Can Essential Oils Be Used for Flavoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
I'm just wondering if essential oils can be used for flavoring e-liquid? I seem to remember that oils weren't good for vaping, but I also thought that lorann flavorings were candy oils, aren't they?

If oils aren't good to use, is there way to extract the flavor from an oil into something that would be okay to vape?

EDIT: I misspelled "essential" when I first searched, so there are actual a couple of threads on this, but they still don't give me answers about my second and third question.

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I'm just wondering if essential oils can be used for flavoring e-liquid? I seem to remember that oils weren't good for vaping, but I also thought that lorann flavorings were candy oils, aren't they?

If oils aren't good to use, is there way to extract the flavor from an oil into something that would be okay to vape?

D--They answer to that is an Unequivocal No--Lorann trade name for their products is "oils"--but the flavors we us have no oil in them--hope that helps--Sun

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
I found a thread, I just saw that I misspelled "essential" when I first searched, I left out an "s."

In this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/4338-essential-oils.html
Janet says that she just uses a tiny bit (the residue left on a toothpick from dipping it in the liquid) to flavor her liquid, because the essential oils are so strong anyway, and she says that she hasn't had any problems with her atomizer.

I'd like to hear some more recent opinions though if anyone has tried it recently..

And I would especially like to know if there are any methods to extract the flavor from an oil to a more suitable aqueous solution.

There's this thread too, I'm looking through it now:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/1984-flavoring-essential-oils.html

Last edited:

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
If the oil is pure and not in a base oil that is toxic (unlikely) so that only a tiny amount is needed and the original source is not poisonous and it is declared safe for making up a massage oil say, then there should be no problem. After all, they are supposedly natural products and are often used in aromatherapy. It is their intrinsic strength that gives rise to the warnings, but used sparingly i think most would be harmless.

Indeed, plant oils are chemically related to glycerol - esters and glycerides. Better to use pure lemon oil, say, than a flavouring where the natural oil is diluted in vegetable oil, because one would need just a tiny amount.

I have used small amounts of 'oils' in my mix without any noticeable problems to the atomiser.

Last edited:

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
If the oil is pure and not in a base oil that is toxic (unlikely) so that only a tiny amount is needed and the original source is not poisonous and it is declared safe for making up a massage oil say, then there should be no problem. After all, they are supposedly natural products and are often used in aromatherapy. It is their intrinsic strength that gives rise to the warnings, but used sparingly i think most would be harmless.

Indeed, plant oils are chemically related to glycerol - esters and glycerides. Better to use pure lemon oil, say, than a flavouring where the natural oil is diluted in vegetable oil, because one would need just a tiny amount.

I have used small amounts of 'oils' in my mix without any noticeable problems to the atomiser.

The essential oils I was considering using would be purchased from a company which produces and uses the essential oils to flavor their candy. So yes, I'm sure it's fine for internal use.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I've had three failures trying to use essential oils. They have a way of killing vapor in a big way, and don't pass the flavor/smell test very well. Usually you end up with something that just smells good. Example is for "oils" for flavoring coffee, tea, etc. are usually not effective in vapor, even though they're fine for consumption.
It's best I've found to stick with the extracts, and watch the ingredient list very closely.
Too much sugar will clog attys, too many solids will clog attys, etc.
Main thing with experimenting is to do no harm. When in doubt, don't. Buy from a tried and true source, wasting money and time and endangering safety not recommended.

ShinKun

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
I have been looking into this as well.. I guess it depends on what exactly you are looking for... but, some tinctures are available that are VG based. From what I can tell the herbal goodieness is extracted with alcohol then the alc is evaporated, then the rest get mixed into VG.

There are even kits that you can buy that come with jars filled with herbal mixtures then you can add Vodka or VG as the extractor but the ready made might be a good place to start.

I am going to try and find some locally and will let you know how it works out.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Sun, you are definitely right.
I have a sneaky feeling that "Virginia" is a little vague and not specifically available in concentrated form as an absolute. However I think the "blond" absolute touches on it pretty closely, although I have no way to verify the species (it's listed as scientific name nicotiana tobacum family Solanaceae), since it's the manner of harvesting/curing that makes a true Virginia essence, as well as the species grown. The original "Virginia" from the 1800s' was a seed from a species known as "Bright Leaf". The leaves were very light golden color befor curing, and it was sought after for making a good blend with a burley for pipe tobacco. It was grown in one region of Virginia, hence the name.
It was either sun cured or smokehouse cured with heat. Have been trying to find back an article that I stupidly forgot to bookmark. I must have dreamed it, because now is nowhere to be found!! Was probably in a link from something else, it was I believe in a seed company's literature. Shoot, wish I didn't have to work for a living. Takes up so much of my time....anyway, here is one source for plants, but in the pic on the right you can see how light-colored the leaves at the bottom of the plant are nearly white.
I just got a new bottle of Nicotiana Rustica this morning, just had to open it!! I just love smelling it, it is heavenly.

Last edited:

providencewouldhaveit

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas
I use cinnamon cassia essential oil and vape all the time. I think it actually helps my lungs. I know when I chew peppermint gum it seems to slightly constrict my breathing and when I chew Big Red gum (which contain cinnamon cassia eo) it seems to make breathing easier & singing. Peppermint eo is a vasoconstrictor and cassia is a vasodialator. You can over due anything but I think essential oils are safer than artificial flavorings. Just to be clear nicotine in our nic juice is an essential oil of sorts. It is produced by steam distilation and filter through charcoal and the end result is an oily substance. Tobacco absolute also contains the volitile oils of tobacco (that's where the scent/flavor comes from) I'm pretty sure that the flavor oils are at least part essential oil. Aroma therapy is the inhalation of essential oils!!!!!!!! Please would somebody who keeps claiming essential oils can not be vaped do a little study in aroma therapy.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I use cinnamon cassia essential oil and vape all the time. I think it actually helps my lungs. I know when I chew peppermint gum it seems to slightly constrict my breathing and when I chew Big Red gum (which contain cinnamon cassia eo) it seems to make breathing easier & singing. Peppermint eo is a vasoconstrictor and cassia is a vasodialator. You can over due anything but I think essential oils are safer than artificial flavorings. Just to be clear nicotine in our nic juice is an essential oil of sorts. It is produced by steam distilation and filter through charcoal and the end result is an oily substance. Tobacco absolute also contains the volitile oils of tobacco (that's where the scent/flavor comes from) I'm pretty sure that the flavor oils are at least part essential oil. Aroma therapy is the inhalation of essential oils!!!!!!!! Please would somebody who keeps claiming essential oils can not be vaped do a little study in aroma therapy.

I am considering cinnamon essential oil and perhaps a couple more food grade essential oils.
Any body vaping these?

SuziesMom

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
NY
I just vaped a little cinnamon EO. Still alive :)
You do have to be cautious with EO's because some of them are toxic. There are edible grades, and so called therapeutic grades- so be sure you're getting the right kind.

My take on it is this: we're the guinea pigs- whether it's FA vanilla or peppermint EO- they've done no studies on the safety of vaping any of this stuff.

So, I do a little bit of essential oil in some of my juices. I'd say the food ones- cinnamon, peppermint, orange, lemon are probably safe if you proceed with caution. Pretty much all menthol is derived from peppermint anyway.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I just looked at a popular e liq supplier.
They sell Lorann Cinnamon oil.
I bet they use it in their premixed juice as well.
I bet many people are vaping the oils and don't even know.
Other people breath the oils in aroma therapy; perhaps lower concentration but they do inhale.
Nicotine is toxic at a much lower concentration than the most toxic EO compound on wiki.
I plan to proceed w/ great caution and use extremely low concentrations of the LO cinnamon oil.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I've been playing w/ some LO Candy Oils.
To avoid funky undertones it is important to keep atty wet.
I look at coil often to verify it is not glowing red and burning the juice.
My M401 (less atty bridge) will vape 7 toots (from 2 drops) w/o risk of burning juice.

First batch (normal strength):
LO Peppermint natural oil produces intense clean peppermint experience.
LO Spearmint natural oil produces unmistakable spearmint flavor w/ some unfamiliar undertones.
LO Cinnamon oil is good but produces some undertones and is weaker than I expected.

These are fun to play with.
I think the jury is still out about the safety of vaping oil flavorings.
I vape atomic strength extracted oil like cigar; no inhale for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread