Can't get good 901's anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnforward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
San Diego
I fell in love with the 901 atty's last year (2010). They lasted 1 to 4 weeks, they tasted so good, they blew-away 510 atty's as far as taste. Then I fell in love with them even more when I got my First Very-able volt battery mod. I would dial them in at 4.4 volts and Tasty Vapors: Waffle, Caramel Popcorn, Tasty Finger and Café Moca tasted even better. And the vapor was so dense and full, I swore I would never stop using them on my Joker V-V. and My ProVeri.
In January 2011 I made an order and they were great as usual. Then in March I ordered some more, and they seemed kinda stale, didn't last very long. Ordered some more a couple weeks later, and they were very DRY like the primer had evaporated, and keep burning the liquid, After-burn after every draw (I hate that sound SSSHHhheeewww). I ordered some place else. Same thing. Ordered some where else, same thing. I wrote myvaporstore (always ordered from them, I like them) stating my concern that I have been getting old and stale 901's and they insured me that they get new shipments every month.
I have been vaping for over a year, and I know all the tricks, I've used Blue Foam and it works fine. The bad 901's started about 5 months ago. Either 1- they made changes to it, 2- they stopped using primer in them, 3- They are really stale and the primer evaporated and left a dry residue on the element causing them to suck.

I really likED the 901's, and wish that would come back again like they use to be.
Any one else have this conundrum? Or am I just UNLUCKY? Should I give up on the 901's like I did with the 801's, ego-tanks, small Cigarette style battery's, Lea-tanks, etc.?
Or, should I just thank my lucky stars I found the CE2 Clearomizer? I cant wait for their new improved CE3's. They are good for the liter flavors. But, I really do miss doing the 901's on 4.4 volt!

Tetsab

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2008
East Sussex, UK
This is such a sad thing, and even worse it isn't for the first time either. The 'original' Sailebaio (SLB) DSE901s seem to go through cycles when they're just brilliant and acquire a load of devoted fans, then the manufacturers muck about with the atty specifications, or change the filler material in the cartridges, then loads of people get really fed up about the fact they won't work properly any more and with much regret sadly go away and find something else to use which will actually do the job. Sometime later they somehow get them fixed and working again and the whole merry-go-round starts all over again.

Trouble is, we're now several 'cycles' down the road from where I first started using them, fell in love etc. late in 2008, stuck with 'em for the most part despite all the hassles but all the while noticing that the 510 was taking over the world and the number of good sellers offering 901s was constantly going down and down.

Well, congratulations, Sailebaio. I think we're now getting close to banging the last few nails into the coffin of the once-great DSE901. And all because you just couldn't resist using the paying consumers to test every specification change instead of testing them yourselves and working out whether the changes actually WERE improvements or not before releasing them on sale. And, from what I hear, then decided to pull stunts like removing the warranty on atomizers and refusing to replace failed ones. Thus holding your customers and everyone else in the supply chain responsible for the fact that your products weren't working properly or were failing ahead of the lifespan they used to have because they were being worked to death in an attempt to get the things to work as they used to, because YOU changed them.

What a bunch of blithering idiots you are, Sailebaio. Just make sure you don't give a bonus to the idiot who thought this was a smart way to go about doing business. Yes, it's certainly true that you aren't the only ones to have done this kind of thing - Microcig and their version 7 release 29 cartomizer foolishness is just as daft a way to go about things but it appears they have got away with it, though I really don't understand how.

Turnforward, it is just possible that if you leave it another couple of months the 901 might come good again. Whether there will be anyone left selling them by then is another matter altogether. Or the CE3 may actually turn out to be streets ahead of the CE2 and you won't even bother to try the 901 again. Even the most loyal customers will eventually reach the point where they will just simply give up on the 901.

What a darned shame. :(

PermInk

Jul 9, 2011
Florida
Well it's nice to know that I am not the only person that noticed there was a change. I bought my generic 901 from a local vendor and it comes with a no questions asked swap out policy for the battery. Mine started to not hold a charge after about 4 months so I went back to exchange it and the one I have now just sucks! I can't use my 901 atty's with it anymore and can only use the carto. Wouldn't ya' know about 2 weeks into the new battery it died so I made it a pt. I lose ohms at the carto so now it doesnt produce a good vap :(

bonniegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2009
South Jersey USA
Agree 100% with Tetsab..............SLB figured out that that wonderful 901 atomizer was lasting too long and well..............one must sell, sell, sell...........there was a time that a box of five SLB attys would last me months.............ahhhhhhh the good ole days! Everyone wants the new and bright and shiny new things and what was once a fine love affair has turned to muck.........I so miss the old 901 atty so much. It was a wonderful lil work horse.....lasted forever and the taste and vapor production unmatched. But..........wait, they will produce a good bunch and when they do..............STOCKPILE! It will happen, it always does......one must be patient. They must dangle the carrot first, back off quality to sell, sell, sell and then dangle again. Genius business plan for them, heartbreak for those of use so devoted to that tasty atty. R.I.P for now 901 and I await your resurrection.

turnforward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
San Diego
Thanks for responding to my post. The last order I made, I wrote them back and told them my problem with the 901's lately and asked if they would exchange them with standard 510 atty's, and they said that they would. I have been using the 510's that I got with my last order and they work fine. They don't taste as good as the 901's use to, when they worked. And they always have slowly seeped liquid through the atty (510), and siphon up the mouthpiece sometimes. But if I want to use my ProVeri at higher voltages, I guess I'll have to get use to it.
I have tried the new Smoke-tech duel coil mega catro. It tastes really really good for three to four refills, and it works really good at 4.5 volts. I just might exclusively use them on my big battery V-V.

It seems that every PV has its inconsistency and problems. I think that sometime soon, somebody will get the manufacturing process, and tech down perfectly. And I think that that will come from American ingenuity.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
quote: "It seems that every PV has its inconsistency and problems. I think that sometime soon, somebody will get the manufacturing process, and tech down perfectly. And I think that that will come from American ingenuity."

i agree with the American ingenuity part regarding PV's, but you are talking about attys no?
It doesn't seem that anyone in U.S. is manufacturing atomizers... even the new rebuildable attys coming out now are from Europe... certainly not China.
The Chinese builders seem to take their cues from us here as to what we want... only after the vendors decide what they can do in mass quantities, to keep the costs down.. because that's why they go there.

Regardless, all attys are made in the far east, and as far as i know they are all expendable... perhaps by design. I dont like it, and i imagine as soon as those rebuildable's get popular, you'll see them mass produced in kits... hopefully they'll realize that durability is the goal here.

I too fell in love with the DSE 901 regular atty too, around 6 months ago; after 6 months with 510's and 306's and some LR 901's for my "3.7" pv's.
When i got my Provari, and found that i could get the optimal vape out of any atty, i settled with the DSE 901reg (2.8 to 3.0 Ohm).
When i realized they last me around a week, I fussed and looked into Fusion carto's, Dual Coils, and tried the SR 510's which seem to last a "little" longer...

Face it; attys today are expendable... and if like me you drip almost exclusively (a Pyrex D/T is a must imo :)) ... and you don't want to use a carto or a tank whatever, you buy bulk.
I get 10 pak dse 901's at less than $4.00 per unit and i toss them when they die (5 to 12 days)... gladly (only because i can afford it currently).

I have never tried them earlier than this year or late 2010.... but like so much else, it seems, you can't get the better quality even if you pay more.
[I can't find a good seer-sucker shirt anymore... what quality i got from a "good" vendor 7or 8 years ago for $10 cannot even be gotten for $25 -30 bucks}

I still can't find a better all around atty than the DSE 901... and i've tried just about all of em out there.

turnforward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
San Diego
Thanks ukeman for responding.

It doesn't seem that anyone in U.S. is manufacturing atomizers... even the new rebuildable attys coming out now are from Europe... certainly not China.
The Chinese builders seem to take their cues from us here as to what we want...

There is no quivering that China for a long time will be the manufacturing capitol of the world. No matter your political, capitalist views are. The market price for items always comes from the consumer. I don't think that I would buy an e-cig if its price was $289.99, and atty's for $27.97 a piece. Every item coming into market goes through market research, and one of the questions asked is "What is this product worth, and how much would you spend to obtain it?". And that answer always dictates where it will be made.

My point was derived from my experiences in the early 1990's, when manufacturing switched from Japan to China. Everything, especially electronics, were from china. My friends and I use to piece together our own P-C's. I remember, ALL THE TIME, going to places like FRY's and buying a modem card. Bringing it home and inserting it in the motherboard,,, it didn't work!!! Take it back and they would just throw it in the trash and give me another one. And the same thing, it didn't work. Take it back --in the trash-- give me another one. WOOHOO it worked. The same with sound cards, video cards, etc... Major brand shoe company's started using China, and for a while all you would see was threads hanging out all over the place, and crooked stitches, etc...
Then the company's having China manufacture for them, went over there to over-see, and install QAULITY control. Now they don't have any problems anymore.

That is the problem we are having now: "QUALITY CONTROL". CASE IN POINT: The CE2 Clearomizer.
The first two boxes I bought worked great. I noticed that the element on the wicks (since in these, you can see them) were always different. Some of them had the element wound close and even, some stretched apart, some uneven. And they did slightly differ in taste and TH. But they did wick great. The next two boxes I bought, didn't wick as good and the first two. THEN I NOTICED THE DIFFERENCE, the rubber cap that held the cup and wick in place was scrunched to tight on it, causing the wick strand to be pinched, not allowing the fluid to penetrate. The first two boxes didn't have this problem. I was able to fix it by using an Exacto-knife to cut out the rubber by the wick, now it wicks better than even the first two boxes.

ALL IT TAKES IS EXTRA ATTENTION TO DETAIL!!! Personal Vaporizers will get there. They could GET THERE RIGHT NOW IF: we don't settle, and hold their feet to the fire!

Thanks for listening!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread