Cartimizer bad taste, blank freshly filled, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started on a new one last night. Put 20 drops in it and sure some went down the middle hole. Tried them this morning and they taste nasty. Blew in a paper towel and got a spec of juice, not much. I do use a blend that is very mild in flavor (my own mix). My regular 510 atty's taste fine. I have now tried 2. Maybe flooded the 1st one but just 20 drops in the 2nd one.:confused:

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
I started on a new one last night. Put 20 drops in it and sure some went down the middle hole. Tried them this morning and they taste nasty. Blew in a paper towel and got a spec of juice, not much. I do use a blend that is very mild in flavor (my own mix). My regular 510 atty's taste fine. I have now tried 2. Maybe flooded the 1st one but just 20 drops in the 2nd one.:confused:

Really sorry your having a bad experience. I'm trying to think of any way I can help you that the others have not already mentioned. The only thing I do not see is rather you are using a mod with ONE battery...3.7V...or more than one battery so the voltage is higher? It would help to know what exactly your using.

Also I see you mentioning your own blend juice. What exactly does that mean? Can you give an idea of your recipe...what ingredients are in it? Or is it a combination of pre-made juices ?

Madvapes is a good company. Have you tried calling them on the phone and asking for help? It is always possible..not likely but it does happen...that you got a bad box of cartos. They could walk you through a dissection and make sure everything is correct.

There is definately something we are missing here...if you can use an atty and are happy with it you should definately be having no trouble with a 510 carto. So we'll keep trying until we get it figured out. :)

btw....when did you buy these?

ps....If you are interested I will be happy to trade with you one of yours with a different brand of mine. That way I can test yours and you can see if maybe just a different brand might give you better luck. PM me with your address if you would like to try this.

Last edited:

Grammie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2009
Virginia, Well Steeped
I've had some cartos like the OP. I figured out what to do with them, fill them with juice, put caps back on. Let them sit for a while (at least a few hours), then add more juice. I find leaving them alone overnight, there's no bad tasted. I think it may be a wicking problem that time fixes.

Last edited:

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Grammie that sounds very reasonable. Especially if you combine a wicking problem with VG juice...

knifemaker....try thinning your juice down with a touch of some type of alcohol...for 5ml of juice put in 2-3 drops of vodka,bourbon,whatever you like. If you don't want to use alcohol use distilled water. But the alcohol will give you better vapor and flavor based on your recipe. The do what Grammie suggests....fill and let sit overnight...do not try using it..not even one hit...until it has sat 12hrs. Let us know if it works!

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Dudeman....why arn't you in our club????? LOL

Here's the "big secret" about cartos....different retail vendors...although they may buy from the same manufacturer....are NOT selling the exact same product. So you might buy 510 cartos from XYZ and not like them....but buy what appears to be the exact same carto from ABC and love them. So the trick is to find a seller who will actually talk to you. And the question you want to ask is this..." what if anything makes your cartomizers any different than anyone elses?". Granted....maybe they will not tell you the exact details for fear of their design tweeks being copied...but they should be willing to give you some type of satisfactory answer...other than "I'm such a nice guy"...or.....pretty colors.

Don't give up on the 510's folks....there is new stuff coming out withing weeks....it should be better than what's out there now. Also....just try a different manufacturer...companies like Vapor Kings gives you a choice...they will clearly state..Made by Boge....or Made by SLB....and usually state the ohm rating as well. If they don't just email and ask..they will tell you. Madvapes is also a company that is very transparent...they always tell you exactly what your buying. AquaVapor is another. There are surely many more....but don't give up on the device itself...people are working hard to develop a really good one. :)

knifemaker....no worries...I think most of us are in it for the long haul here. Lot's of people will be happy to help you. Cartos are made in batches and yes,there are some better than others. But if your using pure VG juice with real cooking grade Boubon Vanilla...that could also be a problem. Cartos are not going to vaporize as efficiently and using cooking ingredients in e-juice usually doesn't work well. Unfortunately....the atomizer may be getting hot enough to vaporize the flavor of the vanilla properly but the carto may not. Just a possibility. Have you tried any high quality ready made juices? You might like a good RY4 .

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Ive had the same issue - but honestly they are cheap I jsut chalked it up to 'its a crap one' and moved on. I've had a pack where I think 2 of the 5 gave an awful taste - 2 were pure heaven to use and one is just ok. I threw away the yukky ones, used the great ones till I couldnt get a draw any more (then chucked those) and the 'ok' one is sort of an emergency carto lol Life is too short to spend it messing with cheap items hoping they'll work better when its obvious they are buggered imo.
I drip anyway so I just went back to that. Cartos are pretty nice but I stick with dripping and just keep the cartos for long journeys now.

SuZamme

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
flick it like and old mercury thermometer to get the juice back into the filling. (not my idea, but seems way more convenient in public than removing your sock and spinning it above your head.

lol, lol, lol, you are Funny. My question is then how are we to recognize other carto users in public places...only one sock on and the other spinning around?

The flick method does work really well.

SuZamme

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've had some cartos like the OP. I figured out what to do with them, fill them with juice, put caps back on. Let them sit for a while (at least a few hours), them add more juice. I find leaving them alone overnight, there's no bad tasted. I think it may be a wicking problem that time fixes.

I have the same cartos from MadVapes and this is exactly what I do. I have even put a freshly filled on one of my regular 510 batts and vape it awhile and then put it on 5v and I'm good to go for hours.

I have discovered that different juices vape differently in the 5v vs regular PVs. Try the earlier suggestions of using different juice, perhaps one that has a stronger flavor or different viscosity.
The carto I'm using now has been in use for 2 weeks and I do give it a rest every so often and let the carto just sit for awhile after I freshly fill it. I'm adding 10-13 drops each refill.

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
What everybody else said :)

OP...I hope you didn't interpret my answers as implying that you were necesarrily doing anything "wrong"....it is true....cartos can be hit and miss...I personally don't think that is right but it is reality at this time. So you could just have gotten a bad box....it still has worked for me to have a relationship with a couple sellers you can trust. That way when this kind of thing happens hopefully they listen to you and offer to replace the items. :p

daisyd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Az
lol, lol, lol, you are Funny. My question is then how are we to recognize other carto users in public places...only one sock on and the other spinning around?

The flick method does work really well.

I am constantly scolding my kids for swinging things around (neclaces, power cords, etc...), I'm saving this method for when they're teenagers and want a ride to the mall. :D

Toker

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Georgia
First vape I had on a 510 carto wasn't great at all. It was very dull and just an all out bland taste.

After a few days it grew on me, now two weeks into it and it's awesome. I ran my first carto for 2 weeks, it just died today and when I say died....I mean died! I guess it burnt up, cause I never got a burnt taste, but today it just stopped producing any flavor or vapor.

What I found works for me with the 510 cartos:
1) I fill them with anywhere from 30-40 drops
2) Then wipe down and lightly (very lightly) blow through from the mouth piece end into a towel
3) Then I let it rest for 5-10 minutes (times vary)
4) Then add another 10-20 drops or until you see liquid bubble out the battery end.
5) Just give a very light quick blow again through the mouth piece end into a towel.
6) If you get very little liquid out when blowing through, then hook to battery and give it a short vape test.

Granted, I'm only on my second carto, but when I did this method on the second one, it worked PERFECT! My guess is, with all the filler material in it, it needs more time to soak it up.

With cartos, I think it's best to top it off often (if you are a heavy vapor) or at least daily (if you are a casual vapor), that is less chance that it will run dry and start burning the filler material.

:2c: from a nub

WitchWay

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I had a bad taste with the Boge at first also and something no one has mentioned doing yet is to take it out of the plastic wrapper and let it sit for a day. The first few I used right out of the plastic wrapper and they had a bad taste. I tried again but this one was removed from the wrapper and had sat for a day before I filled it. That one had no bad taste. It was an accident it sat for a day, it wasn't planned but it worked out. So there is another trick for you to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread