Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
Wintergreen is a big-time favorite of mine though when a buddy of mine asked me if Wintergreen Essential Oil is safe to vape in a DIY juice, I couldn't give him a straight answer. I'm hoping someone with a little more experience can provide me with a little assistance :).

1). Wintergreen Oil contains methyl salicylate at near 98-99%, which can be toxic. It's used for pain and various other ailments, though it's normally used topically and in aromatherapy (where you're not directly inhaling it).

2). 1 oz of Wintergreen Essential Oil (about 30 ml) is the equivalent of ~171 Aspirins. Needless to say, I know not to mix at those levels as that much could and would most likely kill you.

3). I know it's used in chewing gum, toothpaste etc. But I'm not too sure on how diluted it is. It is a very strong oil, so dilution would most likely fall around 1-2% per 5-10 ml of juice, which would come out to about 1-2 aspirins worth of methyl salicylate per 5-10 ml. Of course, .5-.75% may also be workable, depending on how strong and pure the essential oil is.

The oil I have is clearly labeled not for consumption (and 99.99% of the Wintergreen oil out there is as well), but at the same time, it has been used for years and consumed.

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
I figured as much, though there are recipes that call for and use it, and I'm trying to find him something he can use as a replacement. It's great for aromatherapy and pain relief, I use it for that, but I've always been told the same when it comes to actually inhaling it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

DustyZ

Suspended
Jul 5, 2013
Ocala, FL, USA
Vaping any type of Pure Essential Oils is not advisable! Essential Oils contain quite a large number of chemicals while safe to use on your skin AFTER being cut with a carrier oil such at Grapeseed, Jojoba, Almond etc that one a few drops of the oil are added to make massage oils, put a few drops in a large amount of water. NEVER, NEVER vape Pure Essential Oils, EVER!

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
Vaping any type of Pure Essential Oils is not advisable! Essential Oils contain quite a large number of chemicals while safe to use on your skin AFTER being cut with a carrier oil such at Grapeseed, Jojoba, Almond etc that one a few drops of the oil are added to make massage oils, put a few drops in a large amount of water. NEVER, NEVER vape Pure Essential Oils, EVER!

Oh no, I wasn't advising that he vape the oil straight :) (or at all for that matter) - that'd be one concentrated dose and he'd probably fall over doing it, best case, land in the hospital (and neither are a joking matter, of course). Being that I only use them for topical applications, I wasn't sure if cutting it at 1-2% per 5-10 ml bottle would render it more so safe, or still fall into the "don't do it" category.

DustyZ

Suspended
Jul 5, 2013
Ocala, FL, USA
Oh no, I wasn't advising that he vape the oil straight :) (or at all for that matter) - that'd be one concentrated dose and he'd probably fall over doing it, best case, land in the hospital (and neither are a joking matter, of course). Being that I only use them for topical applications, I wasn't sure if cutting it at 1-2% per 5-10 ml bottle would render it more so safe, or still fall into the "don't do it" category.

This would fall into the don't do it catagory. I have been dealing with Pure Uncut Essential Oils for a very long time and love them for many purposes but definitely not for vaping, they are just too concentrated and contain many compounds and chemicals in them that depending on the oil could cause serious harm or worse, you would need a very indepth knowledge of each component and how they act and react to the body, and another factor is that these oils come from many different sources so you are never 100% sure of extraction methods used on them, unless you are a importer or supplier and get the Chromatography report along with Spectrometry reports, when I was importing them it was vital to me to make sure these were available as I would want to make sure that what I sold and used was a pure as possible. There are some oils that are just down right deadly if not used correctly. Wintergreen being one of the DO NOT VAPE or Ingest categories!

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
Thanks DustyZ - definitely appreciate the information. I keep some around for topical use myself and cut it down with grape seed or jojoba. Works wonders for me, but the idea to put it into juice never crossed my mind until I was asked. I'll relay that information and if the flavoring was on my order list from TFA, I'll share it and pass the site over to him so he can grab some if he likes it.

Glad to see someone else into essential oils. I've not been using them for an extended period of time (hence this question :)), but I've found they do tend to ease quite a few ailments without the use of traditional OTC medication (which I try to avoid like the plague).

DustyZ

Suspended
Jul 5, 2013
Ocala, FL, USA
Thanks DustyZ - definitely appreciate the information. I keep some around for topical use myself and cut it down with grape seed or jojoba. Works wonders for me, but the idea to put it into juice never crossed my mind until I was asked. I'll relay that information and if the flavoring was on my order list from TFA, I'll share it and pass the site over to him so he can grab some if he likes it.

Glad to see someone else into essential oils. I've not been using them for an extended period of time (hence this question :)), but I've found they do tend to ease quite a few ailments without the use of traditional OTC medication (which I try to avoid like the plague).

You're more than welcome! There are actually a few of us on here that know about them, well, I should say you are the forth one I have met! Always good to see someone else that use aromatherapy that helps in quite a few ways then always turning to the OTC stuff, that's where it all began anyway so no need to reinvent a wheel that still spins around in a good way! :toast:

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
You're more than welcome! There are actually a few of us on here that know about them, well, I should say you are the forth one I have met! Always good to see someone else that use aromatherapy that helps in quite a few ways then always turning to the OTC stuff, that's where it all began anyway so no need to reinvent a wheel that still spins around in a good way! :toast:

I've been into it for a while, though more so after a back and knee injury a few years back. Pain medication doesn't have the sedating and pain relieving effects on me as it does most, rather, they boost me up as if I was shot up with caffeine (up to morphine as a drip IV).

Anything I can do to prevent that, with a more natural replacement, I'm game for :). I've never liked taking OTC or prescribed meds in the first place, but didn't have much option until I did some reading and was introduced to someone locally who gave me a few "recipes" for common ailments.

@jgoss - I actually have Teaberry & Wintergreen from LA on order. We're actually looking to replicate a taste, hence the need for it. I've had the gum, and if I think back, it may actually work as it's pretty darn close. I guess I'll get to test it out when Wizard Labs sends me a confirmation of shipment. I don't think they do anything over the weekend, which is a bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread