Car passthrough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
So I've been happily vaping for almost 2 weeks now, on a m402 I got from litecig.
The only problem I've had thus far is the fact that I opted for automatic batteries, and I underestimated the effect that the loud speakers I use when I deejay set them off quite easily. I left a show a few days ago only to find that I'd drained my batteries completely- thankfully I didn't burn out the attys in the process, but they did need some light cleaning.
Though I'm planning to get a manual battery or two to use during shows, I'm thinking I probably need to get a usb passthrough as well, just in case. I also spend a fair amount of time in my car commuting for my day job, and travelling to shows.

On litecig's description page for the car-usb adapter, shawn specifically states that while it's fine for recharging batteries, that it's not suitable for usb passthrough power requirements.

So, down to brass-tacks: Has anyone heard of, or better had any experience with, any sort of car-dc or usb... "power boost"?

I think the most elegant solution would be an inline charger that powers a secondary battery which in turn feeds the passthrough (much like some other passthroughs already have)

If possible, I'd like to use something that's still going to be compatible with my m-series atomizer without having to mod it myself, hence posting here instead of in the modders section. The power boost would therefore be on the car dc or the usb plug side, I believe... or am I just overthinking this?

Last edited:

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I've manage to conquer the NicoStick, but other wise RW (DH) does the modding. He is working on a car mod for me now. I’m waiting anxiously because I'd love it if I never had to use a battery again.
I’ve used the USB but my favorite is just being connected to the wall plug in---it’s so usable anywhere---well, of course, except for the car.

PhoenixRising

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2009
Concord, NC USA

Pretty cool. Do you happen to have the specs on this one? I am curious if it will work to power two Passthroughs since it has two ports. I find that most of them spread the power and are incapable of doing so, but it would be nice to have something hubby and I could share on a long drive.

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
A small update, I ended up ordering a different model than posted and am waiting on it now.
The one posted is a 800ma model, and I actually found a 1000ma (1a) single port. Obviously both are a big step up from the common 200ma car adapters which wouldn't support the passthrough.
Without knowing the draw requirements I can't say if the two port can support two PT's, but I'd bet if you don't both puff at the same time, you'll probably be just fine, and maybe even then...

HighHeeledGoddess

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
I use this one successfully with all my PTs including the M401/M402

BestOfferBuy

Thank you for the link! I bought the white side by side, because the USB car charger I have does not work with my new cordless battery chargers. :oops: Fortunately, I drive a VW, and the Germans were wise enough to put 4 cigarette outlets in that car, but no ashtray or actual lighter. 8-o
I could have 4 people in my car all vaping from their own outlets. I also finally found a use for the flower vase on the dash board - it makes the perfect little e-cig holder.

I'm going to put the new side by side to work charging batteries while I plug in the PT I'll be ordering into the old charger.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
This I know, I have one, is a true 5V 2amp (1amp each port) dual car plug. This one will take you a while to get - 10 days.

usbfever.com - Accessories for USB Gadgets, PC, iPhone / iPod, PDA / Phone Accessories, Charger, Bike / Car Mounts

If you go here, you might want to pick up this... which allows you to use the plug above from a wall socket - it works! Designate "US style" plug.

usbfever.com - Accessories for USB Gadgets, PC, iPhone / iPod, PDA / Phone Accessories, Charger, Bike / Car Mounts

This one below, I also have, is 5V with one port at 1amp continuous and the other port 'quick charge' a 1amp peak, 500mA continuous. It has been used with two PT's. The one on the quick charge still works and vapes but not quite as well as the 1amp which is like vaping with a normal batt.
To use a battery charger on the quick charge while you are vaping on the PT, you have to have the corded usb that has a regular narrow usb plug vs. the non corded usb chargers (innovapor's for example) where the body of the plug is too wide to share the space with a PT usb plug.

Belkin Dual USB Car Charger for iPod (Black) - F8Z280-01 - Buy.com

Just for links sake, here's a full dual 1amp each port, wall plug:

Amazon.com: SE-2USB: High Power Slim AC Wall Plug to 2 x 5V USB Adapter (Retractable US Plug): Everything Else

The better deal on a 2amp wall plug is here:
USB Dual Power Adapter

Quitter

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Would that work with the 5v puresmoker ps?

The Puresmoker PT draws alot of amperage - 1.5 to 2 amps. Most USB cigarette adapters aren't rated high enough. I ordered a 2 amp unit to run my PS PT. Still haven't gotten it yet. Can't wait though! The PS PT is awesome and will be great in the car.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
The Puresmoker PT draws alot of amperage - 1.5 to 2 amps. Most USB cigarette adapters aren't rated high enough. I ordered a 2 amp unit to run my PS PT. Still haven't gotten it yet. Can't wait though! The PS PT is awesome and will be great in the car.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a PS PT on order. Right now I use a modified nicostick wired for USB. I connect my Kensington power pack to the car adapter USB and connect my PT to the Kensington power pack. Works real well and I will use that same mobile set up once I get the PS PT.

Kevin

I have been looking for a solution to this problem with my m401.

Here the predicament and questions to go along with it. I have a USB PT for the 401 and it vapes crazy. More vapor with the passthrough, better throat hit and all around awesome. Here's the rub. . . It works great like this on my laptop and on the PS3. However it doesn't work at all with the car adapter that I have. The car adapter is rated 5Vdc with a max amperage of 500mA or a half amp. When I called around to the computer retailers, they said that a computer USB is rated at 5v and 500mA. Pretty sure thats not right. But that is what they said. I have an inverter that has a USB port on it. The 401 PT will power the atty, but just barely. I tried a friends AC converter wall plug charger for their phone rated at 5V 700mA, nothing.

I have seen some specs thrown around of 1300mA. All I know is that the USB ports on my laptop and PS3 power the PT, but others don't (car adapter, plug charger, cable box). I guess I just need to break down and buy a tester. (must have for making mods anyway). If anyone finds one that work with a m401 PT and works well, please post! ! !

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I have been looking for a solution to this problem with my m401.

Here the predicament and questions to go along with it. I have a USB PT for the 401 and it vapes crazy. More vapor with the passthrough, better throat hit and all around awesome. Here's the rub. . . It works great like this on my laptop and on the PS3. However it doesn't work at all with the car adapter that I have. The car adapter is rated 5Vdc with a max amperage of 500mA or a half amp. When I called around to the computer retailers, they said that a computer USB is rated at 5v and 500mA. Pretty sure thats not right. But that is what they said. I have an inverter that has a USB port on it. The 401 PT will power the atty, but just barely. I tried a friends AC converter wall plug charger for their phone rated at 5V 700mA, nothing.

I have seen some specs thrown around of 1300mA. All I know is that the USB ports on my laptop and PS3 power the PT, but others don't (car adapter, plug charger, cable box). I guess I just need to break down and buy a tester. (must have for making mods anyway). If anyone finds one that work with a m401 PT and works well, please post! ! !

Yeah... first thing would be to make sure the car plug worked on other stuff. If so then it is getting juice but you're better off with at least a one amp plug:

Car DC to USB Adapter 1000mA

Cheezit

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
North Central Texas
I have been looking for a solution to this problem with my m401. <snip>

I have this one:

Search Results | Walgreens

It works fine with my M401 PT. You need at least 1000ma of output. Those 500-750ma devices just won't power it. This is a dual, but it shares the output, so I don't plug anything else in while vaping. I picked it up in store.
However, I'm eyeing that 2 amp one Kent posted. More power! :evil:

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA

Mine works on the 1A adapter I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread