Can you describe your filtation process ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
First try at NET's. Go out and grab mason jars, a dozen pipe tobaccos from P&C, used Extended Cold Maceration ? for extraction. Grabbed a plastic funnel and some SEOH paper lab filters from Amazon. Love the taste, but... these are rather gunky, even using all three step filtering (slow, medium, fast). Setting coffee filters over lab filters in hope that weight of liquid/ coffee filter helps to hold down/ seal lab filters, but still think some miniscule particles are getting by.
Is there a better way, without breaking the bank, to filter tobacco Extractions ?

Lori2014

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2014
First try at NET's. Go out and grab mason jars, a dozen pipe tobaccos from P&C, used Extended Cold Maceration ? for extraction. Grabbed a plastic funnel and some SEOH paper lab filters from Amazon. Love the taste, but... these are rather gunky, even using all three step filtering (slow, medium, fast). Setting coffee filters over lab filters in hope that weight of liquid/ coffee filter helps to hold down/ seal lab filters, but still think some miniscule particles are getting by.
Is there a better way, without breaking the bank, to filter tobacco Extractions ?

I make simple N.E.T.s, using Canadian cigarette tobacco (no casing or flavouring). After messing around with kitchen sieves and funnels, I found a French press for $20. Billherbst posted about this extensively in this forum. It really simplifies things for me. I put the tobacco in the glass container, add hot PG to cover (takes a lot) then put the glass container in a stock pot, on a trivet, with water level just above the tobacco level. I cover the glass container, but not the pot - I find it easier to maintain the water temp at 145 - 150 F without the pot lid.

I let it steep at temp for 12 hrs, then turn the heat off and let it steep and cool down for another 12 hrs. I reassemble the French press, press the plunger, and pour it through a stainless steel mesh permanent coffee filter and into a paper coffee filter. VERY little solids come out of the French press. I then let it gravity feed through Fast and Medium filters. Couldn't get Slow, or any with micron ratings. I use the permanent coffee filters as holders for the paper filters.

I make 3 months worth of extract at a time, so usually divide it into thirds before it goes through the proper filters, so it doesn't take forever to filter. I'm working on a stacking set-up, to do all the filtering in one go, so the time it takes is little more than the slowest filter.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Ive only done cold PG maceration so far. Once the time is up I pour the whole concoction thru this: Amazon.com: Premium Quality - Nut Milk Bag - XL - 13 " X 13 " - Smoothie Strainer - Cold Brew Coffee Maker- Free Recipes Included - Reusable - Filter Bag - Professional Industry - Largest on Amazon: Kitchen & Dining which is sitting in this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P4D5HG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 which is sitting on a coffee mug. Then I filter through a regular coffee filter and then through these: Ahlstrom Qualitative Filter Paper, 2.5 micrometer Retention, Medium Flow, Grade 601: Science Lab Qualitative Filter Paper: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

The coffee filter takes maybe four hours and the Ahlstrom eight or more. Once mixed I need to dry burn and change wicks every three to four ml.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
as long as you maintain the usage of VG PG in your extraction, your end results will be more gunky than with ethanol... PG VG tends to pull out ( release) stuff ethanol doesnt ( sugars?? ) Once I went to ethanol, I gave up using PG VG solvents for extracting... and, the choice of tobacco will determine the severity of "gunkiness" too... I have had some pipe blends come out wonderful and clean and others ( using the same extraction process) come out like Hersheys syrup... but, it turns out every VG PG extract I did turned into a severe gunker...

all my filtering is done with coffie filters, freeze sessions, and heated oil separations.... havent tried centrifuge yet but Im working on some good leads in the lab department of the Hospitals I deliver to... ;)

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
Ive only done cold PG maceration so far. Once the time is up I pour the whole concoction thru this: Amazon.com: Premium Quality - Nut Milk Bag - XL - 13 " X 13 " - Smoothie Strainer - Cold Brew Coffee Maker- Free Recipes Included - Reusable - Filter Bag - Professional Industry - Largest on Amazon: Kitchen & Dining which is sitting in this: Amazon.com: Hario VDC-02W V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper, White: Coffee Pots: Kitchen & Dining which is sitting on a coffee mug. Then I filter through a regular coffee filter and then through these: Ahlstrom Qualitative Filter Paper, 2.5 micrometer Retention, Medium Flow, Grade 601: Science Lab Qualitative Filter Paper: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

The coffee filter takes maybe four hours and the Ahlstrom eight or more. Once mixed I need to dry burn and change wicks every three to four ml.

That Hario dripper will also make a mean cup o' joe. lol!

Reactions: 67Tele
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread