Can I still use these flavourings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I should receive the nic in a couple of days or so and I'll put it in the freezer.

If you're getting 100mL of nic base, don't put all of it in the freezer. Freezing nic base is more for longterm storage. You should probably put whatever amount you'd need to make your eliquids for a month or 2 at least...in a small glass bottle and keep it with your DIY supplies. As long as it's in a pretty cool and dark place, it'll be fine for that long. Or, you can put that bottle in the fridge, and allow it to reach room temp. each time, before you uncap it to use any. Split up the rest of the 100mL into similar sized bottles, so you can remove only 1 at a time from the freezer, as needed. The rest just stay in the freezer until needed.

When you take a bottle out of the freezer...allow it to come to room temperature also, before opening the cap to use any of it. Otherwise condensation will form inside the bottle, and that's not a good thing for nic base.

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
Thank you JC, that's good info for me. I imagine getting to room temp might take 30 minutes or so? My freezer is set -18c but it's cold most of the time in the UK so probably won't take too long :D

I've just ordered a pack of 5 glass x 50ml amber glass bottles with childproof caps and droppers, very good price too. And I also ordered 15 x 10ml LDPE bottles. My plan is to decant the 100ml of nic into two 50ml bottles and freeze them, but I'll add some to one of the new 10ml LDPE bottles for everyday use and might keep that in the fridge part or maybe in a cupboard.

I use about 1.30ml of nic for every 30ml of juice I make and I worked out this small bottle of nic should last me about 2 years.

My only concern now is the actual storage of glass bottles in the freezer and potential breakage. I just tested a small tupperware container with water and turrned it upside down and it dripped water. So that wouldn't work. I need to find something really liquid proof for the bottles to go in before they go into the freezer and if they smash, the container will stop it going into the main freezer.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I've just ordered a pack of 5 glass x 50ml amber glass bottles with childproof caps and droppers, very good price too. And I also ordered 15 x 10ml LDPE bottles. My plan is to decant the 100ml of nic into two 50ml bottles and freeze them, but I'll add some to one of the new 10ml LDPE bottles for everyday use and might keep that in the fridge part or maybe in a cupboard.

First, you're welcome for any info I've given that you've found to be of help. We all started DIY by learning from others who helped us, so I'm just passing it on.

Do you mean you ordered the 50mL amber glass bottles with screw on childproof caps and then some seperate droppers? Or, do the bottles have a combination childproof screw on cap with a dropper attached to it? If it's the 2nd option...you don't want to use those cap/dropper combination tops on bottles of nic base for freezer storage. You need a glass bottle with a screw-on cap, preferrably a phenolic cap (has a polycone shaped liner inside it)...like shown below. They come in many sizes, for different sized glass bottles.

Phenolic Cone Cap - 4oz (24mm)

22-400 Continuous Thread Lined Black Phenolic Closure - Polycone Liner

About using your LDPE bottles - They're perfectly fine for your eliquids you make, but they're not good for storing nic base, even in your fridge. They're not completely resistant to oxygen penetration, like glass is.

As far as storing your glass bottles of nic in your freezer and wanting to prevent potential breakage and contamination of other stuff in your freezer: Here are 2 ways that some people break down and store their liters of nic base in glass bottles, in their freezer. Maybe one of them will be to your liking for your bottles. 1) Wrap each glass bottle in bubblewrap and then put it in its own Ziplock type baggie. Those then go in one outer container (cardboard box, plastic storage, etc.) that's sealed and put into the freezer. 2) Individually Ziplock baggie each bottle, line an outer container with a layer or 2 of bubblewrap, put all the bottles in it, and seal it up. No matter which method someone uses, most people usually also label the outer container...to show what's in it, the date it was stored, the mg/mL, etc.

Those are only 2 ways though, that I know some people have used. Everyone has to figure out what works for them, as far as their comfort level when storing it. What method they use may also depend on who else, if anyone, has access to the freezer (ie. their kids, other adults, etc.). So some may do fewer steps, while others may do more.

Last edited:

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
Thanks JC. Oh dear, yes, I ordered the wrong ones, the combination childproof screw on cap with a dropper attached, and they were dispatched today. :oops: These,

50ml Amber Glass Bottle (Pack of 5)

Well I've found one 30ml amber bottle at home with a childproof cap so I could probably take the cap from that and put it on a 50ml bottle if it fits and use that for half of the nic. Does the cap look ok to you? I'll need to find another cap to replace the dropper cap on the new bottles.

Thanks for the tip about the LDPE bottles. Hmm, I think a single 10ml LDPE bottle of nic would be replenished about every two months, do you think that's short enough time not to worry about oxidation?

Thanks for the storage tips. My plan is something simliar though I may incorporate the bubble wrap. I'll decant my 100ml nic into both 50ml bottles, put each bottle in its own leakproof plastic bag (well, as leakproof as any plastic bag can be) with plenty of kitchen roll in the bags to soak up any nic if the bottles break, and the bags will be put in a small leakproof Tupperware type container, also with plenty of kitchen roll.

Reactions: stols001

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Well I've found one 30ml amber bottle at home with a childproof cap so I could probably take the cap from that and put it on a 50ml bottle if it fits and use that for half of the nic. Does the cap look ok to you? I'll need to find another cap to replace the dropper cap on the new bottles.

Yes, that's the preferred kind of cap. :thumbs: So if the threading on it lines up perfectly with 1 of your new 50mL bottles...I'd definitely use it for 1/2 of your nic for your freezer. If it doesn't fit the new 50mL bottles though...I'd just use your recycled 30mL w/that polycone cap, for 30mL nic base in your freezer.

The website where your 50mL bottles are coming from doesn't show the neck specs (ie. 22/400, 24/425, etc.) for the bottles. If you can...find out what the specs are (call them, email them, etc.) I'd then do some Google searching for bottle companies in the UK that have the exact polycone caps that you'd need. They're really cheap here in the US, so hopefully they would be as well in the UK.

If you can't find any in the UK...let me know the specs for the neck of your 50mL bottles, and if I have a few extras of that size polycone cap, I'll put a few in the mail to you.

If all else fails though, I'd just use those 50mL amber glass bottles w/droppers for your eliquids you make, or storing plain PG or VG, etc. Then buy just a few smaller ones with polycone caps from another UK vendor...to use for your remaining nic base for the freezer and/or in your fridge.

A local pharmacy might sell you a couple amber glass bottles with screw on caps for not much $. Not sure I'd volunteer the info that you want them for nic base though...unless maybe the pharmacist is a friend who knows you DIY. However, lots of people DO use amber glass bottles for storing essential oils and other liquids that are light sensitive (hint, hint). Otherwise...if push comes to shove, I'd just buy a couple bottles of the least expensive cough syrup, or flavoring, sold at a grocery store...that comes in glass bottles with screw on caps, and reuse them! Just wash them out thoroughly so it'll get rid of traces of the previous contents and/or any smells.

Thanks for the tip about the LDPE bottles. Hmm, I think a single 10ml LDPE bottle of nic would be replenished about every two months, do you think that's short enough time not to worry about oxidation?

I wouldn't keep nic base in an LDPE bottle at all...in the fridge or out.

Last edited:

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
Thanks very much JC, great information and very kind offer!

if push comes to shove, I'd just buy a couple bottles of the least expensive cough syrup, or flavoring, sold at a grocery store...that comes in glass bottles with screw on caps, and reuse them! Just wash them out thoroughly so it'll get rid of traces of the previous contents and/or any smells.

Oh my god, I read this and it was a 'ding!' moment. The answer has been hiding in plain sight. You mentioned cough syrup, my mouth opened, I looked to my right, and there are two dark glass bottles of cough syrup!

I've been overdoing the vaping recently so I'm going through cough mixture like water. They're 200ml bottles. There we have it then. One is empty now so I can wash it out, probably even put it in my ultrasonic and decant my 100ml nic into it. I'll then use the 30ml glass bottle for everyday nic use and keep in the fridge. And the dropper bottles for e liquid. :)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Oh my god, I read this and it was a 'ding!' moment. The answer has been hiding in plain sight. You mentioned cough syrup, my mouth opened, I looked to my right, and there are two dark glass bottles of cough syrup!

Yippee! :banana:

However...you say they're both 200mL bottles? That'll leave a bunch of space for air to be trapped inside the 1 with the 70mL of nic base in it. There will be more air space as you replenish your 30mL fridge bottle, too, over the next 1.5-2 years. Maybe you have a few other bottles that are smaller...that you forgot you have, and could reuse them?

Or...I just had a "ding ding" moment, too! Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier! Do you have any miniatures of scotch, rum, vodka, etc.? If you don't have any now, I'd bet you could get some easily and inexpensively. Most of them come in 50mL bottles!! Even 2 of those for your 70mL of nic base would definitely be better than using the (1) 200mL bottle for it!

It doesn't even have to be colored glass, since there's no light going to get to it in your freezer, except for when you open it. Some people even bought all clear glass bottles for their nic base freezer storage, and just wrapped them in tin foil to keep light out and/or put them in a box in their freezer.

If you've read about people breaking down their liters of nic base, they always use several smaller bottles, that they fill almost completely to the top...to eliminate as much space for air in the bottle as possible. Air exposure is 1 of the things that helps nic oxidize.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I have got a 50ml clear glass jack daniels bottle which would be ideal. But it has a regular metal screw on cap, obviously not childproof. That wouldn't be safe enough would it?

I have a few JD miniatures myself, though mine aren't empty...yet. :D

Honestly, the phenolic polycone caps aren't childproof either, that most of us use on our nic base bottles. I don't know of any miniatures that have them either. Do you have kids or grandkids that are likely to rummage around in your freezer and/or fridge, so it would be a concern?

If you don't...I personally wouldn't worry about childproof or not caps. I'd just label whatever you put the bottles in to make sure any other adults know what's in them.

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
Nope no kids rummaging around, JC, and I'm sure you're right, I could get away with a regusr miniature bottle. But seems I got lucky today. I went into a pharmacy, our biggest brand chemist in the UK and she gave me two 60ml glass bottles with childproof caps for free! :thumb:

I could decant into one of the 60ml bottles and my 30ml glass bottle. That would leave me with 10ml left over to decant somewhere or leave in the bottle it comes in if it's HDPE. Alternatively, the caps fit my 200ml cough syrup bottles so maybe they'll fit my 50ml bottles. Just thinking of the best way to do it without leaving too much air space in the bottle.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I went into a pharmacy, our biggest brand chemist in the UK and she gave me two 60ml glass bottles with childproof caps for free! :thumb:

:banana: Nice lady! :banana:

I could decant into one of the 60ml bottles and my 30ml glass bottle. That would leave me with 10ml left over to decant somewhere or leave in the bottle it comes in if it's HDPE.

Sounds like an excellent idea...using 1 of the 60mL and the 1 30mL you found, for your freezer nic.

For your 10mL for in your fridge...do you have perhaps a small HDPE, solid white, hard plastic bottle that over-the-counter medications and/or some Rx sometimes come in (ie. headache pills, vitamins, etc.)? Most have a good screw-on cap, and some are very small...like for only 25 little pills. Should be way smaller than the 100mL bottle your nic base might be in, so there'd be much less air space. Just throwing thoughts out there though.

However, I do have a quantity of smaller sized 15mL amber glass bottles with polycone caps. I'd be more than happy to send you 3-4, because you'll need some smaller ones later anyway. You can use 1 for your fridge nic now. After it's used up and you need to break down the 30mL freezer bottle...reuse the 1 to keep 15mL in the fridge again, and put 1 back in your freezer. Later, break down the 60mL freezer nic...just reuse your 30mL + 2 of the little 15mL. Keep 1 15mL in the fridge again.

Just PM me your mailing info., and I'll get them sent. And yes...I know you're not in the US. It's really no big deal to me though. :)

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
:banana: Nice lady! :banana:

Sounds like an excellent idea...using 1 of the 60mL and the 1 30mL you found, for your freezer nic.

For your 10mL for in your fridge...do you have perhaps a small HDPE, solid white, hard plastic bottle that over-the-counter medications and/or some Rx sometimes come in (ie. headache pills, vitamins, etc.)? Most have a good screw-on cap, and some are very small...like for only 25 little pills. Should be way smaller than the 100mL bottle your nic base might be in, so there'd be much less air space. Just throwing thoughts out there though.

However, I do have a quantity of smaller sized 15mL amber glass bottles with polycone caps. I'd be more than happy to send you 3-4, because you'll need some smaller ones later anyway. You can use 1 for your fridge nic now. After it's used up and you need to break down the 30mL freezer bottle...reuse the 1 to keep 15mL in the fridge again, and put 1 back in your freezer. Later, break down the 60mL freezer nic...just reuse your 30mL + 2 of the little 15mL. Keep 1 15mL in the fridge again.

Just PM me your mailing info., and I'll get them sent. And yes...I know you're not in the US. It's really no big deal to me though. :)

Wow, that's amazingly generous of you JC, thanks!! :thumbs: I'll PM you my details. I received my nic today and got my syringes ready but in the end just carefully decanted with a funnel into both the 60 and 30ml bottles right to the brim. Wrapped them in bubble wrap, put them in a bag and sat them in a plastic tray and put it in the freezer. I'm going to buy a plastic container though to replace the tray.

Only a little bit is left in the plastic nic bottle so for now I've put that in a small jiffy envelope and into the back of my fridge. If you're sure you don't mind posting those that would be awesome but it's a lot of trouble to go to. But pretty cool getting bottles all the way from sunny America! :)

Reactions: stols001

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
.....carefully decanted with a funnel into both the 60 and 30ml bottles right to the brim. Wrapped them in bubble wrap, put them in a bag and sat them in a plastic tray and put it in the freezer. I'm going to buy a plastic container though to replace the tray.

Sounds good to me!
Got your PM with your info. Your package will go out tomorrow or Friday. It's no problem at all, and I'm happy to send some. :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread