Not open for further replies.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I am reviewing the F4313 Carto Pipe from AZSmokefree.com

The Better Way To Smoke - New E-Pipe Kit with Cartomizers

This is my first order from this particular company. As for the company, service was very satisfactory. From ordering to delivery times, everything was handled quickly with no problems. The product arrived well packed in a standard flat-rate USPS box. The product was accompanied by a printed receipt and an neat little pen bearing the company's name. On a side note, the pen was quite nice. It has a LED light built into the top portion with a switch on the side.

As to the product, the Carto Pipe came in a black cut foam lined box. The box held the pipe body with a pipe stem (mouthpiece) attached, an additional stem, three cartomizers in plastic simulated wood colored tubes, an instruction manual, a charger, and two ICR18350 900mah batteries.

Externally, the pipe looks nearly identical to the ubiquitous DSE601 e-pipe and its numerous clones. The only readily identifiable difference is the gold colored band between the pipe stem and the wooden body. Instead of a smooth ring of the standard 601, this one is knurled. This is done for a purpose. With the 601, the stem was attached to the body by means of a simple friction fit. The stem of the Carto Pipe is threaded at it's base. The ring is used to screw on the stem, and a small pin protrudes from the pipe body and mates to a small index hole on the stems to ensure proper alignment.

The body is constructed of the same heavy lacquered wood as a 601. In fact, aside from the 510 non-sealed atomizer connector where the 601 pipe's atty would be, and the stem attaching ring, the Carto Pipe is basically a modified 601. Parts like the jewel caps and the battery connecters/screws are interchangeable between the models.

The pipe came with three older style cartomizers. The pipe appears designed to handle most cartos that have an overall length of around 1 7/8 inches. Unfortunately the supplied cartos were less than stellar performers. Frankly, they sucked. I don't have any clearomizers or cartos in that length to test. I am relatively certain that if any of the more modern generations of cartos in that length were used in this pipe, they would perform quite well.

The pipe has an auto switch, which is probably the same as on a standard 601. It activated easily and deactivated as it should.

If I weren't so desperate for a working e-pipe, I probably would have passed on this pipe and waited for the Janty version to appear. Since I am not much of a carto user, and only use them when out on long road trips, I would have little use for this pipe. I prefer to drip primarily.

I decided to perform a test using a standard 510 atty in the pipe. The problem is that the pipe's 510 connector is quite deep inside the pipe body. A standard sized drip tip makes the combo too long. However, a short style tip (I used a Super T shorty standard T-tip) attached to a standard length atty did work. The overall length was approximately an 8th of an inch shorter than the supplied carto.

There were two problems with this setup. First, the atty/tip combo being shorter caused the pipe stem to feel loose and wobble a bit. This was rectified by adding a thin fiber shim washer to the inside of the pipe/stem lockup ring. The second problem was that the pipe had an extremely light draw. Sort of like sucking in air through a drinking straw. No resistance at all.

This problem was rectified by taking one of the carto's silicone caps, cutting a tiny (tip of a pen) sized hole in the top, trimming a 16th of an inch off the bottom, and inserting it deep into the pipe stem. Through some trial and error, I was able to find a hole size that provided the level of resistance I am accustomed to. Now I can drip using this pipe with a standard or low-resistance 510 atty. Both of which worked quite nicely.

The downside is having to unscrew the stem every now and then to drip. It is sort of silly, considering that I have numerous other devices that can handle my vaping preferences with less hassle. However, I have always liked pipe smoking and miss it dearly. Perhaps later, I may find a cartomizer/clearomizer that functions with this device and alleviates the aforementioned hassle.

In conclusion, the Carto Pipe from AZSmokefree is possibly a fine PV if suitable cartos are used. If you are a pipe fan, and you weren't put off by the looks of the 601, you will probably be satisfied with this. With it's replaceble 510 atty/carto design, it overcomes the biggest design flaw of the 601 series. Hopefully some pipe fan who also likes cartos will pick one of these up and advise which cartos work best with it. I've tried the supplied cartos on a few of my other 510 based mods and have yet to get them to produce any acceptable vapor amounts.

Hope this helps,

Tinstar

Last edited:

MXBNW

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2010
NW Washingtion
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Kimberlee: I totally forgot to come back here and post.

I love mine. I also bought a box not 5 but 50 of the cartos. Its the pipe I wish I had when I got my DES-601.

I did have an LED go out and they replaced the head right away I did have to send mine back but had ordered a 2nd to have around.

All in all a good buy. Just as a tobacco pipe once you get the carto warmed up it just keeps giving good flavor and vapor.

I did start using a AW battery in it (I had them for another mod) it gives a little more boost to the carto but the mAh rating is less then the stock ones. I am also using my Havana Gold 100% VG juice in it and it rocks.

I will try to do a quick Vidio in the next few days and get it posted here.

I hope that helps

MXBNW

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2010
NW Washingtion
Thanks for the reply. Another question, if you don't mind. Will the pipe use standard size 510 cartos or must you use the cartomizers that accompany the kit?

the cartos are not standard cartos but a little longer to work in the pipe. The ones on the site work well. I am sure there are cartos out there that will work I just have not gone looking due to buying 50 with my 2nd pipe.

IMO this pipe is a sleeper not many have posted about it and it looks like a real pipe to me. Like I said I will try to do a vidio this weekend and get it up so you can see the kit and how it works. It is as simple as it gets and for the price you can not beet it. :)

MXBNW

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2010
NW Washingtion
I will and I will show the difference in the cartos compared to the Boge 510's I have

And yes its a 510 connection;.

I also run the AW 18350 AW IMR 18350 700mAh LiMN Rechargeable Lithium Battery in the pipe for a little more kick. Its a better battery IMO. Fit is a little tight but you just adjust the center positive pin a little and it works wonderful. But the Standard battery work good to get started and have a little more run time due to higher mAh rating on them.

I will set some time tomorrow morning for sure to do the vid. Today if all full up with work and a BBQ :)

Kimberlee

Verified Member
Dec 3, 2010
Conneticut
I've got a couple of those and and a few mega cartos. Too bad about the Boges, I just ordered plenty of those. Just thought maybe a sleath 510 to 510, might be the ticket. Also, I've been eyeballing C.C.V.'s Resurector. So if this thing can take one of the many standard mega or xxl sized cartos, I'm in. Again, thank you for all the great information.

MXBNW

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2010
NW Washingtion
I've got a couple of those and and a few mega cartos. Too bad about the Boges, I just ordered plenty of those. Just thought maybe a sleath 510 to 510, might be the ticket. Also, I've been eyeballing C.C.V.'s Resurector. So if this thing can take one of the many standard mega or xxl sized cartos, I'm in. Again, thank you for all the great information.

I never thought about the 510 to 510 I will play with it a little before the vido and see what I can come up with. I do have some different cartos kicking around and will see If I have one that works pipe.

I don not have a stealth 510 to 510 I just checked where did you see them and I will check them out

Last edited:

Kimberlee

Verified Member
Dec 3, 2010
Conneticut
I have a Boge or Bauway 2.0 (I can't recall) and a IKV V2 that are both measuring 1 10/16, the mega dual coil is 2 inches, all measured from end to end. Sorry, I was mistaken, the stealth adapters are not for 510 to 510. The ones I found are at Nhaler and Avidvapor. Just curious how long are your Boges? If you like for your review, I can mail you an IKV V2 just to see if it's compatible.

MXBNW

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2010
NW Washingtion
I have a Boge or Bauway 2.0 (I can't recall) and a IKV V2 that are both measuring 1 10/16, the mega dual coil is 2 inches, all measured from end to end. Sorry, I was mistaken, the stealth adapters are not for 510 to 510. The ones I found are at Nhaler and Avidvapor. Just curious how long are your Boges? If you like for your review, I can mail you an IKV V2 just to see if it's compatible.

It looks like my Boge is 1-7/8 so a little short but could be moded easy to work I think.

I do have a few IKV cartos around and will check them to see if they will work. Can you measure the IKV 2 to see what the length is.

I can order a few to see if they will work as well.

Kimberlee

Verified Member
Dec 3, 2010
Conneticut
The vendor just responded to my email and confirmed what you already stated. The cartos sold for and with this Pipe are "1 3/4 inch (44 1/2 mm)". However, he didn't answer wheter this pipe would be compatible with standard cartos.

Based on our measurements seems standard size cartos would be 1/8" too short and Mega would be 1/4" too long. I still look forward to your review, while I think about this purchase a little longer.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I'm actually about to order some of the newer clearos to test with mine. I must have been asleep at the wheel for noticing your posts earlier.

I've actually been using up my supply of boge cartos on my pipe without issues. I have a slightly cut down carto condom with a small hole (about a hair bigger than a pinhole) cut into the center of the top. It fits into the inside of the pipe stem. It takes up the space between the top inside of the stem and the top of the carto. Since the pipe comes with two stems, I have one modded and one regular. I'm dying to see if clearos work since I'm tired of trying to figure out if the carto is dry when I'm craving a pipe fix.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Technically the stem thread attaches to the pipe body. The cartos that come with the pipe seal up against the top of the inside of the stem when fully attached. Since the provided cartos suck, I took boge and some other misc cartos and stuck them in. Since they were a tad shorter, I took a regular thick carto cap condom, trimmed a bit off the length and punched a small hole in the top. When I stuck it in the pipe stem, it stuck inside a small cutout area near the inside's top. When I used shorter cartos and regular attys with shorty drip tips attached, it kept the draw from being too light. Dripping proved to be somewhat of a pain so I switched entirely over to cartos in the pipe. Only downside was that there was no reliable way to know how topped off a non-clearo CE2 type carto was. So once I use up my stash of boges standard cartos and this pack of CE2s I'll start with whatever clearos I can find that fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread