Can EJuice Go Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
Canada
I received my second ever order yesterday. Reading about the vapor production I had ordered some VG juice along with some VG/PG juice to give it a try.

I have only used PG juice up to this point and I knew that there would be some differences.

The VG juice is supposed to be apple flavor. When I opened the bottle it sure didn't smell like apples - it smelled bad - almost like burnt toast but not sweet smelling, very acrid. I thought what the hell, maybe it tastes better than it smells. :confused:

I filled a new cartridge and put it in a clean atty. With the first draw I knew something was really wrong - my mouth felt coated and slimy and so did my lungs - the taste was like satan pooped in my mouth - there was no apple flavor at all. I took another but it was worse.

I had to wash everything out - the smell began to make me nauseous.

Can VG juice go bad? The VG/PG juice seems to be okay and I have not had this problem with the PG juice I have. Or is it the flavor gone bad?

So now I'm wondering - do I contact the supplier and let him know about this? Or do I just chalk this up to experience and get stuck with 2 bottles of this stuff?

I am so disappointed - I so wanted to try the apple flavor so so badly.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Juice can go bad, under a couple circumstances.

1. Time. After a couple years, it will go bad. But that's not it, since you just got it.

2. Heat. Sometimes when shipping to hot places, it can spoil. But you're in Canada. I'm pretty sure it's not that either. ;)

So, there's a couple things to consider.

Does this supplier mix it fresh, when you order? If they do, let it sit with the cap off overnight (if you have kids or pets, keep it out of reach). Then re-cap it, and let it sit for another week, and try it again. Sometimes steeping makes a BIG difference. Although honestly, with what you describe... I'm not sure steeping will help. But just for future reference.

If they don't mix it to-order, then it's just badly made.

Either way, contact the supplier now, and tell them what's up. Ask them if they mix fresh. Be sure they know you're having problems now.

phorbin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
Gamehendge
What goes bad in ejuice? The PG, VG, nic, flavorings? Inquiring minds etc.etc. TIA

apparently the nicotine will start to break down after a certain time (i've heard 1 year, i've heard 2, not sure on this one)...exposure to warm temps, or prolonged exposure to light also can break down the nicotine.

191ahc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2010
Berkeley, CA
apparently the nicotine will start to break down after a certain time (i've heard 1 year, i've heard 2, not sure on this one)...exposure to warm temps, or prolonged exposure to light also can break down the nicotine.

OK, many thanks. I had heard 2 years from date of purchase from a few makers. There are threads here on keeping it cool, dry and dark and not refrigerated.

David Bruno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2009
Iron Mountain , Michigan
I have some bottles of juice that I bought two years ago. I purchased quite a bit of juice when everyone thought the government was gonna stop the supply. One of the brands was from China. Heavens gifts 36 mg Camel. I opened a bottle a few weeks back when my Cash Tab supply was stopped. It tasted just like the other bottles did when I bought them. The juice isn't very good by today's standards as my tastes have changed, but they haven't turned bad. I keep them in a heated basement. I don't keep the basement at the same heat I keep upstairs, but would say it stays at least 60 to 75 year round. I have my juices in a low light area. I think room condition plays a big part in keeping juice good. I also had hundreds of pounds of pipe tobaccos kept in mason jars, aging in the basement as well. Dry conditioned basements are a great place to store perishable items. I sold the pipe tobacco at a pretty high profit a year ago since I quit smoking. Pipe tobacco is like wine, gets better with age.

David Bruno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2009
Iron Mountain , Michigan
David,
Thanks...BTW I have about 15# of pipe tobacco in mason jars that I might as well sell too, they are about 10-15 years old-- mostly C&D stuff. The unsmoked pipe collection might as well go too. LOL Thanks again.

C&D made some pretty good blends. I had many Dunhill blends which really get good. I sold many of my 250 pipes on Ebay. You would be surprised on how much they can sell for. Take a few pics and post them. Pay Pal makes it easy to collect. Good Luck!

cruisedoc

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2009
Ocean Isle Beach, NC
In a cool dark place, I would estimate 1-2 years, although I suspect 3-4 would be on the outside. JC recommends 6 mos. or 8 mos. if refridgerated. Yes, they rec refridgeration, and they are a pretty big supplier. A pro company with pro lab. I cannot see the harm to refridgeration. I'm a doc & keep all of my drugs in a fridge, and drug mfgs. recommend it. Keep my juice in a mini-fridge at home, but not too cold ...at the higher end of refridgeration temp.

Noctoru

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2010
Florida
In a cool dark place, I would estimate 1-2 years, although I suspect 3-4 would be on the outside. JC recommends 6 mos. or 8 mos. if refridgerated. Yes, they rec refridgeration, and they are a pretty big supplier. A pro company with pro lab. I cannot see the harm to refridgeration. I'm a doc & keep all of my drugs in a fridge, and drug mfgs. recommend it. Keep my juice in a mini-fridge at home, but not too cold ...at the higher end of refridgeration temp.

Sorry Doc, but I had to. :p

Refrigerator*

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
If you read on some of the flavoring sites they say flavorings have a shelf life of around 6 months. I've had flavorings go bad and they can taste/smell like anything from vinegar to PineSol. It's possible the flavoring in your mix wasn't fresh when the supplier made it. I don't understand how vendors can say they last 1-2 years! Nicotine, PG and VG can but not the flavorings! Definitely contact them and let us know what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread