Can I go coil-less?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurlyLioness

Apr 3, 2019
Hi, im not really sure if this is the right forum for this question, but if not please tell me where to go. I have a jomotech lite 40s box mod. I burn through the coils like crazy, and don't really think rebuilding or cleaning the coils is the best solution for me. I've been reading about coil-less tanks and was wondering if there are any compatible with this particular unit?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

CurlyLioness

Apr 3, 2019
There as some that call themselves coil less but most if not all of the ones I have seen have a strip of mesh that needs to be burned off and re-wicked and replaced at some point.

Not sure I would consider that much different or coil-less
Yeah, I did notice that in my reading, but it says they last longer than traditional coils. My only problem is that one in particular I was reading about recommended burning them off at 30w and my unit is 40w.
Do you have any other recommendations to solve my issue. I have literally been having to clean or replace my coils almost daily. I don't really want to start over with a whole new setup.

• Optimistic

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I have a coilless one, can't remember the name of it atm. I didn't like the ramp up time so never really used it. I find Berserkers and ego one RBA (have to get the rba coils, not regular ones) tanks to be easy. I change wicks about every 2-3 weeks and coils last for months. I vape some dark, sweet juices and those have to have wick changes a bit more often than the clear juices.

CurlyLioness

Apr 3, 2019
    typically sweeter juices and darker colored juices will gunk up a coil quickly
    try a different juice, something clear and not sweet
    Thanks, I will remember that. I have been using very light colored and clear juices so far with only a little sweetness. I prefer a slightly sweet flavor but not too sweet. I can usually get enough sweetness from the vg but I am still looking for good flavors for making my own juice.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Yeah, I did notice that in my reading, but it says they last longer than traditional coils. My only problem is that one in particular I was reading about recommended burning them off at 30w and my unit is 40w.
    Do you have any other recommendations to solve my issue. I have literally been having to clean or replace my coils almost daily. I don't really want to start over with a whole new setup.

The Mesh strip in most of those is designed to vape at 40W or higher. I think you would need a new device to go with the tank

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    My device is 40w, the girl at the vape shop recommended the falcon sub ohm tank and another one I can't remember the name of. What about ceramic coils?
    You shouldn't listen to the shop girl. The Falcon coils will drain you battery very fast and will barely power most of the their coils. Take a look at the Vaporesso NRG or Cascade Baby. Good coil options, their ceramic coil are said to be one of the better ones. Ceramic coils do have wire in them. The wireless coils are far from being where they need to be, I'd wait a year or so to let the technology catch up to the vape quality we enjoy with round, flat, or mesh wires.

Shadav

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    thehelpline.info
    think of it this way... you mod only goes to 40w, so the lower the ohm of a coil the more power it's going to need to use, the faster it will drain your battery....
    kind of like trying to plug a major appliance into a standard outlet, your going to pull too much power and flip a breaker...

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    CurlyLioness, what is happening to the coils you're using? Are you getting spitback due to dry hits? What ratio juice are you using? Maybe it could not be wicking properly. Also, why is it you don't want to rebuild? If you're up for rewicking, it wouldn't be that much harder to use premade coils in an RBA. I was skeptical too (about a month ago) and now I can't stop myself from rebuilding, just for fun, even if it isn't needed.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    Just to state the obvious:

It's not the "coil" going bad - it's the wicking material (usually cotton) inside the coil assembly that has a much shorter usable life than the coil itself, which is why it is much more economical to use an RBA rather than disposable coils.

Personally, I would at least try an inexpensive RDA or RTA. If you don't want to deal with spools of wire, just buy some pre-rolled coils and a bag of organic cotton balls. There is a very short learning curve, and barring any physical disability or dexterity issues, any able person can do it with minimal practice. A lot of people claim they are not "handy" and give up without even trying. Learning a new skill can be fun. Of course I will concede that there may be safety concerns, and some folks just don't want to bother or don't want to invest the time, but they must then deal with the available alternatives and expense.

Using an RDA or RTA will allow you to get months from a single coil, just dry burn the coil and replace the cotton wick when your vapor diminishes or starts to taste funky or burnt. It's really very simple.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    Just to state the obvious:

It's not the "coil" going bad - it's the wicking material (usually cotton) inside the coil assembly that has a much shorter usable life than the coil itself, which is why it is much more economical to use an RBA rather than disposable coils.

Personally, I would at least try an inexpensive RDA or RTA. If you don't want to deal with spools of wire, just buy some pre-rolled coils and a bag of organic cotton balls. There is a very short learning curve, and barring any physical disability or dexterity issues, any able person can do it with minimal practice. A lot of people claim they are not "handy" and give up without even trying. Learning a new skill can be fun. Of course I will concede that there may be safety concerns, and some folks just don't want to bother or don't want to invest the time, but they must then deal with the available alternatives and expense.

Using an RDA or RTA will allow you to get months from a single coil, just dry burn the coil and replace the cotton wick when your vapor diminishes or starts to taste funky or burnt. It's really very simple.

If you still aren't sure, I'll dig up the embarrassing thread where I complain about not wanting to try. I am legally blind, and have arthritis. It really is much simpler than you may think, esp with already made coils.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    If you still aren't sure, I'll dig up the embarrassing thread where I complain about not wanting to try. I am legally blind, and have arthritis. It really is much simpler than you may think, esp with already made coils.

I wish I could do more than "love" this post.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    In summary, no, you can't go coil-less. Something has got to generate the heat for vaporization. Anything that claims to be coil-less is a gimmick. The actual component that is going bad is the wicking material.

The frustration with disposable pre-built coil assemblies is understandable. They are expensive and wasteful. You see now that the money you saved on your tank was illusory because you locked yourself into buying refills. cf. ink-jet printers cartridges and razor blades. You are aware of steps that can be taken to extend life such as using simple clear liquids and limiting your wattage but these are restrictions that don't address the underlying problem.

So you can either accept it and pay for the convenience of easy maintenance, or make some choices that require effort:

1. Take the half-measure of buying a tank that uses pre-built coil assemblies that other users report success in rebuilding, allowing you to reuse the same head several times.
    2. Embrace DIY and get a rebuildable tank atomizer (RTA) plus coils and wicking so you have full control over your experience and the lowest ongoing maintenance costs.

tl;dr CHEAP, FAST, GOOD — Pick two.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    You can also purchase a tank that accepts disposable coils and has an optional RBA (ReBuildable Atomizer). The RBA allows you to build your own coils, and if you decide that it isn't worth the trouble you can still use disposable coils in the same tank.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I am sorry but the setup you are using just isn't that great. Also with chain vaping if you are doing that it's murder on your coils.

I would say get a better setup PERIOD (whatever you decide on that isn't coil less but sure an RTA if you want to stop using drop in coils.)

You can keep vaping your old setup and switch the mods out so you aren't overstressing each one.

Do some research. Best of luck.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread