Forum Admin Supplier & Commercial Manager
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada
Dear ECF community,

As you know, we have had a long-standing community agreement that cannabis related discussions are off limits on ECF. This has never been about any prejudice against cannabis users, but rather a desire to keep ECF single-issue focused, given the importance of vaping in tobacco harm reduction.

You’ll also be aware that there has been recently a spate of serious lung injuries in which contaminated cannabis extracts in vape form are implicated. Sadly, five people are now known to have died from using these products.

There is now approximately zero public differentiation between cannabis and nicotine vaping, despite both being very different technologies. In fact, in their recent advisory, the CDC laid the blame squarely at “e-cigarettes”, which appears to be their own chosen catch all term for vaping technologies.

Accordingly, and we know this will be controversial, we would like to open up a cannabis forum on ECF. In our view, it is now untenable and, indeed, irresponsible to be running “e-cigarette forum” and preventing cannabis consumers from talking about their products here and learning from veterans of vaping technology.
Cannabis Vaping | E-Cigarette Forum

ECF was critical in the early days in establishing norms around the manufacturing and the use of nicotine products. It was our community that first popularised the understanding that oils should never be added to inhaled products. We hope that by including cannabis consumers in our community, we can help address some of the issues that have arisen, and prevent future issues from occurring.

As ever, we want our community to help us to decide how we evolve things going forward, for the time being there will be a specific area for discussions on this topic and some of the previously banned terms have been allowed to enable fruitful discussions. We’ll be monitoring it very closely.

Please let us know your thoughts, and if we’re even using the right terms, it’s new to us, so we need your help!

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
Perhaps I am wrong, but to me it doesn't seem wise to open up discussion encouraging vaping anything but nicotine e-juices. We call them e-cigarettes; not e-joints. I don't think we should be associating ourselves with anything that is being plastered all over the media. Vaping nicotine was about harm reduction for smokers to get off of combustible cigarettes, right? There is already a huge misperception being pushed in the media conflating vaping nicotine with vaping THC, which apparently is being mixed with something that is badly harming people's lungs.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I don't use such products, but agree that it would be potentially useful for some.

The difficulty would be separating non-emotional factual discussions of technology from people interjecting a lot of discussion relative to promoting illegal use (not just in that given sub-forum, but discussion spreading into other areas); ECF has been solid for years about no children and nothing illegal being allowed here. Then again, that's why you and Classy get da big bucks [emoji3]

At least in the US, it is still a federal crime, and has not been legalized everywhere at the state level.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
My wife has been ingesting CDB (just in case) for a while now for medical reasons. It's the only thing that really works for her.

I discovered a few months ago that it could be vaped and got her set up. Apparently you absorb 50% through vaping, as opposed to 20% through dripping under the tongue. That's a big deal because the stuff is expensive.

It was quite hard to do. The sites that sell it are all over the place in terms of how much info they provide. They use different terms for the same thing, and the same term for different things. The first bottle I got was unvapeable. Tried different tanks and wicks and power settings. I'm kind of getting there now.

I looked around for something equivalent to ECF where I could ask questions. What sort of tank to use. Who has the best juice. The forums I found were pretty worthless.

I'm glad you are doing this. It's a needed resource. Maybe a separate area for CDB, separate from the other stuff.

I do think it will be a lot of work keeping it corralled.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm just happy we don't have certain words banned and don't have to come up with creative ways to discuss "the other stuff".

Both industries use the same vape gear. The only difference is the liquid used.

I think it is extremely important to be able to discuss this topic openly at the moment. This tainted cannibus issue is arguably the greatest threat to nicotine replacement vaping that we have ever faced. Even more of a threat than underaged vaping and a flavor ban.

The open discussion on cannabis can be considered to be temporary, based on how things go.

Last edited:

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
I don't like the way the media and powers that be have lumped nicotine in with these other products, but they have. I think a cannabis section of the forum is warranted, even though I don't vape it. I think that if we had a section devoted for these products people could be informed, and possibly avoid some of these horrific injuries being reported. I have learned much at my time here on ECF, and am sure that this could become a valuable resource to those who use those products. Since the media and government authorities seem to be making little distinction between nicotine and cannabis, by opening up the forum to other users, we are also welcoming potential allies in our fight to continue to use the products that have helped all of use break free from combustible tobacco.

Just my :2c:.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I used cannibus recreationally and sparingly in my college years. I chose not to partake once I got gainful employment and where continued use could put my job in jeopardy from random drug testing.

Now that I am retired, I began researching into vaping legal regulated cannibus. I don't care for alcohol, but I would like something to relax with while watching TV at home like some folks have a glass of wine or a few brewskies.

I was able to obtain some THC from a legal dispensary in Colorado. $40 for a clearomizer of 70 - 90% THC. A single hit on one of my regulated mods at 10 watts puts me in a comfortable state of mind. Exactly what I was looking for.

TV and movies are more enjoyable now. Comedies are funnier. :lol: Action stories are more intense.:eek: I even cry during romantic comedies now. :wub:

It seems that both nicotine and cannibus can use the same hardware. The main difference is in the liquids being used.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I'm a cannabis user of 13 years, and was really interested to discover the cartridges at a dispensary nearby recently - but immediately the thought popped into my head that this can't be safe. My e-cig research gave me the knowledge that oils are harmful to vape years ago. Then a couple of weeks later I caught wind of "vaping" causing lung issues, and figured it was those cannabis cartridges and not nicotine juice whatsoever.

I've not looked into the specifics yet, but want to. In the meantime, I'll stick to flower. I'm figuring those cartridges are bad for health by virtue of the oil (full-stop) and I'm also curious how much if any of this is related to tainted/"cut" black market products. I have a friend who lives far away from legal access, and has been buying black market cartridges which he says taste nothing like the legal products. This makes me very nervous for him. I'll be sharing anything I learn with him.

Anyway, I'm torn on whether opening this discussion up on ECF is a good idea or not. But maybe it is. I'll pop in on occasion to discuss and educate myself further. The one thing I will say is it's nice being able to "open up" about another meaningful part of my life in a place where I've always felt I can truly be myself for the most part. Cannabis users (and an increasing number of non-users) are fighting what I'd call the final stretch of the fight for legalization. E-cig users (and many non-users) are fighting to keep this life-saving technology legal and accessible. I think to whatever extent the two can be allied would be beneficial, perhaps. I know some people on ECF will undoubtedly look down upon cannabis, but we're talking about freedom, and the two movements are on similar pages as I see it.

Edit: I'd like to add, since a lot of people seeing this have known me for years on here, just one quick tidbit about my use of cannabis: it's the only recreational drug I use as I do not drink alcohol at all. I use it responsibly, respectfully, and in moderation. My use is largely recreational in purpose, though it is the one thing that reliably helps my insomnia and stress. E-cigs and cannabis are two of the things in my life which I cherish greatly. That's all, just for the sake of full disclosure, I suppose.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm a cannabis user of 13 years, and was really interested to discover the cartridges at a dispensary nearby recently - but immediately the thought popped into my head that this can't be safe. My e-cig research gave me the knowledge that oils are harmful to vape years ago. Then a couple of weeks later I caught wind of "vaping" causing lung issues, and figured it was those cannabis cartridges and not nicotine juice whatsoever.

I've not looked into the specifics yet, but want to. In the meantime, I'll stick to flower. I'm figuring those cartridges are bad for health by virtue of the oil (full-stop) and I'm also curious how much if any of this is related to tainted/"cut" black market products.
The legal dispensaries don't use oil products, although some people may mistakenly call it that. If they did use oil, then there would be the same health crisis that we have been seeing on the news lately from bootleg products made by amateurs. Cannibus liquid for vaping from legal dispensaries has been in use in Colorado for several years and no reported issues. Just be sure to buy from a legal dispensary and not off the street.

Last edited:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
The legal dispensaries don't use oil products, although some people may mistakenly call it that.
Then I have much to learn of what is actually being used. I may be mistakenly calling it oil, because I've heard it called that and it appears to be oil. You're right, in fact. "Oil" wasn't mentioned on the packaging, IIRC.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
"Vitamin E acetate is not an approved additive for New York State Medical Marijuana Program-authorized vape products"

It's unlikely that anything coming through NY official distributors is an issue. The black market stuff tested in NY, however, has consistently been found to have it.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
The legal dispensaries don't use oil products, although some people may mistakenly call it that. If they did use oil, then there would be the same health crisis that we have been seeing on the news lately from bootleg products made by amateurs. Cannibus liquid for vaping from legal dispensaries has been in use in Colorado for several years and no reported issues. Just be sure to buy from a legal dispensary and not off the street.
So this could either be A) the issues are just now popping up years later, B) some of the newer products are using different ingredients than have been used for years in CO/WA/etc or C) it's largely, if not entirely, black-market driven. Hmm...

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
"Vitamin E acetate is not an approved additive for New York State Medical Marijuana Program-authorized vape products"

It's unlikely that anything coming through NY official distributors is an issue. The black market stuff tested in NY, however, has consistently been found to have it.
Whoa. In my case, I was looking at a product at a rec store in Mass. But that last thing you said - you got any links related to that? I've heard of black-market flower being laced in NYS lately but has this also been found for the liquids?

Dr. Seuss

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2019
Considering harm reduction is a main goal of the site I agree that any ‘differences’ some may have toward the cannabis crowd can easily be put aside in the hopes that any and all can come here and better educate themselves.

In doing so I see a mutual gain for both parties involved where the cannabis crew will further learn how to vape safely and avoid risk while the nicotine crowd can gain knowledge on the tactics used by the powers that be in order to deceive the unaware public and slander a specific topic in order to further agendas that benefit nothing but their bottom lines. This is r.efer madness all over again and they’re using the exact same strategies.

With harm reduction and education at the forefront of our focus and set as a common goal I see nothing but good coming from this. We need all the numbers we can get and, it’s always good to have a friend even if you don’t agree on everything all the time.:thumb:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So this could either be A) the issues are just now popping up years later, B) some of the newer products are using different ingredients than have been used for years in CO/WA/etc or C) it's largely, if not entirely, black-market driven. Hmm...
Buy only from legal dispensaries where their product is tested for impurities and quality. Buying from black market sources puts your life at risk.

Dank Vapes Is the "Biggest Conspiracy" in Pot That Can Put You in a Coma | Inverse

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread