Can I bum a.......wick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
What if anything have people bummed off of you while out in public when it comes to Vape. To me, it rarely happens when someone needs something.

I was at a local vape shop with my wife, and she was looking at juices. This cute girl comes in with her stuff all busted asking the employee there to help her fix or salvage anything she can. Basically a busted up Alien kit that she accidentally dropped from her apartment balcony. Anyways the only salvageable thing was the drip tip. She sees me vaping and looking at the juice menu, and she comes up to ask me if she can take a couple hits from my vape because she hasn't had a vape since the previous night before she broke her mod. She added that she "even had her own drip tip". We laughed and I let her hit my mod a few times while she shopped for a new one.

But the strangest thing was a guy asking if he could bum a wick. Yeah, he burnt his cotton and he admitted he was stupid about it. Surprisingly I had my tiny bag of vape stuff. Usually it is a couple spare batteries in a plastic case and a spare tank and a couple unicorn bottles of juice. But luckily I started putting those baggies of cotton that they give you when you buy a new tank. So I gave him one of the baggies and told him good luck, because I didn't have scissors or tweezers. I watched him build possibly the ugliest looking wick, but it worked.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
What if anything have people bummed off of you while out in public when it comes to Vape. To me, it rarely happens when someone needs something.

I was at a local vape shop with my wife, and she was looking at juices. This cute girl comes in with her stuff all busted asking the employee there to help her fix or salvage anything she can. Basically a busted up Alien kit that she accidentally dropped from her apartment balcony. Anyways the only salvageable thing was the drip tip. She sees me vaping and looking at the juice menu, and she comes up to ask me if she can take a couple hits from my vape because she hasn't had a vape since the previous night before she broke her mod. She added that she "even had her own drip tip". We laughed and I let her hit my mod a few times while she shopped for a new one.

But the strangest thing was a guy asking if he could bum a wick. Yeah, he burnt his cotton and he admitted he was stupid about it. Surprisingly I had my tiny bag of vape stuff. Usually it is a couple spare batteries in a plastic case and a spare tank and a couple unicorn bottles of juice. But luckily I started putting those baggies of cotton that they give you when you buy a new tank. So I gave him one of the baggies and told him good luck, because I didn't have scissors or tweezers. I watched him build possibly the ugliest looking wick, but it worked.

Good thing there's people such as yourself that are so prepared! After reading your post, I'm going to add some wick to my on the go bag!

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
She sees me vaping and looking at the juice menu, and she comes up to ask me if she can take a couple hits from my vape
A few years ago, I stop in a vape shop and needed some cotton to replace my wick. The counter girl saw my REO and wanted to try it, i said "sure". she put on one of them drip tip rubbers and took a big hit and the look on her face. I forgot to tell her I had 18mg in the squonk bottle. When she got through gagging she said she vapes 2mg. It still makes me laugh to think about it.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I worked at a place for a very short time about a year back and was pretty friendly with another guy who hired in with me and vaped. He used to work at a shop, knew his stuff, was a "seasoned" vaper of a few years...

...and man, was he bad at it. Literally every day I'd be getting asked if I had any fresh 18650s (even tried to coax me into unmarrying my parallel batteries once; "ahh, come on, you run a low build, just run it with one battery!"), cotton, wire, drip tips, juice, you name it.

It would have been frustrating if it wasn't so damn hysterical - dude was a nice guy but a trainwreck in terms of organized thinking.

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
I don't have anything on me to bum. Personally I hate carrying around extra stuff on me (juice,batteries, etc.)
But, I always have a small back up device on me. A super tiny Ego One mini. If anything goes wrong with my primary device when I'm out the Ego will take care of me till I get home.

So if anyone asked to bum something from me.... the only thing I can give them is a lesson on the importance of having a back up device. :2c: ;)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I've never had anyone "bum" from me.

My sil (actually both of them) and I are forever tasting one another's juice.. and I am forever buying one of their juice because she hates buying online and there is so much for her to try I just buy for her too. If she gives me money fine if not fine, I don't buy anything I can't afford. I also bought her her first kit.. but she didn't ask for it.. I just got it.

I've given a small bottle of juice or two out at my husband's work, but usually only when I was selling a tank..

Other than that no bums.. I gave my son an ohm meter, cotton, a mod, tanks, batteries and battery cases and a charger as well as a mod shield (actually two of those).. I've also given him juice, I'm not exactly sure how much he purchases for himself.. but I don't think you can consider that anything other than gifts, he's never asked for any of it.. lol.. well, once he did ask me to buy him some watermelon pop rocks e juice... but it was more a convenience thing..

Let's see.. hubby.. he stole my favorite provari with a kabuki tank.. lol.. he didn't ask just took it over.. but we do happen to be married and some day I might stop complaining, since I'd much rather him vape than smoke.. hahaha

But nah.. I seem to give so much away that I never find anyone actually asking me for anything..

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
just juice. I don't see very many vapers in my area, so I carry around a little 15ml bottle of my ADV I make. anytime I see a vaper "in the wild" I (not so) subtlety start a conversation...and force my juice on them to give me feedback. lol.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
I know I've given done anything from rebuilding someone's atty to giving out full kits over the years, but the only time I remember being asked for something was when they got a wiff of the juice I was vaping and wanted to try a bit of it.

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Well I had to bum my friend's vape last weekend....

I was at a wedding last weekend and well, I had to bum my friend's vape off him. We were both part of the wedding party and with everything that was going on, taking pictures, the ceremony, taking more pictures, relocating for pictures, etc, I forgot it in my car when I came home to drop off my car. I transferred my backpack, my other friend's backpack, a box of alcohol, and I forgot my bag that had my vape in it. So I had to bum my friend's all night. I lived like 15 mins from the venue, so I could have gone home to get it. But by the time I realized I forgot it, I was about 8 drinks into the night...

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
It has frequently happened to me. I've since changed cities, but the folks at the vape shop who helped me get off tobacco-- before I found this forum-- turned into good buddies over time. Their stock in trade was geared more to Spinner batteries and such so once I moved into mechs I couldn't buy much there any more. I can't blame them, they stocked what their customers wanted to buy. Anyway, I only lived a few blocks away and one of the young'uns who worked there got in the habit of calling me when she hit a problem she couldn't fix on more advanced gear. Over time, that turned into me giving a monthly class on coil building and battery safety in the evening for those who were interested. Once those classes started, I had to order wire in gigantic spools and cotton by the ton :)

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
It has frequently happened to me. I've since changed cities, but the folks at the vape shop who helped me get off tobacco-- before I found this forum-- turned into good buddies over time. Their stock in trade was geared more to Spinner batteries and such so once I moved into mechs I couldn't buy much there any more. I can't blame them, they stocked what their customers wanted to buy. Anyway, I only lived a few blocks away and one of the young'uns who worked there got in the habit of calling me when she hit a problem she couldn't fix on more advanced gear. Over time, that turned into me giving a monthly class on coil building and battery safety in the evening for those who were interested. Once those classes started, I had to order wire in gigantic spools and cotton by the ton :)

Mark of a good shop, right there. In the early days I used a particular shop exclusively due to exciting products (specialized in Philippines Mechs and rebuildables), and clones. The clones part is significant, because a local computer engineer who had been out of work started coming in regularly to hang and run diagnostics on a TON of different devices. An early surprise was finding that a particular clone of (IIRC) the Nemesis hit harder - and not insignificantly so - than the authentic.

That's a lot of setup - basically this resulted in product that was a fine mix of interesting, high-end mods and tested, conductively superior clones (and authentics, when they proved better) of popular models. The shop became, basically, the defacto spot for all your mech and rebuildable needs, at the height of mech popularity. That meant new vapers, and lots of them, at a time when regulated devices weren't very good for anything but tootling.

The shop owners were highly knowledgeable, but as you can imagine, things got overwhelming quickly for them. So they started hiring this guy (hilarious guy too, by the way, was a pleasure to chat with. Kind of your classic geek. My kinda guy) to do workshops on battery safety, ohm's law, practical rebuilding workshops, etc. It was, and remains, far too rare a thing. The locals all started getting better vapes, had strong, working knowledge of ohm's law and battery safety, and yep, kept coming back to the shop, time and again.

Brand loyalty, community involvement, informed consumers, responsible owners and one huge monster of a geek ensuring we all had the chops we needed to operate safely while getting the vapes of our lives.

Long story, but the short: thank you for donating your time. Mechs are less relevant to the average vaper today, of course, but for a long time they were the only viable option for folks that needed more from their vapes to be effective. I have to think you can take credit for the successes of a bunch of ex-smokers.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
anytime I see a vaper "in the wild" I (not so) subtlety start a conversation...and force my juice on them to give me feedback. lol.
Me too.:thumb:

We usually end up swapping mods/tanks, but use our own drip tips.

I also direct them to EFC. ;) Most had never heard of it.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Mark of a good shop, right there. In the early days I used a particular shop exclusively due to exciting products (specialized in Philippines Mechs and rebuildables), and clones. The clones part is significant, because a local computer engineer who had been out of work started coming in regularly to hang and run diagnostics on a TON of different devices. An early surprise was finding that a particular clone of (IIRC) the Nemesis hit harder - and not insignificantly so - than the authentic.

That's a lot of setup - basically this resulted in product that was a fine mix of interesting, high-end mods and tested, conductively superior clones (and authentics, when they proved better) of popular models. The shop became, basically, the defacto spot for all your mech and rebuildable needs, at the height of mech popularity. That meant new vapers, and lots of them, at a time when regulated devices weren't very good for anything but tootling.

The shop owners were highly knowledgeable, but as you can imagine, things got overwhelming quickly for them. So they started hiring this guy (hilarious guy too, by the way, was a pleasure to chat with. Kind of your classic geek. My kinda guy) to do workshops on battery safety, ohm's law, practical rebuilding workshops, etc. It was, and remains, far too rare a thing. The locals all started getting better vapes, had strong, working knowledge of ohm's law and battery safety, and yep, kept coming back to the shop, time and again.

Brand loyalty, community involvement, informed consumers, responsible owners and one huge monster of a geek ensuring we all had the chops we needed to operate safely while getting the vapes of our lives.

Long story, but the short: thank you for donating your time. Mechs are less relevant to the average vaper today, of course, but for a long time they were the only viable option for folks that needed more from their vapes to be effective. I have to think you can take credit for the successes of a bunch of ex-smokers.
I'd like to think so...

Reactions: petrotech

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
A few years ago, I stop in a vape shop and needed some cotton to replace my wick. The counter girl saw my REO and wanted to try it, i said "sure". she put on one of them drip tip rubbers and took a big hit and the look on her face. I forgot to tell her I had 18mg in the squonk bottle. When she got through gagging she said she vapes 2mg. It still makes me laugh to think about it.

I've had a few people insist that my statement that I vape 65 mg/ml juice is a lie. I usually offer a puff. As you say, after they quit coughing and gagging (and in one case turning green and losing the entire contents of their stomach) they usually allow that I might not have been lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread