Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
idaho
Good Afternoon fellow ECF members,

I have been trying to find some posts that explain the Ohm, volt, amp, watt conversions. (or whatever it's called) I have been using a VV box at 5.7Volts with a DC 2.0 Carto. It periodically shuts down on me. I am trying to find some info that will explain optimal volts for ohms and how that converts to watts.

I am pretty ignorant about all this stuff so I am hoping I am explaining what I am looking for in the correct way.

Thanks!!

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
CMIIW but I think your problem lies with the amps you are trying to run. At 5.7V with a 2.0 ohm carto, you are running 2.85 amps. The VV APV you are running may only be capable of running 2 or 2.5 amps, so when it reaches that threshold, it shuts off to avoid damage.

/me waits to see what others say.....

*Edit* I'm not sure if the carto being DC has anything to do with it either, as it is technically two coils running in parallel at 4 ohms each. Again, I wonder what the gurus will say....

Last edited:

alamor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
idaho
Thanks for the info guys!!

If any guru's read this could you possibly tell me what Volt would be the best to vape at without the problem occuring. Again, I am using a Smoketek VV Varicool box mod with 2.0ohm DC Cartos. I really like the TH and vapor production at 5.7 but oviously that is to much for my box. Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions!!

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Thanks for the info guys!!

If any guru's read this could you possibly tell me what Volt would be the best to vape at without the problem occuring. Again, I am using a Smoketek VV Varicool box mod with 2.0ohm DC Cartos. I really like the TH and vapor production at 5.7 but oviously that is to much for my box. Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions!!

In that case, the amperage is not the problem, as the Varicool has a 3 amp limit.

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
Just re reading your post. Im only ohm kindergarten myself, so I avoid the calculations. But I do know that some VV devices can't handle 2.0 ohm cartos, they can short or shut off if the volts go too high. It's best to go to a 2.8-3.0 ohm Carto on VV devices. :) Believe me the vape is just as good with out the fussing.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Just saw this post in another thread that might help....

The SmokTek VariCool uses the 3 amp version of that regulator. It should power 1.5 ohm DC but not at higher voltages. If it's set to high that could be the reason it's not firing. If you want to use DC at 6v or close to it there are modders in the supplier forum that will use the 6 amp version of that chip which will fire a 1.5 ohm DC with no problem.

Also if you're using protected batteries the protection is probably kicking in with DC. If you're going to run dual core you need to be using high drain IMR batteries, I'd suggest AW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread