Carto Punch: Quick Tap QT-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BassPlayersWife

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2013
Spicewood Tx
Hello,
I wanted to share this for people who do not already know about it, its the Quick Tap "thingie" for punching cartos. I saw the PhilB Review on it so I bought one. I can tell you that it is a truly fine carto-puncher. There isnt hardly any distortion on the carto, and it does perfect holes.

What is very nice about it is that you cannot over punch the carto. It has an auto stop that prevents you from going too far in. It is very easy on the hands. It also fits all hands; I have tiny hands, my husband has big huge monster hands.

In his review, Phil drills a hole in one side so you can see where the other hole is for easy perfection, but we didnt do that and it's still very easy to gauge where the hole is. I got mine at Amazon for $6.00 and change, but i also paid $10.00 for shipping. Not sure how that happened as I just did a one click purchase. Maybe there are other options and I missed them.

The first few minutes of Phil's vid show him drilling the hole, but if you get past that, you can see how easy and perfect it works. Its also probably one of the best vids for people new to carto-tanks.

BassPlayersWife

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2013
Spicewood Tx
Thanks for the tip..just ordered one

Did you have to pay $10.00 for shipping? I have been curious if that was due to me buying it with the 1 click method, or if its part of the price. It wouldnt have mattered to me, as I think its well worth the money. Being in Texas, i also had to pay tax, lol, but i think it was like .40 cents.

BassPlayersWife

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2013
Spicewood Tx
I wish I had as well, man that little things works like a champ. I will be ordering a couple more for backup. It's the easiest thing I have used and it takes the guess work out of it.

Phil said that Avid Vapers would be selling them, and I just went to their site. They offer a similar looking one now. It does not have the viewing hole that Phil was hoping they would offer. It also doesnt look like mine. Its $9.99 at AV, I have no clue about shipping. I like mine ;)

Bullet Cartomizer Punch - Avid Vaper

fett701

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2012
hampton rds va
If any of you are interested in this you can get something identical for cheap. Grainger has the supco bpv-31 in stock for $3.75 plus tax with no shipping. I picked up 2 today for $7.88 out the door. It is the same thing and works perfect. It is in the hvac section the description is a bullet piercing valve. The back side is flat with a raised marking so drilling it for a sight hole will be easy.

oh u mad

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
cali
If any of you are interested in this you can get something identical for cheap. Grainger has the supco bpv-31 in stock for $3.75 plus tax with no shipping. I picked up 2 today for $7.88 out the door. It is the same thing and works perfect. It is in the hvac section the description is a bullet piercing valve. The back side is flat with a raised marking so drilling it for a sight hole will be easy.

you can get this at Home depot/Lowes? I guess it's some type of HVAC pipe puncher that a lot of companies probably manufacture. But I don't think there is an actual common name for it?

BassPlayersWife

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2013
Spicewood Tx
I dont know. I thought the device itself was called a tap? And the various sizes it can work with designate which one to get ... but i have no clue. I am sorry I cant help more.

Love mine. Truly.

I did see in the reviews on Amazon that the one i posted used to be around $3.00 as well, but the price has "more than doubled" due to us vapors and the new demand for them, lol.

cigzag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
Northern Indiana
Just thought I'd chime in since most of the prices here seem to be higher than what I paid. I bought two of the Supcos for $8.40 shipped on eBay. Many vendors also sell them by the case there. Pretty sure they are the same thing.

Do you know if the Supco punch will do flanged carto's ? It looks like from the picture that even if it won't then I could drill the end hole larger to accept the flange ?

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Do you know if the Supco punch will do flanged carto's ? It looks like from the picture that even if it won't then I could drill the end hole larger to accept the flange ?

The Supco BVP31 will work with a flanged carto, but the hole will be just a wee bit higher in position than a pre-punched flanged carto (about 1mm or so). I've not had any problems with that slightly higher position.

The photo below shows a BVP31 with a Boge XL (non-flanged). To punch a flanged carto you'll want to insert the carto so the flange is pushed flush against the side of the BVP31. carto2.jpg

finagle69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I'm liking my QT-1. I got to try it out over the weekend. It makes holes a tad smaller than the punch tool I got from Phiniac, but it keeps the shape of the carto so well.

It's very easy to line up the carto to the mark you made for where to punch. I put 3 punches in a carto for Nitelitevapor's Bounty Hunter, and it seems to be working very well.

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
I'm liking my QT-1. I got to try it out over the weekend. It makes holes a tad smaller than the punch tool I got from Phiniac, but it keeps the shape of the carto so well.

It's very easy to line up the carto to the mark you made for where to punch. I put 3 punches in a carto for Nitelitevapor's Bounty Hunter, and it seems to be working very well.
Yeah, it comes out quite convenient doesn't it :)

Conchord George

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
NH
I just punched a Ikenvape carto with the Supco BVP31 Tap tool and it punched very nice uniform perfectly sized holes easily. Very nice, now i'll see how long it will last or how many holes it will punch over time.

A little curious about this myself. I was wondering if they sold replacement tips because after only punching 8 holes in 4 cartos, the tip is already deformed. I did a little research and discovered these are made for use as a permanent repair, meaning single use. In other words, they're meant to punch one hole in copper tubing, not hundreds of holes in steel.
Sharpening them might be something to try. I'll try and get a good pic of mine and post here.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
The needle does deform after multiple uses but it does not appreciably affect the carto punching ability. I would imagine that a super sharp point is a necessity for the BVP’s (and the QT’s) intended purpose of tapping an HVAC line where a clean hole with zero leaking is a must. It’s adopted purpose of a carto punch doesn’t require a super sharp point.

I’ve used my BVP to punch at least 90 cartos so far (including a batch of 50 that I did for my buddy as a favor). So that’s a minimum of 180 holes and probably 200+ since a few were triple punched. Still works just fine with minimal distortion of the casing.

Traditional carto punches that use a screw do become problematic when the screw dulls since there’s not much supporting the carto, and the dull screw dents the casing quite a bit. But, with the BV or the QT, there’s ample support for the carto body which minimizes distortion even with a dullish needle point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread