Not open for further replies.

dandelionwings

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2011
Lexington, KY
[h=2]
icon1.png
Carto panic...please help[/h]
Hi everyone! On one hand, I'm ecstatic that I got my T-Rex and I bought the kit with5 cartos thinking that with refilling that will do until another pay period, but I'm afraid that may not be the case. I filled 2 immediately using the condom (plastic end piece method) and tried them both out without any problems. I stored one in my case to take to work, yesterday and was vamping the other. the one iwas vaping was fine for my stealth hits at work and when I left work I had a couple of "hot" hits, but still getting good vape but I thought it was a good time to change. My stored one wouldn't hit at all! I looked at it still appeared saturated. Tried it again to no avail and then added a couple of drops---still no vape!!! Then I tried the first again, and it still had the hot taste---opened it an the is a burnt hole in the top of the filter! :( thinking I was doing something wrong, I went on YouTube and watched several vids including doctorvapoor and it looks like I was filling them correctly. So last night, I filled my last three---tested and they seem fine. I'm scared that I may have the same issue tonight. If so, any suggestions? Is this normal? Sadly, I filled them with 12 mg and that doesn't seem to be enough nic this morning lol but that's another story heh.
Any thoughts would be appreciated and any suggestions on inexpensive refillable cartos would be appreciated too since I'm now panicking. Thanks :)

[i placed this originally in technical maint. section, but i guess that was the wrong area since there wasn't a reply and i'm really panicky] thanks again :D

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Cartos do not last forever and some do die a quick death due to manufacturing variabilty. I would pick up some blank Boge LR (low resistance) 510 cartos. Many suppliers carry them. Liberty-flights, Nhaler etc. Normally I can get about 30mls of juice through these before they are junk. Juice type and vape style may cause your milage to be different. There are many methods to fill a carto but the one that I find that works the best is a usuing a dropper bottle with a sryringe needle attached. Drive the needle along the wadding and side wall to the bottom of the carto and pull up slowly as you fill. Simple, fast and no mess. Bottles with needle tops can be found at many ECF listed Suppliers.

dandelionwings

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2011
Lexington, KY
i'll definitely look for the boge lr. i didn't expect these to last forever, but i'm not sure if you read that this was after their first use. the one that was stored was only hit a few times to test and then i stored it to use the next day, but the other one was used early the next day and most of the day before i started having the issues--and that is the one that started to give me the "hot" hits.

Slappy369

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2011
Philadelphia
Cartos do not last forever and some do die a quick death due to manufacturing variabilty. I would pick up some blank Boge LR (low resistance) 510 cartos. Many suppliers carry them. Liberty-flights, Nhaler etc. Normally I can get about 30mls of juice through these before they are junk. Juice type and vape style may cause your milage to be different. There are many methods to fill a carto but the one that I find that works the best is a usuing a dropper bottle with a sryringe needle attached. Drive the needle along the wadding and side wall to the bottom of the carto and pull up slowly as you fill. Simple, fast and no mess. Bottles with needle tops can be found at many ECF listed Suppliers.

This is also my preferred method. Nothing better than a 30 ml bottle with a syringe attached. Took me 6 months to figure that little factoid out.

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
Wow, never thought of that. Going to try that when I get home.

As to burning: if you vape a lot, you might only get an hour or two before needing to switch or top off. On average, people vape 3-5mg of juice daily which means 3-5 standard cartos in a day.

Why your brand new one burnt, I can't say, but might just be a lemon.

Sent from my easy chair using brainwaves.

DaBatMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Wayne Manor
maybe you just got a dud, I buy boge carto 50 to 100 at a time (they're cheaper that way and you always) and it seems like there is always 1 or 2 in a 50 pack

I use boge too but need to find a place that sells in bulk I supposed because without fail at least once or twice per month the stainless steel version is out of stock everywhere. Probably due to you? JK

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
I use boge too but need to find a place that sells in bulk I supposed because without fail at least once or twice per month the stainless steel version is out of stock everywhere. Probably due to you? JK

I just bought 300 cartos from Health Cabin during the christmas sale. Wife and I should be good to go for a while.. But she blows through one a day.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I use tanks with my cartos now but before I did I topped my carto off about once an hour. It sounds to me as if you may have let carto #1 get too dry. They will burn if you take draws when they are too dry. That is the great thing about a tank. Fill it with 3-5 mls of juice and you don't have to refill the carto at all. Once the tank gets low you just refill the tank :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Cartos vary sometimes. Almost all the Boge 2.0 cartos I fill using the condom method soak up the juice quickly (100%pg). Yesterday, I started on a new box and the first one didn't seem to absorb the juice well. I always fill the long silicone cap 2/3 full of juice and then insert the cart. I normally see all the juice soak in. This time there was about 2 mm of juice level left when the filler was puddling on the top after sitting in the condom for about 10 minutes.

Maybe some fillers get packed too tightly in the atty barrel. This one required topping off every few minutes.

dandelionwings

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2011
Lexington, KY
Cartos vary sometimes. Almost all the Boge 2.0 cartos I fill using the condom method soak up the juice quickly (100%pg). Yesterday, I started on a new box and the first one didn't seem to absorb the juice well. I always fill the long silicone cap 2/3 full of juice and then insert the cart. I normally see all the juice soak in. This time there was about 2 mm of juice level left when the filler was puddling on the top after sitting in the condom for about 10 minutes.

Maybe some fillers get packed too tightly in the atty barrel. This one required topping off every few minutes.

i've noticed this on half of the cartos, which is only 2 and i've dropped the remaining amounts through the top. so that may be part of the prob.

DaBatMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Wayne Manor
not me for my next order I'm going straight to the source

Please name this source of yours... or is it James Bond type stuff?

I just bought 300 cartos from Health Cabin during the christmas sale. Wife and I should be good to go for a while.. But she blows through one a day.

Thanks for the tip. Just asking before I check but do they carry the 2ohm lr's in stainless? Seems I can always find black but I like to keep the appearance of my gadgets uniform.

BTW, I'm partical to Boge... as these have seemed to work best with my vaping style.

dandelionwings

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2011
Lexington, KY
perhaps the battery button was accidentally being repeatedly pressed with the carto on it, causing it to overheat? (happens every so often to me when in a purse or pocket -- bcuz i never use the click protection...why? bcuz i'm very very lazy)

i'm not familiar with a click protection---expand? i doubt if this was an issue, atleast not more than once or twice. while, i did have it in my pocket---it was a very open and roomy scrub top pocket and i constantly felt for it cuz uhm yanno it's a new toy lol, but i will keep this in mind --thanks! :D

Wow, never thought of that. Going to try that when I get home.

As to burning: if you vape a lot, you might only get an hour or two before needing to switch or top off. On average, people vape 3-5mg of juice daily which means 3-5 standard cartos in a day.

Why your brand new one burnt, I can't say, but might just be a lemon.

Sent from my easy chair using brainwaves.

wow, that seems like a lot of vaping! at work, it's just a hit here and there---but with this in mind, i switched out while i was at lunch and babied the cartos, every chance that i could today. im still confused why that second saturated one didn't work though.:S

wow--are you saying that she completely uses up a cartos per day? how much does she do to make that happen?

I use tanks with my cartos now but before I did I topped my carto off about once an hour. It sounds to me as if you may have let carto #1 get too dry. They will burn if you take draws when they are too dry. That is the great thing about a tank. Fill it with 3-5 mls of juice and you don't have to refill the carto at all. Once the tank gets low you just refill the tank :)

would a dry be like the "hot" draws that i was getting, even though i was still getting a ton of vapor? if it weren't for the fact that i was getting a ton of vapor, i would have stopped and refilled.

thanks for all of the replies. the last 3 cartos did well, today. i was excessively cautious and i'm trying to pamper them. since i work three jobs, i will have to take all of this in consideration as i try to figure out how many will be needed to prefill, cuz i don't have the time to fill them constantly during most of my work time.
once again, you guys are great. :D

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
...some thoughts...when using the condom fill method, always check the top of the filler...is it "slushy" looking, if not, drip a few drops into it until that "slushy" look appears...give a little blow on the barrel end to insure the center air tube is clear...it is then completely full and ready to vape...
...on the second carto...did it never work at all...period...no vapor, no flavor...apparently nothing at all, like it wasn't even connected????? If so, it could be a dud but it could also be the center pin on the carto is not protruding enough to make contact with the batt...take a very stiff paper clip(straightened), stick it 1/4" into the center air channel and gently pry downward...you should be able to look across the bottom of the threads and BARELY see the center pin protruding...do this gently...if it still doesn't work, consider it dead...
...cartos are cheap, buy plenty of spares since they are meant to be disposable...I buy mine by the bundle(15) from Crystal Clear Vaping ...he has these in both SS and black...also sells the Smoktech 1.7 XL cartos(Resurrectors) Crystal Clear Vaping ...these are longer and hold twice as much juice as the Boges... hoosierecigsupply.com also sell these as well as numerous other vendors such as MadVapes, GoodProphets amongst others.........
madjack:2cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread