Status
Not open for further replies.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
Well, I've slept on it and come back to it, and I don't know what to think. Except that maybe cartomizers are terrible and I can't understand why anyone uses them. Or that maybe I've got bad cartos... but five in a row?

Maybe I'm just used to really high vapor production? Do you guys get thick clouds of vapor when you're using a carto? I always hear about how thick the vapor can be from dripping, but my Phoenix, while delicious, doesn't put out as much vapor as my cotton T3s.

This seems the only logical explanation to me.... except that I see videos of folks clouding it up with carto tanks all the time.

I'm pretty good at figuring things out, and I can't think of a single thing I'm doing wrong. Is there anyone else out there with some additional insight?

My tanks do give clouds. Perhaps you need to adjust your Vamo settings? I use mine between 7 and 8 watts and all is fine. I make sure my cartos are "slushy" looking on top. I hear the pop and hiss of the carto and it makes me a happy vape.

Wesley Tyler Robinson

Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Midwest City, Oklahoma
I use Boge cartos at 2.8 ohms at about 10 Watts through a Phiniac tank on a smoktech Zmax. I'm getting pretty decent amounts of vapor... definitely more than my T3s. I got my Boges from Electronic Stix for reference. I would give cartos another shot man. Maybe you did just hit a bad batch, if you're filling them, punching them, and using them correctly. Just don't buy cartos in bulk until you find some from a place that works. For me the ones I got from ES definitely work more than fine.

Bubba

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2010
North Carolina
OK I'm having the exact same problem. Cannot get this to vape right. I'm starting to wonder if there's too much juice. Mine draw is super stiff, and seem to be inhaling nothing but juice. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, have tried several different methods to fill. First one was too dry, resulting in burnt atty, next two seem to be too much juice.

Just wondering how steep this learning curve is, and what the payoff is at the end.

Here's the setup:

Lavatube mini
50/50 juice
pre punched carto @ 2ohms

Also just to update - battery now dead, charger is in the mail...:facepalm:

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
OK I'm having the exact same problem. Cannot get this to vape right. I'm starting to wonder if there's too much juice. Mine draw is super stiff, and seem to be inhaling nothing but juice. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, have tried several different methods to fill. First one was too dry, resulting in burnt atty, next two seem to be too much juice.

Just wondering how steep this learning curve is, and what the payoff is at the end.
The learning curve will be different for everyone. And the payoff could be the best vape you've had yet. Sorry that you're having issues, too.

To address your particular problem, we need more information just as we did with the OP.

What cartomizer are you using (Smoktech or Boge), tool-punched or laser drilled holes? How many?
What juice are you using? PG/VG ratio?
What power source are you using? Fixed or variable voltage. What is the ohm rating of you carto?
What method are you using to prepare (fill) the cartomizer?
Have you viewed the method I use and have you viewed the video in my blog? Did you vary the method in any way?
Are you a chain vapor or intermittant vapor?

Sorry that the above are a lot of questions, but it saves time asking them all at once.

Bubba

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2010
North Carolina
The learning curve will be different for everyone. And the payoff could be the best vape you've had yet. Sorry that you're having issues, too.

To address your particular problem, we need more information just as we did with the OP.

What cartomizer are you using (Smoktech or Boge), tool-punched or laser drilled holes? How many?
What juice are you using? PG/VG ratio?
What power source are you using? Fixed or variable voltage. What is the ohm rating of you carto?
What method are you using to prepare (fill) the cartomizer?
Have you viewed the method I use and have you viewed the video in my blog? Did you vary the method in any way?
Are you a chain vapor or intermittant vapor?

Sorry that the above are a lot of questions, but it saves time asking them all at once.

OK lets see here:

1. Not sure smoketech or boge - they are flanged at the bottom. 2 laser drilled holes
2. Juice is 50/50
3. VV, 2 ohms
4. Have used several methods. First tried dripping into the carto as shown in the video in your blog. That one was burned. Then read about "shaking" the carto like you would a thermometer. Ended up flooded. Also tried the original drip method but this time no shaking like a thermometer, but more juice than the first try. Flooded
5. I'd say intermittant. Don't vape nonstop (especially at work) but vape a pretty good bit at home

Thanks for your help on this - I really want this to work.

As an fyi - the battery is dead in the lavatube now, and the charger I ordered hasn't made it yet. Anything else we do tonight will be in theory only, but I really do appreciate the help.

Also, found out there's a brick and mortar store in my area, stopped in today and bought some assorted stuff. May go back tomorrow and see if they can help. Assuming I get my charger. It was nice to be able to see all the stuff in person, picked up a locking carto tank, couple of drip tips and a few 10 ml bottles of juice to try.

Pic of the setup:

The one in question is on the right

lavatube.jpg

Last edited:

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
Maybe I'm just used to really high vapor production? Do you guys get thick clouds of vapor when you're using a carto? I always hear about how thick the vapor can be from dripping, but my Phoenix, while delicious, doesn't put out as much vapor as my cotton T3s.

I use T3s and carto/tanks. I generally get more vapor from carto/tanks. It's highly unlikely that you have five bad cartos, but it could happen. It really sounds like you're having priming issues.

This seems the only logical explanation to me.... except that I see videos of folks clouding it up with carto tanks all the time.

Vaping on video generally shows you nothing. It reflects a room's lighting more than vapor production. I can make 100% PG juice look like it delivers thick clouds of vapor with the right lights.

floatingtrem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
First off, I'm not having any issues with burning as far as I can tell. I would be able to tell right?

As far as priming goes... is there such a thing as over priming?

Oh, and I noticed these are dual coils (bought at a brick and mortar and asked for just 2.0 cartos, was planning on starting with single coils), could that be effecting things at all?

albcig

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2012
tirana
First off, I'm not having any issues with burning as far as I can tell. I would be able to tell right?

As far as priming goes... is there such a thing as over priming?

Oh, and I noticed these are dual coils (bought at a brick and mortar and asked for just 2.0 cartos, was planning on starting with single coils), could that be effecting things at all?

if you don't prime them correctly they will be damaged, resulting in my experience in constant burnt taste or FLOOD
over priming is not an issue, you can blow of the extra liquid or just vape it away. it will eventually go back to normal wicking after that extra liquid is gone.
i have both dual coils and single coils. i tend to prefer the single coils, they tend to last longer. vape quality th and flavor is very good in them.

i'm loving RBA atys now. pitty they not pocket friendly.

This is important: i tried many type of cartos in my vape life ( nearly 2 years ). i was just about to give up due to their inconsistency until i found the boge and smoktech ones. they perform almost flawlessly.

Last edited:

-db-

Verified Member
Feb 7, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I had the same problem with a box of 1.5 ohm Volcano-/TubeTank-branded cartos that I bought with my first e-cig kit. It seems there was an airflow problem; the cartos were _very_ airy, and a normal pull was probably cooling down the juice/coil enough that it wasn't vaping at reasonable wattages. If I took a _very_ slow and long (10+ seconds!) pull, I could get normal vapor production. If I bumped the wattage way up, I could get decent vapor production with a normal pull (5 seconds). Or maybe the coil didn't have enough contact with the juice/filler.

In any event, I suggest you try Boge LR cartos. I picked up a few boxes from vapelite.info and have four in use at the moment. All of them are performing perfectly. Much better than any other carto I've used.

cheers!
b

Last edited:

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
I just had to comment that I'm currently on my beginner vaper journey. I think I've progressed faster than average. I've started on PVs on 1/22/2013 and already gone through kangers t3, CE2, CE4, Vivi Novas, Genesis RBAs, dripping, and various cartos. I've recently had 2 "holy crap" moments. First one was the first time I tried dripping on a 901 atomizer from Empire. Draw was perfect, flavor was excellent, and TH was just right. I've since picked an Ikenvape 901 1.8ohm rocking it on either a twist or an Evic ~7.2 watts. The latest "holy crap" moment was when I tried a buddy's carto tank using an 801 fusion 2.5ohm at around 7.2 watts. I want to say the flavor was almost more intense than dripping and it had excellent vapor using 30/70 juice. I've got a couple iClear 30s on the way to try out but I'm more excited right now about trying some good cartos/carto tanks.

My point is that after trying all these different delivery types, I've gone full circle back to cartos. I'm not sure what's going on with your setup but I've seen first hand that carto tanks do have the potential to provide an incredible vaping experience.

Last edited:

floatingtrem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
My point is that after trying all these different delivery types, I've gone full circle back to cartos. I'm not sure what's going on with your setup but I've seen first hand that carto tanks do have the potential to provide an incredible vaping experience.
I'm super glad to hear this, because I badly want these carto tanks to work.

I'm headed to the eCig Crib today (local brick and mortar) to see if they can do something for me. I've also got a couple new toys in the mail.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Bubba

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2010
North Carolina
I'm super glad to hear this, because I badly want these carto tanks to work.

I'm headed to the eCig Crib today (local brick and mortar) to see if they can do something for me. I've also got a couple new toys in the mail.

I'll keep you guys updated.

I think I've gotten mine working right now. I was using WAY too much juice to fill the carto. I mean WAY too much. I read on here where some folks say that it should look slushy, etc. For mine, that was too much. I counted it and it was about 15 drops total.

Don't know if this helps but here's what I did:

Take carto out of tank, screw onto device (ego, mod, whatever) - should just look like a pole sticking up on the top of your device

Stick a toothpick (gently) into the airhole in the carto to prevent juice from getting in there

Put about 12 drops in the carto filling. Go slow and rotate carto

DO NOT put tank on yet

install drip tip onto "naked" carto and vape

For me, it was just about right, so slid tank onto carto and filled as usual

No problems since then, have 2 tanks set up and both working well

Hope this helps, seems like you're having same issues I was. There is a learning curve but I seem to be getting it figured out. Trial and error I guess. My problem was I was so scared of burning carto that I flooded the $@# out of it.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Just my :2c: worth. When I tried a carto/tank the first time I wasn't impressed. The more I learned about em the more I like em. At this point in my vaping, if I don't have a carto/tank on my device, then it's gonna be a vision vivi nova. (which is not very often.). I've never tried dual coil carto's even though I do have a box of them. I really like my LR Boges.
(Tip of the hat to Baditude for all the help he provided).

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
One thing to add that I just recently encountered. If you happen to get a drip tip with a small restricted channel it can adversely effect the vapor production. I put a different drip tip on one of my tanks and thought my carto was going bad. I don't know what made me switch the drip tip but when I did everything was back to normal.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Well I guess I don't like the Smoketech Dual Coils.

I picked up some Boge 2.0s (slotted em) and am very pleased.

If you could get the Boge pre punched with 2 holes you would probably like them also. I have been using the Boge xl sr punched cartos in tanks exclusively for over 4 months and love them. I use them on my Vamo or Zmax at 9 watts and get an incredible vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread