Can't decide! Buzz Pro or Pro vari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
My $.02 is that you should be comparing the Provari and the Darwin. These are the two by which all others are judged lately, and the little more spent equates to a better experience. Research each and find what works for you, they both have huge followings for a reason. Sorry, but anyone that says they can't push a button 10 times or dial a wheel but are ok with carrying around a jewelers screwdriver to adjust a potentiometer with no readout doesn't compute.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
6 Buzz's and 2 ProVari's in this household...I use the Buzz's and DH uses the ProVari's so guess which one I'll tell you to go with. The ProVari's are nice but have too many things that can go wrong with it plus they are extremely heavy if you use the 18650 battery. The only reason DH uses these is because I won't let him touch my Buzz's.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
6 Buzz's and 2 ProVari's in this household...I use the Buzz's and DH uses the ProVari's so guess which one I'll tell you to go with. The ProVari's are nice but have too many things that can go wrong with it plus they are extremely heavy if you use the 18650 battery. The only reason DH uses these is because I won't let him touch my Buzz's.

Ya this is true the Provari is pretty hefty with the 18650 and extended cap.

Nice to see ya BTW. Hope you are well!

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
put some of that tennis grip tape on it... hah.
I got the Buzz Pro. It is a great vape but it slips in my hand. I wish there were some grooves on it to help me hold it in place. Anyone else have this problem? I've been thinking of putting some sort of tape on it so that I can get a grip.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I don't own a provari. I do own a buzz. My only caution is that from what I understand the provari is limited to 2.5 amps. That means that you are limited to 3.75 V if you use 1.5 ohm dual coils. I've seen posts from people that have a provari but, are using a cheapie madvapes box mod two get more voltage on a dual coil.

I'm not sure what the amp limitation is on a buzz but, I haven't noticed a problem with dual coils and I haven't seen any posts to that effect.

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
The Buzz Pro has a 3amp limit. If you highly prefer the 1.5ohm DC's, then the Provari is probably not for you. Some people get around it by using the 2ohm DC's.

The thing about the Provari is that it is boosting. As a modder who has spent countless hours searching, I can tell you there is currently no booster chip out there with higher than 2.5amp limit, at least not in the consumer market. That is because it can't safely draw more than that in a single battery configuration. Other models that have a higher amp limit are multiple battery configurations with variable regulators.

I don't own a provari. I do own a buzz. My only caution is that from what I understand the provari is limited to 2.5 amps. That means that you are limited to 3.75 V if you use 1.5 ohm dual coils. I've seen posts from people that have a provari but, are using a cheapie madvapes box mod two get more voltage on a dual coil.

I'm not sure what the amp limitation is on a buzz but, I haven't noticed a problem with dual coils and I haven't seen any posts to that effect.

Last edited:

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake
My $.02 is that you should be comparing the Provari and the Darwin. These are the two by which all others are judged lately, and the little more spent equates to a better experience. Research each and find what works for you, they both have huge followings for a reason. Sorry, but anyone that says they can't push a button 10 times or dial a wheel but are ok with carrying around a jewelers screwdriver to adjust a potentiometer with no readout doesn't compute.

The new Buzz doesnt require a screwdriver, same adjustment as the Darwin basically. Adjust voltage not wattage, but same way.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
The Buzz Pro has a 3amp limit. If you highly prefer the 1.5ohm DC's, then the Provari is probably not for you. Some people get around it by using the 2ohm DC's.

The thing about the Provari is that it is boosting. As a modder who has spent countless hours searching, I can tell you there is currently no booster chip out there with higher than 2.5amp limit, at least not in the consumer market. That is because it can't safely draw more than that in a single battery configuration. Other models that have a higher amp limit are multiple battery configurations with variable regulators.

Essentially two different ways of achieving the same goal. With good and bad on both sides.

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
Essentially two different ways of achieving the same goal. With good and bad on both sides.

Yep! The choice is up to the individual which set of "bads" are acceptable.

I'm sure sometimes I may come off a bit fanboyish, but for me, the Provari is the best. I don't use LR or dual coils at all, and the multimeter functions are icing on the cake for me. Not to mention I have learned first hand just how weak an analog POT can be, and I like the whole one battery thing(I drop stuff LOL).

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
put some of that tennis grip tape on it... hah.

Just two or three narrow heat shrink bands... no adhesive and replaceable.

ETA: What is the 'clear' option?

ETAA: Never mind, at less than $141 for the Buzz Pro and batts/charger shipped...it's a no brainer for this ol'
old.gif
's first VV mod!
bounce.gif

Last edited:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Yep! The choice is up to the individual which set of "bads" are acceptable.

I'm sure sometimes I may come off a bit fanboyish, but for me, the Provari is the best. I don't use LR or dual coils at all, and the multimeter functions are icing on the cake for me. Not to mention I have learned first hand just how weak an analog POT can be, and I like the whole one battery thing(I drop stuff LOL).

Well it's easy to fanboi over these newer high end devices. In the time I've been vaping the equipment has turned over 100% and it's all new tech. Totally amazing.

Add to that the fact that you must be a millionaire to have tried it all- and it makes for fun conversation for sure!!

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK
Don't have to be a millionare to try them all cozz, just sell the ones that fail. Sometimes you loose a few bucks, sometimes you don't.

I was trying to hang on to a lot so friends could come over and compare for themselves. What actually started happening was me bankrolling loaner mods to people. . . So I sold all the bad ones, lost very little in the process. Only bad ones I got stuck with in all this time are the vmod and the boge rev2.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I am amazed how easy to sell stuff off.... timing is key, but in general, if it's good quality, buy it, it'll sell... and even stuff that is so so, if it's hot, it'll sell.

I've seen and sold and even bought some stuff over retail $....

Ive kept both Vari and Buzz... when you think of how much is spent on analogs, even with the best stuff, it's a toss up.

mv2envy

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2011
Los Angeles

Buzz Pro also has a 2.5A max limit. Dont know where the 3A people keep saying it has came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread