the wound, when she is not actively working against us?

I think the point may be to keep her on the ropes so she knows that CASAA is ready if she changes tac. Like sailing ships politicians are always changing direction, the difference is you can trust a sailing ship.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
As far as I know, it's a dead issue...for now. Might come back this year sometime tho.

IN THEORY I'm supposed to get email if the status changes. You can sign up for a single bill on the California Legislative web site.

But if it comes back with a different bill #, that would be another story.

(SB648 was "tabled" I think which means delayed not killed.)

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
IN THEORY I'm supposed to get email if the status changes. You can sign up for a single bill on the California Legislative web site.

But if it comes back with a different bill #, that would be another story.

(SB648 was "tabled" I think which means delayed not killed.)

I would believe you'd get notification a couple days before any action if NYC and Chicago are any indication of the current ANTZ strrategy of limiting opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread