Status
Not open for further replies.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Impact of advertisements promoting candy-like flavoured e-cigarettes on appeal of tobacco smoking amongst children: an experimental study

Flavoured, compared with non-flavoured, e-cigarette adverts did, however, elicit greater appeal and interest in buying and trying e-cigarettes.

I know this will be spun as damaging evidence that vaping does lure children into a "lifetime habit of nicotine addiction" but really this is very good news. This is what we should want to see actually, imo. Most if not all children will eventually find themselves in a social situation where they are tempted to try smoking because their friends are doing it. If flavored ecigs can steer them away from tobacco that's a win, no matter what any "expert" has to say to the contrary.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Appeal doesn't translate into choice until one has learned the behavior in question.
Of course children like flavors. They would choose a cookie over a saltine but they
have already learned to eat and thus can make discriminating choices.
Who here remembers what their first cigarette was and if you do did you really
care what the brand was?
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
This actually seems to be the important part: " Exposure to either set of adverts did not increase the appeal of tobacco smoking, the appeal of using e-cigarettes, or susceptibility to tobacco smoking. Nor did it reduce the perceived harm of tobacco smoking, which was high."

I didn't try to find the full study, what are they calling non-flavoured e-cigarettes? Are they mistakenly calling tobacco flavor non-flavoured?

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
This actually seems to be the important part: " Exposure to either set of adverts did not increase the appeal of tobacco smoking, the appeal of using e-cigarettes, or susceptibility to tobacco smoking. Nor did it reduce the perceived harm of tobacco smoking, which was high."

I didn't try to find the full study, what are they calling non-flavoured e-cigarettes? Are they mistakenly calling tobacco flavor non-flavoured?
It's interesting to note it really doesn't mater what the children are exposed too.
show them a black and white picture and a brightly colored picture of anything
they will choose the colored picture.
Give them something flavored they would like or,something more bland in
flavor they would choose what they believed to be more flavorful or should
I say more appealing to them.
It doesn't mater what they are comparing the end results would be the same.
They could compare regular bleach to lemon scented bleach. The kids would
choose the lemon scented I believe. That doesn't mean they would drink it.
Test's like these completely discount a child's cognitive skills to the point
you think they were dealing with automatons.
Another classic example of taking obvious facts and coming to the wrong
conclusion.
Regards
Mike

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
It's interesting to note it really doesn't mater what the children are exposed too.
show them a black and white picture and a brightly colored picture of anything
they will choose the colored picture.
Give them something flavored they would like or,something more bland in
flavor they would choose what they believed to be more flavorful or should
I say more appealing to them.
It doesn't mater what they are comparing the end results would be the same.
They could compare regular bleach to lemon scented bleach. The kids would
choose the lemon scented I believe. That doesn't mean they would drink it.
Test's like these completely discount a child's cognitive skills to the point
you think they were dealing with automatons.
Another classic example of taking obvious facts and coming to the wrong
conclusion.
Regards
Mike
Yeah, that's why I was wondering what exactly they meant by non-flavored. Was it just some copy that didn't mention a flavor, or was the difference a logo with/without a bright red cherry on it? The latter will always be more appealing, unless someone doesn't like cherries. It's just human nature.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
As I'm not a Cambridge grad, would somebody please reconcile these two statements for me:

Exposure to either set of adverts did not increase the appeal of tobacco smoking, the appeal of using e-cigarettes, or susceptibility to tobacco smoking. . . .

Flavoured e-cigarette adverts
were, however, more appealing than adverts for non-flavoured e-cigarettes and elicited greater interest in buying and trying e-cigarettes.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
As I'm not a Cambridge grad, would somebody please reconcile these two statements for me:

Exposure to either set of adverts did not increase the appeal of tobacco smoking, the appeal of using e-cigarettes, or susceptibility to tobacco smoking. . . .

were, however, more appealing than adverts for non-flavoured e-cigarettes and elicited greater interest in buying and trying e-cigarettes.

Hmmm. I'd venture to guess... seeing an advertisement for e-cigs is not appealing, unless one is already a smoker looking for a way to quit or cut down; i.e., looking for the *gateway* OUT of smoking. As for flavors... humans like them. Go figure!

Andria

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

I was thinking about that, and this is just a guess, but there was probably a questionnaire at the end, and they probably had separate questions for "do you feel more likely to use e-cigarettes?" And "do you feel more likely to purchase/try e-cigarettes?" Etc.

Also notice that smokers and e-cig users were removed from the study results. Wouldn't want to cloud the results with people who actually use the stuff...

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
Impact of advertisements promoting candy-like flavoured e-cigarettes on appeal of tobacco smoking amongst children: an experimental study

I know this will be spun as damaging evidence that vaping does lure children into a "lifetime habit of nicotine addiction" but really this is very good news. This is what we should want to see actually, imo. Most if not all children will eventually find themselves in a social situation where they are tempted to try smoking because their friends are doing it. If flavored ecigs can steer them away from tobacco that's a win, no matter what any "expert" has to say to the contrary.

The issue with your train of thought is you are using logical thought and are not considering the greed factor. If the children do not become hooked to tobacco the "experts" will have not source of future revenue to fight tobacco. See the less people smoke the less money that would be available for the experts to combat future generations of tobacco users.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
The issue with your train of thought is you are using logical thought and are not considering the greed factor. If the children do not become hooked to tobacco the "experts" will have not source of future revenue to fight tobacco. See the less people smoke the less money that would be available for the experts to combat future generations of tobacco users.

To which I shout a resounding DUH!!!!!!!!!! The less people smoke, the less future generations will need those useless drones!!!!! Make 'em get a REAL job!

Andria

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL

Hmm, think of it as 2 different questions:
1. Would these adverts intice you to purchase?
2. Given these 2 adverts, flavored vs. unflavored, which would you choose?

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Hmm, think of it as 2 different questions:
1. Would these adverts intice you to purchase?
2. Given these 2 adverts, flavored vs. unflavored, which would you choose?
You're probably right. I, for one, am astonished to discover that when asked to choose between an unflavored product and blueberry puff compote, kids would prefer the latter. It's impressive how enlightening these polls are.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa

Studies like this completely discount the known factors that contribute to underage usage of anything.
Number one being peer pressure. Number two being if a parent and or parents practiced the behavior.
All other factors combined might have might total 10% of influences that may contribute to ones choices
with no single one of them being anywhere near 5%.
This is the main reason advertising and flavor restrictions are so popular with the ANTZ. They can pat
themselves on the back for doing a good job knowing that their efforts will not seriously curtail the
activity they so hate and virtually guarantee a fresh supply of new users they can dehumanize.
Regards
Mike

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Studies like this completely discount the known factors that contribute to underage usage of anything.
Number one being peer pressure. Number two being if a parent and or parents practiced the behavior.
All other factors combined might have might total 10% of influences that may contribute to ones choices
with no single one of them being anywhere near 5%.
This is the main reason advertising and flavor restrictions are so popular with the ANTZ. They can pat
themselves on the back for doing a good job knowing that their efforts will not seriously curtail the
activity they so hate and virtually guarantee a fresh supply of new users they can dehumanize.
Regards
Mike

So very true, and that 2nd part -- about parents who smoke -- makes it all the more likely that once a kid experiments with smoking (because of peer pressure), they will continue to smoke; I always hated the smell of cigarette smoke, especially in the car... but after I had smoked for a week or two, I realized that my parents' smoke didn't bother me anymore. I even asked my mom why that wasn't a dead giveaway to her, about my smoking, the sudden lack of whining and complaining anytime we were in the car. She just shrugged -- a perfect example of a parent not paying attention. Which I already knew, even at that age.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread