Carto Mystery? Or Something Else? Expert Help Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
You can try it and see if you can determine if it's too tight, you can also try and loosening up the filler on the carto's you do have if you want to try and save them. I can't say you will be able to determine much this way or not though. That's problem number 1, I don't have a good way to tell you if they are good or bad, it's been this way for years, it's a crap shoot! Problem number 2, unless you have a good vendor to stand behind them, you still have a bad batch of carto's you can't use! I'd get ahold of the vendor and see if there is something they will do on their end to make this right. Then if they can't/wont, I'd try and find a way to make them usable.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
FYI The needle I use is not blunt. I have a 14 gauge pointed needle and it goes down the side of the carto with no problem. I did get some new blunt 14 gauge needles and I cannot get them in the Boges at all. I'm going to sharpen them with a grinder or stone so I can use them. I know this seems like a PITA, but I can tell you when the Boges are filled this way, the vape is incredible and they last 2 to 3 weeks. I've been using this method to fill Boges for over 6 months with not one burnt carto. Yes they packed very tightly, and for this reason I think syringe filling is the only way to fill them properly. My rule of thumb is when I get juice starting to come out the drilled holes then I pull the needle up slowly and fill the rest of the carto. For me this method is even quicker than drip filling a Smotech carto. Truth is after using the Boges, I can't even use Smoktech now, there is so much difference in the flavor.

There are vendors that had recommended to only fill Boges using a syringe.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
FYI The needle I use is not blunt. I have a 14 gauge pointed needle and it goes down the side of the carto with no problem. I did get some new blunt 14 gauge needles and I cannot get them in the Boges at all. I'm going to sharpen them with a grinder or stone so I can use them. I know this seems like a PITA, but I can tell you when the Boges are filled this way, the vape is incredible and they last 2 to 3 weeks. I've been using this method to fill Boges for over 6 months with not one burnt carto. Yes they packed very tightly, and for this reason I think syringe filling is the only way to fill them properly. My rule of thumb is when I get juice starting to come out the drilled holes then I pull the needle up slowly and fill the rest of the carto. For me this method is even quicker than drip filling a Smotech carto. Truth is after using the Boges, I can't even use Smoktech now, there is so much difference in the flavor.

There are vendors that had recommended to only fill Boges using a syringe.

I used to fill them this way and they work great but I hate using syringes so now I just fill from the top and do the Taryan (sp) spin now and they still work great. When my carto filler is too dry it's because I didn't put big enough holes in the cartos. I use 100% VG so need big holes.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Temporary help/fix until you find better cartos or otherwise solve the problem:

Thin the juice. It will improve wicking since they obviously work for a while.

Since you said you have DIY supplies....use less VG. Like 10% max...not 40%. That will help it wick. Also, you can thin a bottle of juice a bit by adding a couple drops (literally 2 drops) of water to 10 or 20 ml of juice.

I'm not saying the juice is the whole problem here. However, you can't get burnt taste unless it drys up and it can't dry up if it's wicking properly. And they start out OK. So.......worth experimenting with, IMO.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

BassPlayersWife

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2013
Spicewood Tx
Moved to Assorted PV Topics - Cartomizers

Wow, The Specter of Death moved my post... how terrifying.

I am looking into the Taryan Spin. I have heard people mention it but havent seen it done. I will go find a vid. I do wish I had a needle to fill with but we only have blunt tips, and as stated (and tried anyway, lol), it wont work. The new cartos should be here this week.

BassPlayersWife

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2013
Spicewood Tx
I'd imagine you could just hold them closed with your fingers, I think that would be enough. I don't use poly filled cartos so I never got one, but I always liked the idea. Maybe one day I'll buy one just for the heck of it.:D

What kind of carto are you using? And can it be used in a tank?

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
.... I have made sure that the tank stays upright
I always lay mine on the side as I've found the top of the filler is often dry, even on 'leakers'.

And I still like these for no hassle use when out and about, a romp at a bar etc. Had a couple surprises with carto tanks.

ego-mega-dual-coil-clear_wm.jpg

Hours of vaping and it's a snap to see if they are properly saturated. And a nice big target for topping off. :)

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
What kind of carto are you using? And can it be used in a tank?

I guess you could say I'm sort of old school in that regard, I use CE2's in MAP tanks. They were the first tanks to the best of my knowledge. All the top coil with wick devices are supposed to be improvements, but I've never really found anything that works and taste as good as the MAP tanks. CE2's are getting harder to find though, but i've stocked up, have around a 2 year supply. Many people don't like CE2's, but I have no problem with them at all, at least when they are cut and put in the MAP tanks. Here's a vid for a visual, the vid doesn't really tell you much. 2 CE2 map tanks mods vaping at 4.5v - YouTube

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I normally use a syringe to fill, but Issac, at Ikenvape, told me on the phone one day a more better way he uses. Take the top cap off the tank, insert the caro, fill the tank and as you push the top cap on the tank and carto it will force juice into the carto, then turn it all upside down and let the overfill run towards the top and wet the top filler material. Sometimes it takes a few drops on the top to wet all the filler material. Then Baditude brought up his problem with this method, it can, and usually does, flood the carto.
As I'm old school, it doesn't bother me much, I've dealt with tons of flooded carto's in the past! Get a tissue paper, paper towel, put the drip tip on and blow through the drip tip with the paper towel/etc. on the battery end. You will get a drop or two and may have to do this a couple of times. But I really don't find it to be as much of a deal as others seem to.
But honestly, the syringe is the BEST way to know for sure it's pre-filled for sure.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I always lay mine on the side as I've found the top of the filler is often dry, even on 'leakers'.

And I still like these for no hassle use when out and about, a romp at a bar etc. Had a couple surprises with carto tanks.

ego-mega-dual-coil-clear_wm.jpg

Hours of vaping and it's a snap to see if they are properly saturated. And a nice big target for topping off. :)

Just my opinion, I've had more problems with those than anything else I've tried! Seems it's 50/50 if they will work or not! Nothing like loading one of them up with juice and having it not work because the center pin didn't make contact with the battery post! I'll never buy them again!

BassPlayersWife

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2013
Spicewood Tx
I normally use a syringe to fill, but Issac, at Ikenvape, told me on the phone one day a more better way he uses.
But honestly, the syringe is the BEST way to know for sure it's pre-filled for sure.

I just ordered that plunger thingie, and we have syringes on the way as well as they will get here quicker than we can get to town and get one, lol. I will do the Taryn Spin method until other things start arriving. Looks like the first batch of Kangers will be here today, but not the xl for the IBTanks yet.

I will try anything to get a great vape. Tell me to hang upside down from the ceiling.. I will do it.. If i have to light candles and dance naked around the room praying to the Vape Gods.. that works too ;)

Anything to stay away from analogs. I actually craved one today. Current carto has three holes in it. I pumped juice in this thing until it ran everywhere, then i did it again, and again, and again, then i let it sit for an hour an did it yet again.. I have no problem blowing out a carto. After this last week, I would rub the juice on my skin if i thought it would work :/

*edit. Just checked, atty is now at 1.9 WTH?

Last edited:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I just ordered that plunger thingie, and we have syringes on the way as well as they will get here quicker than we can get to town and get one, lol. I will do the Taryn Spin method until other things start arriving. Looks like the first batch of Kangers will be here today, but not the xl for the IBTanks yet.

I will try anything to get a great vape. Tell me to hang upside down from the ceiling.. I will do it.. If i have to light candles and dance naked around the room praying to the Vape Gods.. that works too ;)

Anything to stay away from analogs. I actually craved one today. Current carto has three holes in it. I pumped juice in this thing until it ran everywhere, then i did it again, and again, and again, then i let it sit for an hour an did it yet again.. I have no problem blowing out a carto. After this last week, I would rub the juice on my skin if i thought it would work :/

*edit. Just checked, atty is now at 1.9 WTH?

I'm so sorry dear, I'm pulling out all the stops trying to help, I promise!

BassPlayersWife

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2013
Spicewood Tx
I'm so sorry dear, I'm pulling out all the stops trying to help, I promise!

I know you are. I trust you and Baditude implicitly. You guys have been there from the first "hello" posts, and we notice and appreciate it. I am not sure why Baditudes posts arent in the sticky sections, and have asked mods (the writing, post moving, kind of mods, not the vaping ones...well, i might vape one if I thought i could get a a great vape cloud from him/her ;) ).

You two are masters and helpful for sure.

Vaping is strange. It cycles. When we first started as true noobs with ego's and CE4's, i was so happy with them, lol. Never even looked at an analog again. Then they started with the dry hits, and burned hits.. two weeks with one CE4 and it was so great. Then the ViVi-novas on twists.. I thought it was Heaven, but it was really just Paradise.. Provaris with ViVi Novas was great too, until we moved up to carto tanks.. now that is really Heaven. ViVi's just are not doing it for me after carto/tanking. I prefer carto/tanks over anything. Now this.

I have searched for anything we could be doing wrong, anything at all. We went from feeling like confident carto/tankers, to "toddlers" all over again. I miss the first three weeks of carto/tanking.

I do this thing.. I like to vape "hard." I get this circle of vaping going, mouth to nose, repeat till HUGE clouds of vapor appear. Then the big inhale and wow.. I can fill a room with vapor in under 1 minute when its really good. The taste, the vapor.. i love it. Now I cant do that anymore and i miss it.

Down to 1.7, 3.o volts. Atty started at 2.2 :(

I am staring at the clock, mail wont be here for an hour with the kangers. I guess i need to break out the vivi novas again. I refuse to waste one more drop of juice.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
If you heat a dry coil it degrades....usually increasing the ohms. But, it may even melt a section of coil together....decreasing the ohms. The coil wires get almost, but not quite, liquid and move around.

Back to the dry coil issue. Did you try what I said about the juice? Did it work...albeit for a temporary fix?

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Wow, The Specter of Death moved my post... how terrifying.

I am looking into the Taryan Spin. I have heard people mention it but havent seen it done. I will go find a vid. I do wish I had a needle to fill with but we only have blunt tips, and as stated (and tried anyway, lol), it wont work. The new cartos should be here this week.

Sorry. I thought I included the youtube vid for the Taryan Spin. The Taryn Spin 2011....Everything You Need To Know - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread