can we use candy flavorings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad356

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
north java, ny
just a the tread title states, can we use candy flavors for DYI liquid making? does this ban prevent companies that sell vaping extracts from continuing to do so? i primarily make my own and have been doing it for years anyways to save money. is this ban on prefilled carts, pre-made liquid, or all products including extracts sold as vaping flavorings. i think this whole thing is an outrageous and irresponsible over reach by our government.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
If you DIY you're good. They can't really do anything about the flavorings themselves. They're attacking premade e-liquid. This shouldn't impact the ability to buy VG or PG either, and as I understand it, nicotine isn't yet under fire. However, if you aren't stockpiled on nic, it wouldn't be unwise to stock up a bit.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I wouldn't use just any candy flavorings from supermarket shelves, though. Many contain ingredients that are not suitable for inhalation. Look for flavorings made for e-cigarettes. They are often the same as food flavorings, but not always. There's no way the feds can ban those. You can get them online, as you probably already know. I like this place:

Bull City Flavors - Best Prices on Flavoring

They carry most major brands.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Capella, FlavorWest, Real Flavors and Prefumers Apprentice sell “FOOD FLAVORINGS”. Nothing to do with vaping.

Of course a couple of the aforementioned account for the vast majority of flavors we vape, but they aren’t sold as anything other than food flavors.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Stay away from the oil-based ones. One of the ingredients should be propylene glycol or glycerin.
This raises a great point.

How many vapers are going to buy oil based flavors from Walmart, Bulk Barn, etc. and use them in their ejuice and get really sick?

Crazy, but I expect this will be a very big issue if the flavor bans are as bad as expected...

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas

How many vapers are going to buy oil based flavors from Walmart, Bulk Barn, etc. and use them in their ejuice and get really sick?

Crazy, but I expect this will be a very big issue if the flavor bans are as bad as expected...
It's possible, expect all sorts of craziness soon. If you aren't 100% sure it has no oils or harmful additives, I'd err on the side of caution and avoid it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Probably hang out a bit and they'll start selling Flavor Shots for those that don't want to diy.
Those might be available, but I'm not sure if the FDA knows what they are. Once they find out, they will likely include it in the ban, too
Too easy that a kid could do it at home with unflavored. Not that kids really vape for flavors and not the buzz, but thats beside the point.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Look for flavorings made for e-cigarettes. They are often the same as food flavorings, but not always.

There is no such thing as flavorings "made for e-cigarettes". The flavorings we use existed long before vaping was a thing. Now there may be some vendors that buy individual flavorings, and pre-mix them into a complex flavor profile flavoring and then sell it as a "vaping flavor shot" or something like that, but the was still made with the same food flavorings.

I agree with everything else though. People absolutely do need to make sure what they are using doesn't contain oils or a few other bad ingredients.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
There is no such thing as flavorings "made for e-cigarettes".

Yes, they all started as food flavorings. Not worth debating, really. But as more people started making their own eliquids, many manufacturers started testing and tweaking their original food flavorings to make sure that they are suitable for use in e-cigs. FA has a food line and an e-cig line of flavorings, more or less formally, and certify that their e-cig line is free of diacetyl and other diketones, for example. And so on. :)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Yes, they all started as food flavorings. Not worth debating, really. But as more people started making their own eliquids, many manufacturers started testing and tweaking their original food flavorings to make sure that they are suitable for use in e-cigs. FA has a food line and an e-cig line of flavorings, more or less formally, and certify that their e-cig line is free of diacetyl and other diketones, for example. And so on. :)

The bottom line is that pretty much any flavor from any company that does not contain diacetyl or oils can be, and are, used. The flavors do NOT need to be specifically marked as "for ecig use" or anything like that. In fact in the very near future I suspect no flavors from any company will be marked or marketed that way as the dumb flavor bans gain momentum. Which will make finding such marked flavors a bit like hunting for unicorns. People just need to get used to making sure what they are using is diacetyl and oil free.

sos2001

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2014
South Carolina

The ONLY thing our corrupt governments care about is getting those tobacco payments back up. They don't care what consequences the black market brings.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Reactions: RoseB

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
I can’t see any reason why made-for-e juice flavors couldn’t be used for food though, and marketed as such. One on One flavors has already started doing that. Of course, they were already also making candy and snow cone flavorings, but now they are posting keto recipes using their flavor line.
I do use my e liquid flavorings for food, because they're food flavorings. Except for ry4, I haven't found anything I want to bake using that flavoring.
Anyone who is interested in DIY e liquid, should go reading in the DIY forum. There is a lot of useful information in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread