can silicone withstand high temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
I'm building an atty for myself. There is this one part that I want to use silicone, but I'm not too sure because it is in close proximity with the coil. I wonder if it can take the heat? I mean, it's 1 or 2mm from the coil.

But I remember in the vivi nova, there is a silicone piece that fits over the atty head and that's very close to the heating coil as well...

thx

kaddigart

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Insomniville
From Wikipedia:
Silicon is a solid at room temperature, with relatively high melting and boiling points of 1414 and 3265 °C, respectively. It has a greater density in a liquid state than a solid state. It does not contract when it freezes like most substances, but expands, similar to how ice is less dense than water. With a relatively high thermal conductivity of 149 W·m−1·K−1, silicon conducts heat well and as a result is not often used to insulate hot objects.

It will withstand the heat, but it will also transfer it...

srolesen

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2011
denmark
the above post is actually regarding silicon witch does have quite different properties.
From Silicone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Silicone is used as an insulator in heat-resistant potholders and similar items; however, it is more conductive of heat than similar less dense fiber-based products. Silicone oven mitts are able to withstand temperatures up to 260 °C (500 °F), allowing reaching into boiling water.
I i think all food safe types of silicone would be suitable for your mod at least i have never had a problem with mine (from amazon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread