canoeing, camping, and vaping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

djwyman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
Lake Charles La
Ok so in a few weeks I am going with some friends of mine to go on a canoeing and camping trip. By this time I will have my new silver bullet in but I am thinking that that beautiful thing should not go with me. So since my backups are my firefly kit (ego style kit) and one lonley 510 battery. what would happen to one of those things getting wet? will they short out or anything? I wil most likely keep my stuff in a ziplock bag except when using them...but what if I am using them and the canoe tumps over or something?

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
I get my eGo's with the rubber buttons wet all the time as I use them to pull apart my CE2's and rinse them under the faucet..but I wouldn't with the ones with the hard plastic or metal buttons because I think water could get into it. I ruined a 510 before trying to carefully rinse it off so if water gets inside it could ruin it.

Maybe you could use some shrink wrap to protect them and still able to access the connector/press the button..but not too tight or it would depress the button discharging the battery. You could always bring a small roll or stuff a baggie of saran wrap to keep them wrapped when you're around water so it doesn't get into the switch or any vents. The sealed connectors in manual e cigs should be pretty water tight.

djwyman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
Lake Charles La
I get my eGo's with the rubber buttons wet all the time as I use them to pull apart my CE2's and rinse them under the faucet..but I wouldn't with the ones with the hard plastic or metal buttons because I think water could get into it. I ruined a 510 before trying to carefully rinse it off so if water gets inside it could ruin it.

Maybe you could use some shrink wrap to protect them and still able to access the connector/press the button..but not too tight or it would depress the button discharging the battery. You could always bring a small roll or stuff a baggie of saran wrap to keep them wrapped when you're around water so it doesn't get into the switch or any vents. The sealed connectors in manual e cigs should be pretty water tight.

so I should rap it up except for the connector to use...Mine is a metal button model.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
so I should rap it up except for the connector to use...Mine is a metal button model.

That's what I would do anywhere you're near water or where it could get wet..I would also leave it in a warm place when you sleep or in a car if you can but not in the sun..because of moisture..if it gets cold and you think it has moisture in it let it warm up and dry before trying to use it.

I mean that's probably being a bit overcautious I have used my PV's out back in the cold when I have a fire in the fire pit they were ok..but electronics don't like being cold then warm condensation forms where you can't see it. I would cover them in a canoe for sure though.

I also wouldn't bring any expensive device unless I had a warm dry place to store it..eGo and 510 batteries are easily replaced. I have brought some electronics camping though like portable CD players, my battery box and inverter they survived ok.

scalewiz

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
Water and electronics simply won't mix. Any battery that has circuitry inside, meaning almost all devices except purely mechanical devices or simple devices like the bolt/roughstack units, will almost certainly be damaged or at least temporarily rendered unusable until dried. Sometimes, things may even become a little dangerous.

An attempt should be made to keep ALL electronics dry, especially lithium battery devices as they can deliver extreme current. This also includes spare batteries.

djwyman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
Lake Charles La
well we go every year on this trip...Last year as a smoker I kept my cigarettes and cell phone dry(it was actually our only flashlight) The way we do it is we load everything up in the canoes travel down the creek a bit and then find a place to set up camp. then party get loud, drunk, roast hotdogs and stuff...pass out then wake up in the morning and and finish the journey. I just kept everything in bags unless using them. take a smoke out of the bag and put the rest back...problem with vapeing is I tend to do it more than I smoked...but I think the way I would do it is put the pv I am using in a zip lock bag pull it out take a few puffs...stuff it back in bag. I most defiantly will not be using my SB out there as I would cry if I messed up my almost $100 pv. But at $15 or so per battery for the ego style I would just be up set I didn't have anything to vape on at that moment.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I can't help thinking about canoeing with a cousin' in the Appalachians. The canoe turned over and we managed to recover everything but, his Vienna Sausages and my Bugles. I got to listen to him gripe about his Vy-enny Sausages all day but, several hours later, we caught up with my bag of Bugles. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread