Canker Sores and Thrush in mouth - caused by type of juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NashHsan

Oct 17, 2018
Hi Team

Came across this site whilst trying to investigate my current situation.

I'm in Australia, and used to always get my vape juice from Mt Baker Vapor. Been vaping for 2+ years and NEVER had an issue. Recently they stopped shipping to Australia so I had to find another juice supplier (with nicotine).

After a few weeks of using this juice, i developed a horrible burning sensation on the tip my tongue which spread over my entire tongue, then my mouth filled with ulcers/canker sores and I developed thrush in my mouth and lost all sense of taste. No treatment was working (salt water rinse, oral thrush liquid, apple cider vinegar...).

When the sores and other symptoms in my mouth hit peak level, I actually noticed that my tongue burned as I vaped. So I put the vape down and BAM, symptoms started reducing. I returned to vaping after about 3 days and again, my mouth started getting bad again.

I thought I would share my experience as some people may have had this fun from the juice and not necessarily the act of vaping.

The biggest difference between the juice from Mt Baker and the juice from my new supplier is the new juice has such intense flavour, whereas Mt Baker was more subtle. I feel that perhaps the flavour enhancer in the new juice is the cause. Just my observations though.

If anyone else has had a similar experience, I would love to hear about it. I seriously thought something was really wrong with me, I couldn't sleep, eat... then found another thread on here. THANK YOU!

Also, I haven't shared the name of the new juice supplier as I may have just had an allergy and I wouldn't want to bad mouth them for that!

NashHsan

Oct 17, 2018
Thrush?! Seriously?! In your mouth!? AFAIK This is NOT normal for grownups or anyone with a healthy immune system.

See a doctor now!

It's already sorted, stopped the new juice and no problem. Just think it's an allergy. But i'd hate people to give up vaping and return to smoking because of this (i've found these symptoms have impacted many people)... so just sharing :)

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
This is NOT normal for grownups or anyone with a healthy immune system.

Entirely incorrect.

Thrush is fungal infection caused by yeast...it's very similar in every way to diaper rash.

The body's normal bacteria usually keep candida in balance. When this balance is interrupted, it can result in an overgrowth of the the body's normal bacteria which usually keep candida in balance. Yeast already lives in your body, on your skin, etc.

That could be immune system or it could be a change in pH your saliva/mouth or system (like from taking antibiotics), other drugs like cortisone, chemotherapy......and even from wearing dentures.

Its really not a big deal but you will need some mouthwash and/or oral meds from your doc or dentist IF it doesn't go away.....
because left untreated, it "can" spread.

NashHsan

Oct 17, 2018
LOL okay, so the "thrush" diagnosis was completely self diagnosed, i've never had it and don't really know what it would be like anyway.

I don't take any medications or the like. I've not changed anything about my diet, lifestyle, etc, except for changing vape juice... stopped using it and symptoms have pretty much gone... just one canker sore in it's final stages of healing.

Adults DO get thrush in their mouth though, that much I know so completely agree Racehorse. But I possibly didn't have thrush... I just felt like I had everything in my mouth, was horrible!

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Hi Team

Came across this site whilst trying to investigate my current situation.

I'm in Australia, and used to always get my vape juice from Mt Baker Vapor. Been vaping for 2+ years and NEVER had an issue. Recently they stopped shipping to Australia so I had to find another juice supplier (with nicotine).

After a few weeks of using this juice, i developed a horrible burning sensation on the tip my tongue which spread over my entire tongue, then my mouth filled with ulcers/canker sores and I developed thrush in my mouth and lost all sense of taste. No treatment was working (salt water rinse, oral thrush liquid, apple cider vinegar...).

When the sores and other symptoms in my mouth hit peak level, I actually noticed that my tongue burned as I vaped. So I put the vape down and BAM, symptoms started reducing. I returned to vaping after about 3 days and again, my mouth started getting bad again.

I thought I would share my experience as some people may have had this fun from the juice and not necessarily the act of vaping.

The biggest difference between the juice from Mt Baker and the juice from my new supplier is the new juice has such intense flavour, whereas Mt Baker was more subtle. I feel that perhaps the flavour enhancer in the new juice is the cause. Just my observations though.

If anyone else has had a similar experience, I would love to hear about it. I seriously thought something was really wrong with me, I couldn't sleep, eat... then found another thread on here. THANK YOU!

Also, I haven't shared the name of the new juice supplier as I may have just had an allergy and I wouldn't want to bad mouth them for that!
Will mt baker ship their flavor shots to Australia? It’s just flavor, no nicotine or base. @Possum64, you’re in Australia, any recommendations on where to get decent juice there?

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
I was wondering why there was a lot of Out of Stock of Mt Baker products. I like Mt Baker juices. Thank you for letting us know. As for the juice, I've had one juice that gave me a sore throat. I stopped using it and the sore throat went away. I tried it again just to see if it was the juice and sure enough it was. Not sure what was in it. I threw the juice away.

• Informative
Reactions: Possum64

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
you’re in Australia, any recommendations on where to get decent juice there?
Hey @NolaMel! I mostly DIY now so unfortunately I don't have any current recommendations for store bought eliquids. There are HEAPS of places here now that do sell flavour shots/one shots though. Someone may come along who has some experience with them.
To @NashHsan many thanks for sharing your experience. I am so glad you have identified the problem and continue enjoying vaping!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: NolaMel

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Cancer sores and thrush are both opportunistic infections.

I've got to agree here. Infants can often get oral thrush, but if an adult gets oral thrush it's an indication that something's wrong and it's crucial to determine the cause. It may be nothing too serious. Certain medications, especially inhaled steroids, can be the culprit, but so can undiagnosed and uncontrolled diabetes, cancer, lupus or anything else that affects the immune system.

@NashHsan, glad to hear you've got the cause sorted and it may not have been thrush.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I can't speak for MTBaker but I do know there are e-cigarette companies operating in Australia who I wouldn't trust. The type that would give you the impression they are selling you US made liquid but if you research more you discover is Chinese.
Most of us know who these brands are as they are also ripping Australian's off. If you are in Australia you should sign up to home forum and do some investigation.
However, I don't think juice is to blame. Good luck whatever, man. :)

NashHsan

Oct 17, 2018
Hi @NashHsan , just curious which juice you changed to that gave you the problem. Ive had a similar experience.

I got the juice from Vapoureyes in NZ... The juice i got was called Heisenberg 9mg Nicotine. My brother uses the same juice and hasn't had a problem...but since stopping this juice, i'm vaping phat ghosties with no problem.

NashHsan

Oct 17, 2018
I was wondering why there was a lot of Out of Stock of Mt Baker products. I like Mt Baker juices. .

I never had a single problem with Mt Baker :( trying to find a new supplier of quality products is hard. I'm trying "Kind Vape" next (awaiting order). it's meant to be all organic and 'kind to trees' juice... so we'll see how that goes

• Optimistic

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
We are all different, suggest you keep looking for that Mt.Baker like e liquid.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread