Possibly the Most Dishonest Anti-Vaping Screed of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
I don't think I'm done with Mr. Allan yet. His response is such a breathtaking feat of fallacy that it deserves to be parsed on a line-by-line basis.

Please allow me to provide some perspective on my comments.

TRANSLATION: "Please pardon me while I move the goalposts to the other side of the field, and feebly attempt to distract you from the fact that I'm not even attempting to substantiate any of my original statements."

Without a doubt, tobacco is a major killer in the United States, with 480,00 fatalities a year in the United States

TRANSLATION: "I do not understand the difference between 'tobacco' and 'cigarette smoking.' I also don't understand the difference between 'tobacco' and 'nicotine.' That's why the citizens of Cuyahoga County can count on me for sensible, science-based public health policy."

As I mentioned in my statement, Ohio's Smokefree Law, which I personally worked hard to help pass, has reduced emergency department mean total percentage of admissions for heart attacks by almost 30% statewide, post ban, among other compounding benefits.

TRANSLATION: "Remember kids, correlation always equals causation."

This is the gift that keeps on giving, in terms of public health impact.

TRANSLATION: "You don't mind if I take a moment to feverishly pat myself on the back, do you?"

Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) that utilizes a patches, gum or other proven methods of cessation therapy have been shown to be an effective means of helping people to break nicotine addiction.

TRANSLATION: "Pfizer just bought me a new Mercedes."

According to the CDC, the most effective state and community interventions are those in which specific strategies for promoting tobacco use cessation, preventing tobacco use initiation, and eliminating exposure to secondhand smoke are combined with mass-reach health communication interventions and other initiatives to mobilize communities and to integrate these strategies into synergistic and multicomponent efforts.

TRANSLATION: "I just spewed out a bunch of big words which I combined into meaningless, nonsensical phrases. You may stand in awe of my intellectual erudition now."

Ohio examples include the comprehensive smokefree law, counter marketing, peer-to-peer education, and vendor compliance checks to stop sales to minors, among others.

TRANSLATION: "Every time someone quits smoking in Ohio, or doesn't start in the first place, it's because of me. Why? Because I'm awesome."

We will continue to protect our kids by advocating for comprehensive policies and programs that combat nicotine addiction and tobacco use initiation, in keeping with state and national public health policy.

TRANSLATION: "Look buddy, I'm just trying to protect teh childrins. Clearly, you want them all to start smoking."

Last edited:

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Vaping terminology...

Desk Murderers - APPROVED
Satan Glantz - APPROVED
TrANTZlation - APPROVED

I'll see if we can get those added to the ECF glossary ;)

You should probably inform Mr. Allan about that.

Yes, and please share his response with us!

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
<...>
Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) that utilizes a patches, gum or other proven methods of cessation therapy have been shown to be an effective means of helping people to break nicotine addiction.

TRANSLATION: "Pfizer just bought me a new Mercedes."
<...>

Love it. Nate, please send to Mr. Allan! :D

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
All of a sudden tonight all of my comments are there. I wonder why cleveland.com delayed the postings.

Post #2 also sent as an email.
The Surgeon General did issue a warning way back in 1964 stating that smoking is harmful to your health… In 2004 an inventor in China invented the electronic cigarette because his father had lung cancer from SMOKING.The 1964 warning issued by the Surgeon General had nothing to do with the Electronic Cigarette since in had not been invented yet.So this correlation is incorrect.

Since 2009 the FDA has been working to remove e-cigarettes from the market through some unlawful tactics such as illegal censure of shipments coming into America.The courts found that the FDA had no authority to stop the shipments and allowed the market to bloom as long as they did not make health related claims such as being safer than tobacco cigarettes or as a quitting tool.The FDA proposed regulations not to protect our youth but to control the marketing of the devices.This first step is to Deem a product that does not contain tobacco as a tobacco product.This is in order to combat a threat to public heath funding.

Advertising, online sales, and use of e-cigarettes in public places promotes the replacement of deadly tobacco products in our society with a safer alternative product. Unfortunately, we are already seeing evidence that damage has been done by the so called public health establishment and their twisting and misrepresentation of data and outright lies.

For example the Press release from the CDC's National Youth Tobacco Survey incorrectly inferred that the percentage of U.S. middle and high school students who use e-cigarettes more than doubled from 2011 to 2012. If you read the actual report, you discover that the CDC defines a "user" to include someone who has tried an e-cigarette ONE TIME. So they survey a group of kids in 2011 and, behold, 2% tried an e-cig at least one time. They may have never touched one again. Then they come back the next year and ask the same question: Have you ever used and e-cig? The same 2% who answered "yes" the first time say "yes" again, even if they haven't touched one for a year. Another 2% have tried an e-cig at least once, so they also answer "yes." The rate of experimentation remains exactly the same, yet the CDC claims a doubling. They make no attempt to quantify regular users. Furthermore, they don't reveal how many smokers of real cigarettes tried e-cigarettes as an alternative. Regardless of age, e-cigarette usage is rarely something that people do with regularity if they aren't current or former smokers.

The dangers of smoking are real no one will disagree with this but I would rather my daughter or son use an e-cigarette than a tobacco cigarette.Ohio and many other states have already passed laws controlling sales to minors.There have been studies showing that once the nicotine is removed from the tobacco smoke that it is no more additive than caffeine.E-cigarettes do just this, they use diluted pharmaceutical grade nicotine in a solution of propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and flavorings thus removing the tar and other chemicals that reinforce the addition to nicotine.Many people that use e-cigarettes do not use nicotine in their solutions.I have not used nicotine in over 6 months and found that I did not miss it once I quit using it.I still use a e-cigarette due to the physical habit but with no nicotine.This is where the FDA approved patches, gums, pills fail.I have tried to quit before with the patch and gum but the physical habit brought me back each time.

I do not want to talk about the one sided, lack of scientific method, crap that came out of the US Senate regarding the flavors used in e-cigarettes.I just want to ask you since you are over 30 if you like to eat cupcakes? Candy?When I first started using a e-cigarette I looked for a tobacco flavor.Once my taste buds started growing back and my smell came back the last thing I wanted was tobacco flavors.If I did not find a flavor that I liked I may have went back to tobacco.Switching flavors throughout the days and weeks that followed kept me from going back to tobacco.The flavors is what kept me off tobacco for the first months.Adults like flavors!Do you think that flavored vodka is attracting kids? How about condoms? Both of these exist yet we do not see reports from the US Senate about them.

Studies about the emissions have shown that there is no worry about emissions from second hand vapor.I will provide links to peer reviewed studies and the conclusions for you.

Secondhand Exposure to Vapors From Electronic Cigarettes
http://ntr.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/12/10/ntr.ntt203.short

Peering through the mist: systematic review of what the chemistry of contaminants in electronic cigarettes tells us about health risks.http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/14/18/
Public health has been a champion of e-cigarette misguided attempts at regulation in the absence of FDA action, focusing on spreading of junk science and a misinformation campaign to protect their jobs and to continue the collection of tobacco taxes and prevent the collapse of the Master Tobacco Settlement Agreement bonds that each state has sold. By proposing regulations that clam that is to protect children. Major cities such as Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Seattle have already banned e-cigarettes in places where cigarettes aren't allowed because they are short sighted, and the people making the regulations have other interests in mind other than the public good.

Studies say e-cigarettes are the best alternative to quitting, science does support that claim.

Effectiveness of the Electronic Cigarette: An Eight-Week Flemish Study with Six-Month Follow-up on Smoking Reduction, Craving and Experienced Benefits and Complaints http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/11/11/11220
When you propose regulations please research and use science to guide you not because one thing looks like another or it renormalizes something.Just think that water looks like vodka, powdered sugar looks like coke, parsley looks like pot, etc…

Post #1 also sent as an email.
... After two months, we observed that 34% of the e-cig groups had stopped smoking tobacco cigarettes, versus 0% of the control group. After five months, the e-cig groups demonstrated a total quit-rate of 37%, whereas the control group showed a quit rate of 38% three months after initiating e-cig use. At the end of the eight-month study, 19% of the e-cig groups and 25% of the control group were totally abstinent from smoking, while an overall reduction of 60% in the number of cigarettes smoked per day was observed (compared to intake) Remarkable (>50 pc) eight-month reductions in, or complete abstinence from tobacco smoking was achieved with the e-cig in almost half (44%) of the participants.

http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/11/11/11220

At follow-up, 23% were intensive users, 29% intermittent users, 18% had used once or twice, and 30% had not tried e-cigarettes. Logistic regression controlling for demographics and tobacco dependence indicated that intensive users of e-cigarettes were 6 times as likely as non-users/triers to report that they quit smoking (OR: 6.07, 95% CI = 1.11, 33.2). No such relationship was seen for intermittent users. There was a negative association between intermittent e-cigarette use and one of two indicators of motivation to quit at follow-up.

CONCLUSIONS: Daily use of electronic cigarettes for at least 1 month is strongly associated with quitting smoking at follow up. Further investigation of the underlying reasons for intensive versus intermittent use will help shed light on the mechanisms underlying the associations between e-cigarette use, motivation to quit and smoking cessation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25301815/

One of the most respected researchers in the field, Dr. Paul Newhouse, Director of Vanderbilt University’s Center for Cognitive Medicine, argues that nicotine “seems very safe even in nonsmokers. In our studies we find it actually reduces blood pressure chronically. And there were no addiction or withdrawal problems, and nobody started smoking cigarettes. The risk of addiction to nicotine alone is virtually nil.” Tobacco has also been considered harmful because it is highly addictive, but whether nicotine has the same addictive potential remains unclear. According to Dr. Newhouse, “nicotine by itself isn’t very addictive at all… [it] seems to require assistance from other substances found in tobacco to get people hooked.”

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/10/nicotine-are-we-wrong.html

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
{...}

This first step is to Deem a product that does not contain tobacco as a tobacco product.

{...}

Isn't this EXACTLY like deeming a totally naked emperor to be beautifully dressed??

You said a lot of really excellent things, but this was one that jumped out at me, and has been jumping out at me ever since I first read rolygate's blog back in January.

:facepalm:

Have NONE of these people REALLY never read The Emperor's New Clothes?????? How is that possible??????

:facepalm:

Andria

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
Yet another email to Mr Allan.

Mr. Allan, I have sent you emails over the past few days about e-cigarettes due to the article that was posted on Cleveland.com where you cited much of the junk science, twisted facts, and outright lies that are being used to ban the use of e-cigarettes in many areas. Today is a piece written by the Hartland Institute that contains much information about e-cigarettes and the good that they could do. Please consume the information presented and you may just change your opinions on the subject. I will keep emailing you data as time goes by so you can be better informed before you make a fool of your self again.

Research & Commentary: E-Cigarette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread